"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-25-2006, 05:04 AM   #31
Head Chef

I was served Spanish olive oil at a dinner party once and it was excellent! So much so that people took notice of it. Can't recall the brand though but it was packaged in a very nice bottle.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:41 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
Before commenting further, I think some clarification of what "Soprano syndrome" means to me is in order. When Ayrton introduced the term first, I took it to be in a humorous vein alluding perhaps to "mafia" tactics in OO marketing and promotion. This of course is my interpretation of the term and whatever relevant comments I have made reflect it.
Spot on, Boufa! Thanks for catching my drift!

Old 11-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #33
Senior Cook

For everyday OO I use either Whole Foods 365 EVOO or Costco. The Costco only comes in large bottles and unless I have an immediate use I use the 365 which I buy in 1 litre bottles -for $5.99/L.

For the nice stuff I make an annual purchase of a few small lot small pressings of Tuscan oils thru a company out of Sonoma called Rare Wine Company. Yeah these can be a bit pricey but wow the flavor.

An example of the differences is illustrated in two bottles from the same grove, press and bottlers o called "Podere san Giuseppe". The difference was that one was harvested on Oct 29,05 and the other Nov10,05. the Oct was so fruity and grassy while smooth as silk, the latter was not as smooth in fact harsh and lacked much of the fruit.

What was the difference? Twelve days and three of them rain. Not all oils even in tiny lots will show so dramatically their differences of course because the lots are blended like wine to produce the taste they wish to sell.

On a trip to Switzerland in Sept I was given a Litre of Sicilian EVOO by a friend who gets 20 litres each year from her parents farm. It is so mild that to me it tastes almost like Crisco Veg oil with a touch of olive but wow did it make a fine mayo.

In short, it does matter which oil you use and every year you must sample and choose.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #34
Sous Chef

Thanks once again to you all! This discussion is wonderful and will surely help me to find a good oil.

Keep it coming!!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #35
Head Chef

My favorite Olive Oil is Del Papa Genuine Italian Olive Oil.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:13 AM   #36
Master Chef

Some of us don't have all the options you're talking about (not to mention the budget). My consistent favorite is a Greek brand ... when I can get it. I just checked and my pantry now has DaVinci. It is OK, not my favorite. I like a lot of flavor, and this is just so-so. Over the years I've actually found Pompeii to be readily available and tasty. I wish I could remember the name of the Greek one I buy when I can get it.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I don't like the greener,grassy oils. They're raved on about , but I prefer yellow-golden , fruity olive oil.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Some of us don't have all the options you're talking about (not to mention the budget). My consistent favorite is a Greek brand ... when I can get it. I just checked and my pantry now has DaVinci. It is OK, not my favorite. I like a lot of flavor, and this is just so-so. Over the years I've actually found Pompeii to be readily available and tasty. I wish I could remember the name of the Greek one I buy when I can get it.
Claire, I know that Minerva and Altis are big exporters. Could yours be one of these?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook987654
I don't like the greener,grassy oils. They're raved on about , but I prefer yellow-golden , fruity olive oil.
cook, the greenish olive oil is from unripe olives whereas the golden one is from fully ripen olives. The green olive oil should be bitter as well due to the unripeness of the olives used. If this is not the case, it's probably coloured to look green because the olives from green olives is supposed to be of higher quality, have medicinal value, and therefore command a higher price as well. Personally, I prefer golden olive oil.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
cook, the greenish olive oil is from unripe olives whereas the golden one is from fully ripen olives. The green olive oil should be bitter as well due to the unripeness of the olives used. If this is not the case, it's probably coloured to look green because the olives from green olives is supposed to be of higher quality, have medicinal value, and therefore command a higher price as well. Personally, I prefer golden olive oil.
Yes I know. So do Greeks prefer the more golden oil made from riper olives or the earlier, greener,grassier ?

Tuscan oil is known to be very peppery and green. Why is Tuscan oil so raved on about?