What is your favorite "combination" spice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
I'm sure it could be easily duplicated with a little trial and error, but I love Lawry's Garlic Salt. I also really like Old Bay for seafood.

I don't know if this one qualifies as a "combination spice", but I really enjoy vanilla sugar (made from the last bean I was able to afford recently!).

In my first order from Penzeys, I also grabbed some of their Shallot-Pepper Seasoning that is indescribably wonderful on fish and chicken. It contains Tellicherry black pepper, tarragon, shallots and bay leaves.

One of the many joys I've received from this site is the introduction to Penzeys. Thank you so much for that one!!!

Rachel Ray is always using grill seasoning, so I had planned to try some. It's a definite now that it has received multiple recommendations. The latest Penzeys catalog arrived earlier this week and I looked under G, but no grill seasoning was listed. I'm going to check closer because it may be listed as something else. If not, our local supermarket has McCormick-Schilling, and their products are usually okay.

Tony Satcheries and Chesapeake Bay Seafood Seasoning for fish and other seafoods

Lee & Perrins Worchester Sauce is a diving blessing. Add anchovy paste, crushed garlic, salt, pepper and chives to a tupperware and marinate steak in it. DIVINE.

One of these days I'm going to try and reformulate my basic poultry seasoning. I haven't tried that in awhile, but I seem to be pretty good about seasoning anything chicken-flavored (such as a roast chicken, chicken pilaf, etc.) by hand with seasonings I have in my pantry. I also tend to formulate most of my own seasoning mixes. I don't know why, but I just like to play with the flavors.

I also make my own Mexican seasoning, as well as Blackened Seasoning (although that recipe is courtesy of Chef Prudhomme's cookbook).

I think the only store-bought seasoning mixes I use are Broiled Steak Seasoning and Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

mudbug, that was terrible... :D

otter, i love lawry's seasoned salt. i put it on everything, corn, salads, london broil, baked taters. i'll have to try their garlic salt.

my fav blended seasoning is what is normally referred to as italian seasoning (what else?). a combo of oregano, parsley, basil, majoram, savory, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground bay.

I wanted to fill out my Penzeys order, so I'm getting some of their Chicago Grill Seasoning. I've seen the Montreal Steak Grill Seasoning locally, and there were also a few McCormick other ones, so maybe the Key West will be an option also.

My favorites over the years have become Lawrey's in general (great in macaroni and potato salads, or just on cottage cheese), Cavender's Greek when I need a "garlic salt" (love the sage edge in it), and any of the Montreal Grill seasonings. RR says she doesn't buy the chicken because chicken grill seasonings have some chicken broth powder in them. I suppose I buy them FOR that reason. Gives some real flavor to the skin, or better yet, if you're going skinless, gives you some of that flavor you're missing. Oh, don't forget Old Bay for anything seafood.

I also buy any pastes, sauces and mixes by Thai Kitchen and Patak. These two lines give me great flavor without trying to maintain a kitchen full of spices that only hubby and I will eat, so we cannot put a dent in them. Although I will in the summer (when herb garden is at its fullest) make Thai green curry paste from scratch, I love to be able to make Thai and Indian dinners for the two of us with these assists.

Back
Top Bottom