"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 12-18-2006, 01:25 AM   #51
Senior Cook
For just regular cooking, I use Bertolli (or wahtever's on sale/cheapest...usually Bertolli). I just don't notice THAT much of a difference between them to really care about what type I use, so long as it's extra virgin.

However, there are some dishes I make that are really centered around the olive oil in some way shape or form...at which point i pull out my "special" bottle--a company called "Manni's". I paid over 250 dollars for this bottle, so I'm quite careful with it. I don't treat it with the same reverence I have for that bottle of...by now I guess it's 106 years old...balsamic vinegar, but not far off of it.

Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:08 AM   #52
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by cliveb
For once, I'm going to ask a serious question.

Having just experienced 2 Xmas bazaars, I was left with the distinct feeling that everyone looks for something NEW. 3 items were particularily successful; a hot garlic sauce, an Indian condiment called Kasundi, and a neat little concoction I called "Christmas Chutney"!
Next year I want to import some decent, but not TOOOOO expensive, Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Most decent brands here sell at about $10 a bottle (500cc, 750cc or 1lt), but it's always the same old stuff; El Gallo, La Española, Monaco, Colavita, Di Cecco, Bertorelli. I want to find something different. It could be a little more expensive, it could just be a little out of the way ( Turkish or Greek, for example). Project for this year, then - learn all about olive oil.

And that is where you can all help, with your vast experience in things culinary. Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, brand names that you love?
Clive, you might go to La Tienda's website and take a look at their Spanish olive oils. I order from them (they are in VA) and their products are excellent. I have just ordered some of their OOs. You may be able to find them direct from Spain.
Personally I love the French oils and they are not at all common to find. Do a search for Mausanne des Alpilles and see if you can find an olive oil mill. Theirs is excellent.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #53
Sous Chef
Thanks, Candocook! Every road shall be explored!
cliveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #54
Executive Chef
I use Lio oils. You can dip and cook with them. I originally bought a bottle because it looked nice 6-7 years ago. Now I just get the gallon tins and refill my oil bottles as needed.

:: LIO :: The Art of Olive Oil
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #55
Executive Chef
Clive, I received a 4 bottle case (different flavors) of Alejandro & Martin for Christmas and it is excellent. I was going through their website and and it seems they sell wholesale and will send you samples. My DIL probably bought it from Williams Sonoma or some such store.

Alejandro and Martin - Exquisite Olive Oils Online
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #56
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Olive Oil is something I hold dearest to my heart, living so close to San Francisco and being able to buy such good dipping bread!

On the night's I don't feel too guilty, I get my collection from around the world. I am particularily in to First Cold Press Extra Virgin Australian Olive Oil right now, It's very mild and slightly fruity, which is very exciting. I purchased it from Trader Joes, and it was around $8 for the 500ml bottle.

As I am sure you have heard, but it bears repeating, for dipping and salad dressing oil, you can never go wrong with any First Cold Press Extra Virgin oil, no matter what the origin. A small plug for a local supplier, Stonehouse (Stonehouse California Olive Oil Company, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegars) Sevillano is the best California Olive Oil i've had!

stinemates is offline   Reply With Quote