What is your favorite non expensive dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm another fan of beans. lentil soup, too, with either ham base or a ham hock.

Anita's Barbecued Meatloaf

:)
* Exported from MasterCook *

Anita's Barbecued Meatloaf

Recipe By :Anita Bowell - Friend
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 slices day-old bread
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 teaspoons salt -- or less
2 teaspoons black pepper -- or less
1 egg
1 can tomato soup -- divided
1 small onion -- minced
1/2 can water
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Soak bread in water; squeeze out excess. Add to ground beef, along with salt, pepper, egg, 1/2 can tomato soup and onion. Mix and shape into a loaf. Place in a shallow baking pan or loaf pan. Mix remaining soup, 1/2 soup can water, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over loaf. Bake uncovered at 350 F. for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Serves 6

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 405 Calories (kcal); 31g Total Fat; (69% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 128mg Cholesterol; 933mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : This is one of the best flavored meatloaves I've ever made. Its an old Campbell's soup recipe and I've made it since the 60's. Anita was my children's babysitter as well as a close friend. The sauce for the top is good on other meatloaves too!
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

My all time favorite meal, and you can pay as much or as little for it as you like is:

Fresh fruit, good cheeses, baguette and a bottle of wine

Next would be pasta almost any way

I've been away a long time,
Also, I see that my webpage address automatically came up. I haven't worked on my site for over 2 years. Don't bother to go there. I'm hoping to start redoing it soon.

Thanks

Geraldine Duncann

Last edited:
Geraldine, you can go to the top of this page and click on "user cp". Then, you'll notice to the left that you can change/edit your profile very easily. That way you can get rid of your unwanted tag line :)

my cheap and easy dishes are:

hot dogs and baked beans casserole (covered in cheesy mashed potatoes and baked like a shepard's pie)

linguine with white or red clam sauce

baked ziti

potted beef and gravy

Spryte, are you talking about chipped beef?

My family loves what we call SOS...Chipped beef in white sauce, with mushrooms and peas, over toast or bisquits. Sure would be fine over mashed potatoes too!
Ground beef is great fixed that way too...brown the beef, pour off most of the fat, stir in a little flour, S&P, then add milk. Cook and stir until thickened, add mushrooms and peas, or whatever (a can of drained peas and carrots, or baby peas with pearl onions) and cook till warmed through. Add a little cheese if you wish, and stir until melted.
Serve on toast, bisquits, or mashed potatoes.

There was a time in my life that I lived off bacon grease gravy and white bread for several weeks. Didn't hurt me one bit, and it sure made me appreciate what I have now.
My family teases me about hoarding food, but once you have been hungry, you never forget it. Depending how much I scrimped, I could feed all of us for 6 months to a year out of my freezer and pantry.

Glop

Mine would be Glop. I grew up with it.
Cooked rice and add a can of Cream of whatever soup + 1 can of water or broth.
Add any leftover veggies and meat.
Nuke or bake until hot.
It's Glop because that is the sound it makes when you plop it on the plate.

Don't judge me... but I LOVE Ramen Noodles... probably a side effect of college... there's also this place called Mad Mushroom Pizza, who has $3.99 Large Cheese Pizzas on Mondays and Tuesday

College Cook,my roomate(or whatever) adds stuff to Ramen noodles. His favorite is Parmesan and butter. Also leftover vegetables or chicken.

He calls them jail noodles cuz the guys in jail can buy them and heat them in their cell he says.

i eat ramen noodles, college cook,lol! they're good.:LOL: and how else can you feed yourself for 11 cents, 9 cents on sale?!:rolleyes:

We eat lots of the noodle variations. We can buy Indonesian and Thai versions here as well. We always add either corn or peas and an egg. If there is meat leftover that is added as well.

I am almost embarrased to mention tuna noodle casserole, but I do love it. I add chunks of cheese which melts in the oven.

Pam

Don't be embarassed Pam...I love it too! In fact, I've been known to sneak bites out of the fridge when it's cold.

I make mine with a couple cans of tuna, wide egg noodles, peas, mushroom soup and Velveeta Cheese Lite.

Glad you mentioned it...think I'll make some tonight.

i forgot tuna and elbow macaroni salad. i could eat pounds of it.
and stir fries too. the stir fry i made last night was enough to feed 4 people well, and only cost about $9. it had string beans ($1), onions ($.50), carrots ($.50), celery ($.50), bell pepper($1), garlic ($.25), boneless chicken thighs ($3.50), and leftover chinese brown sauce, soy sauce, and hot pepper flakes from take out ($.75). Served with white rice ($1), it was a good and healthy meal.

hah! i made you add...:-p

Cottage Pie is of course the English answer to good, cheep and quick: your leftover chopped up meat and vegetables, gravy and a mashed potato crust. Put in the oven until the potatoes begin to brown a bit. Yum.

Cottage Pie if made with beef or pork, Shepherds Pie if made with lamb or mutton.

Geraldine Duncann

my Dad just made a batch of tuna macaroni salad, bucky. it's so oniony, though, that i'm afraid to taste it. too many social engagements for that, lol.:LOL:

I think my family is the only one on the face of the earth that has never had ramen noodles.

hey........
how about this...
let's see who can make the cheapest nutritious dinner and posts the actual cost (tax included)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom