"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Anything that is less than 25 dollars!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook987654
Yes I know. So do Greeks prefer the more golden oil made from riper olives or the earlier, greener,grassier ?

Tuscan oil is known to be very peppery and green. Why is Tuscan oil so raved on about?
cook, I couldn't answer for all Greeks but just for myself. As in any large group, there will be all kinds of tastes and preferences. There is quite an appreciation of EVOO from green olives which is called 'Agoureleo' meaning 'unripe oil.'

About Tuscan oil, is 'peppery' a hyped term for bitter? As for the raving, who is doing it? By this, I do not mean that there is something wrong with Tuscan EVOO but the way it's said it sounds as if EVOOs have fan clubs or even groupies for whom EVOO is about all there is in life. Again, there is no offence meant. I am however, a bit irked from the heavy-handed marketing hype. Question in point: Is Tuscany EVOO always of the same type? No variations in character result from factors such as year-to-year growing conditions, time of harvest, soil makeup from region to region within Tuscany etc?

Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #43
Sous Chef

Olive oil, cook, is a question of taste.Some like it green, others like it yellow; some enjoy the fruity flavours, others prefer something a little more acid and peppery.
What I have perceived over the last few years is the emphasis on "Extra Virgin Olive Oil" with everything. That does not seem to be correct, to my point of view. I'm sure the Italians, and the Spanish, and the Greeks and the Morrocans, for example, do NOT use EVOO for everything, but perhaps straightforward olive oil, or even oil made from the olive must. It reminds me of the "Sundried Tomato" fad a few years back. Sundried tomatoes with everything!!
What ever. Thanks to you all, I'm now immersing myself in the subtleties of olive oil. Any more suggestions are very welcome!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #44
Executive Chef

A bit late, Clive, but here;s my thoughts. We go through a lot of OO, so when I see Bertolli on sale, I buy it. But, I was recently given a bottle of EVOO from Greece. Marketed by www,oliviers-co.com I believe they have an outlet here in TO. The one I was given is Rafteli, from Lesbos. Here's what they say about it:

The mill belonging to the Rafteli - Protouli family isa located to the south of the aegean island of Lesbos, in the coastal region around Plomari. Inheriting a thousand year old tradition, this family nonetheless does not hesitate to keep only the best of it's past to be able to achieve progress. Cultivated at an altitude of between 400 and 600 metres, Kolovi olives are always harvested by hand, but presed in a modern mill. Their juice is unctuous and aramotic, with notes of artichocke and tomato.

Other than the EVOO my sister has brought back from Sicily from her family's vineyards, this is the most incredible oil I've had yet! The taste is exquisite.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:22 AM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook987654

Tuscan oil is known to be very peppery and green. Why is Tuscan oil so raved on about?
"Cause it can taste so good. The truth is that there are many tastes in olive oils as in other foods. I prefer the ones I like and you will have your preferences. To label either as "Wrong" would be foolish, even if I do love those grassy peppery full Tuscan oils.

edit: I just found out that the first Tuscan pressings are coming into the US now, this is the '06 crop.Yes it should be very grassy--I'd rather call it green tasting but by this time next year a bottle bought now will still be good but have little of that grass left, nor much of the pepper.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Must be EVOO. The Wal Mart brand is fine. $7+ . Many others on the shelf are fine too.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:43 AM   #47
Senior Cook

I like Stonehouse brand olive oil. They also have great flavored olive oils, including lemon, orange and garlic.
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:45 AM   #48
Senior Cook

Clive, you might want to check this out:

Huile d'olive tourisme oléïcole visite de moulins à huile d'olive culture oliviers huile d'olive

It's a website hosted in Nimes, showcasing olive-based agriculture in France, Spain and Portugal. You can take tours of the areas, sample the olive products, make contact with the local farmers...

P.S. Don't know why the link screwed up. It's terra-olea.org.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:16 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

We buy/use Pompeian out of habit........
Old 12-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #50
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Must be EVOO. The Wal Mart brand is fine. $7+ . Many others on the shelf are fine too.
Thanks a lot for the thoughts, but there's no way I can import Walmart Olive Oil for distribution here. It has to be an "unusual" brand!
There's nothing wrong with the shelf brands - I frequently use Bertorelli, Coricelli, La Espaņola, Monaco, Romulus, etc., etc..

The whole point is to find something different, not presently commercialized.