"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Tomatoes are acidic enough that it is almost impossible to find canned tomatoes that don't have BPA lining the cans. Even the organic stuff from the health food store has BPA lined cans. BPA is estrogenic. I'm not supposed to eat estrogenic foods, so I buy passata in bottles and tomato sauces in jars. I read the labels.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #72
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Will have to take a look at my grocery store's expired shelves. I use fresh tomatoes mostly in sandwiches. But using your method, I could make a quick sauce for one (Lydia Style) very easily. Yesterday I made an Alfredo sauce with spinach and Angel Hair pasta. Delicious.

Sautes the spinach in butter. Tossed in the cooked Angel Hair pasta, added a couple of very large tablespoons of freshly grated Parma cheese, with some more butter and about a quarter of cup of cream. I let it simmer for about two minutes. Long enough for the cheese to completely melt. The pasta soaked up the suace like it was starving. Yet there was still enough in the bottom of the bowl to use my spoon to get every last drop. I still have a half package of spinach left. May just make that again today.
Addie! Please write this one up and put it in the Pasta Forum, so it doesn't get lost!!! You can just copy and paste it into a new thread there.!!! Yum!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Will have to take a look at my grocery store's expired shelves. I use fresh tomatoes mostly in sandwiches. But using your method, I could make a quick sauce for one (Lydia Style) very easily. Yesterday I made an Alfredo sauce with spinach and Angel Hair pasta. Delicious.

Sautes the spinach in butter. Tossed in the cooked Angel Hair pasta, added a couple of very large tablespoons of freshly grated Parma cheese, with some more butter and about a quarter of cup of cream. I let it simmer for about two minutes. Long enough for the cheese to completely melt. The pasta soaked up the suace like it was starving. Yet there was still enough in the bottom of the bowl to use my spoon to get every last drop. I still have a half package of spinach left. May just make that again today.
I suppose every store is different. By the time they hit the clearance rack they are no longer sandwich grade, and occasionally, you may have to carve out a few blemishes and black spots, but for the most part they are still fine and plenty ripe for sauce....
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Addie! Please write this one up and put it in the Pasta Forum, so it doesn't get lost!!! You can just copy and paste it into a new thread there.!!! Yum!
Done. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I suppose every store is different. By the time they hit the clearance rack they are no longer sandwich grade, and occasionally, you may have to carve out a few blemishes and black spots, but for the most part they are still fine and plenty ripe for sauce....
I know that the store where I shop gives a lot of their 'not so nice' produce to the food bank. But like you said, some is just not fit for any spot but the clearance shelves. Will have to take a look. I have a nice sharp knife just waiting to cut out those bad spots. Thanks for the suggestion. I would much rather make a quick tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes than opening a can of them and using one or two of the tomatoes. Cooking for one is quite a challenge.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #76
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That taste comes from billy goat.

I know folks who raise goats and make goat cheese and they won't own a billy goat, just so the milk won't get that special taint.

I still try goat cheese at least once a year to make sure I still dont like it. I will continue to do so. Maybe Ill find one I like. I have had tried it in man restaurants and from the supermarket. I still cant do it.

Maybe one of these days, but I am not keeping my hopes up. Just thinking about it I can taste it.

Tags
recipe