"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm with taxy on her first deal breaker: canned "cream of something" soup.

i'm not being snobbish, but i prefer to add my own cream, or milk, salt, and other ingredients.
Me too. Too much sodium for one reason. I like to cook from scratch. I feel like I have accomplished something good.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

yup, the salt and other chemicals that i can't pronounce kill it for me. i'm sure i've had good dishes made with canned stuff, but i probably also thought whatever i ate was too salty.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If you run into a recipe that calls for a can of... you don't make it at all, or you substitute your version of the creamed soup they are calling for?
I would probably make it if I had some of the right kind of soup already made. It would have to sound really, really yummy for me to remember to save some of that kind of soup the next time I made it, just so I would have some for the recipe.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
yup, the salt and other chemicals that i can't pronounce kill it for me. i'm sure i've had good dishes made with canned stuff, but i probably also thought whatever i ate was too salty.
With the holiday time upon us, it is time for that revolting green been, onion ring casserole. I have yet to taste it. Just looking at it turns my stomach.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

a year or two ago, my eldest sis - the great cook in the family - decided to kill off the green been gunk and replace it with a dish of steamed stringbeans, fresh savory, s&p, and the best, grassy evoo she can find (in a small bottle), topping it with fresh, flash fried onions.

the difference is amazing, and you still feel like you've had the traditiinal dish.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
a year or two ago, my eldest sis - the great cook in the family - decided to kill off the green been gunk and replace it with a dish of steamed stringbeans, fresh savory, s&p, and the best, grassy evoo she can find (in a small bottle), topping it with fresh, flash fried onions. the difference is amazing, and you still feel like you've had the traditiinal dish.
Now that is a dish I would eat.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Head Chef

I find the photo of the finished dish is important to me, too. Really, it's part of a larger matter of being able to get a reasonable idea of what the dish will be like. Of course this only applies to unfamiliar or untried dishes, but I want a descriptive review or a good photo or some narrative in the instructions that explain what's happening taste and texture wise. But, yes, the photo is real important, especially when it's something for which there are many versions. It's a little silly, because we don't often know much about the photo. All it really does is tell, yes, that's what you thought they meant. But people don't much buy things on eBay without a photo, either, no matter how good the description. Humans are visual animals. Our other senses aren't that good.

On an entirely different level, no recipe calling for prepared soup, canned fried onions, or margarine need apply.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Head Chef

I don't cook from recipes much, but I would avoid one that has ingredients I can't find around here, or 'exotic' stuff that I don't already have. The grocery stores here in town are abysmal--my sis-in-law came to visit, decided to make borscht, and we had to drive 25 miles to find fresh beets.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
Master Chef

Too many ingredients. About 5 is all I can handle.
I like the simple life.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
Master Chef

Exotic spices or alcohol stop me cold, I already have too many bottles that have no real use in my day to day cooking.

I am at a point in my life where I have to restrict my intake of food so I am constantly looking forward to making some old recipe that I really enjoy.

Tags
recipe