"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that's why we are picky about where we eat out, too. i hate chain places like the olive garden, where i've seen the big bladder of sauces that were produced in some central factory for distribution to their restaurants. their excuse is that it provides for uniform quality, but in the end it's no different than using canned soup.
Attachment 12579That is why I dislike Olive Garden. I would rather cook myself. Better and Cheaper, but the damm dishes!!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that's why we are picky about where we eat out, too. i hate chain places like the olive garden, where i've seen the big bladder of sauces that were produced in some central factory for distribution to their restaurants. their excuse is that it provides for uniform quality, but in the end it's no different than using canned soup.
I have been in mom and pop pizza shops where their sauce came from a one gallon can and their shells were delivered fresh in the morning, so it isn't just limited to chains. Of course, no one talks about Erie County's pizzas like they do New York City's

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #43
Executive Chef

what a great idea for a thread you came up with in "deal breakers", addie!! i have been following it with much interest. it even seems there may be some addie spin-offs--threads with related topics to this one. i would like to add another possible thread subject: what is one dish that you make DESPITE the long list of ingredients, the many steps, the pots and pans? do you have a dish you like so much that you are willing to make an exception to your deal breaker rule? one of mine is paella. paella is a dream dish that is in a class all its own. it rewards me richly every time i attempt it, and the combination of flavors is simply and utterly divine!! for paella the rules just don't apply--not in my book anyhow....:)
Old 12-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #44
Sous Chef

I have just recently picked up my knives again after a several year sabatical, due mainly to the "hubby whines too much" factor. So I have yet to exaust my memory bank of recipes. Pots, pans and steps don't bother me too much, nor do I need a picture of a finished dish. When I get back to cookbooks and other sources, my deal breakers are.

Olives.
Anchovies
Sun Dried Tomatoes
Imitation Crab

I am fortunate to live in a fairly diverse ethnical area and most ingredients are just a short 20 min drive away, with a really good meat market and farmstand in between here and there. I am also teaching my 12 yr. old daughter to cook, so steps that she can help with are a plus for me.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #45
Master Chef

Site Administrator

My deal breaker tends to be if I am going to spend a lot of money on that one esoteric ingredient that I have no use for afterwards, of if I have to go through some arcane ritual just to prepare it.

I also stop when I am looking for something "scratch" and the main ingredient is canned. For instance, I was looking for some ideas on scratch tomato sauces, to better understand the process from starting with a tomato, and 80% started with 1 28oz can tomatoes. Gah.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
My deal breaker tends to be if I am going to spend a lot of money on that one esoteric ingredient that I have no use for afterwards, of if I have to go through some arcane ritual just to prepare it.

I also stop when I am looking for something "scratch" and the main ingredient is canned. For instance, I was looking for some ideas on scratch tomato sauces, to better understand the process from starting with a tomato, and 80% started with 1 28oz can tomatoes. Gah.
A good time to refer to Andy M's signature
I think most people refer to making a sauce from scratch as to not opening a can of Prego and adding stuff to it. Cans of tomatoes are acceptable.
And there's also the, "You need to buy your tomatoes and make your own sauce" crowd.
And then there is, "How can you buy those grocery store tomatoes? You should grow your own. It's easy." There is those purists.
And then there is Carl Sagan.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #47
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Oh no I get it, and I use the canned crushed tomatoes for my sauce usually.

BUT.. Kathleen had started her garden and we had designs on turning tomatoes into a nice sauce. That recipe does not start with opening a can of tomatoes.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Then that is as scratch as it gets. Just don't be adding any jarred garlic to it
Old 12-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #49
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Then that is as scratch as it gets. Just don't be adding any jarred garlic to it
She was supposed to put her garlic in to overwinter...

And who needs jarred when we have that cool way to peel it now?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Dawgluver - YAY! Glad to know I'm not alone in my "swill" habits. Its not that I can't or don't make gourmet meals, its just not the only thing I do. I have kids and a husband to please after all.

(One of their favorite meals is chicken thighs that are cooked in a mixture of ketchup, brown sugar and salsa. Sweet and tangy chicken...they LOVE it)
One of the favorite dishes in my circle of friends is Funeral Chicken. A bottle of Thousand Island salad dressing, one can of cranberry jelly sauce and chicken thighs. Mix dressing and cranberry sauce together, smear on chicken, let marinate and then bake. The most ghastly looking dish you ever saw, yet delicious. I have to turn it down. I am diabetic and the jelly sauce has too much sugar in it. And then when I look at the ingredients in the bottle dressing? UGH!!!!

The name came about becuse it is simple to make and to take to a home for an after services luncheon. I would have thought it came about because the poor chicken had to die before she would let herself be seen with that goo all over her.

Tags
recipe