"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #21
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Panera sourdough
Very good bread! I buy it for BLT's when I want something different. I really love their asiago cheese bread, I can't buy it very often because I eat it plain and too much of it lol. Love making croutons with both kinds.

I actually baked there last summer for a few months on the overnight shift just to try something different. My back didn't like it at all but I learned a lot and got lots of free baked goods. :P

Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #22
Head Chef

For a long time I made my bread, but I've gotten lazy. Now I just buy store bread because all I use it for is to make tuna melts. If I want to eat bread, I'll make a French baguette and have that with butter, but I don't do that very often anymore. Oh, and maybe French toast once in a blue moon.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek eats any bread, usually whole grain white. I only eat rye bread and that is rare. I must have rye toast with my sunny-side up eggs.
That is my go to toast when we go out for breakfast. When we make Cuban sandwiches or have a Cuban dinner, its Pan Cubano all the way. Well, except for Midea Noches.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #24
Cook

Don't have one go to bread, it depends on the time I have and, the meal I'm serving bread with, as well as any special needs of my guests. I make my own if I have time, if not, I buy whatever is needed.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #25
Head Chef

We eat less and less bread as time goes on..

I have been picking up TJ's Sliced French Brioche the past couple of months..
Other than a good sourdough or to make an old fashioned pb&j, this bread serves most all our needs..

Great for grilled most anything, french toast and just toast with butter and jam...

Ross
Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
Very good bread! I buy it for BLT's when I want something different.
I love Boudin's sourdough even more than I like Panera's, but the cost of having it shipped from San Francisco is cost prohibitive. 6 loaves cost $29.99, but second day air shipping is $17.95, resulting in a per loaf cost of $7.99, and they are only 1 pound loaves. Panera cost me less than 5 bucks a loaf, plus gas, and it is baked that morning.

I do bring several loaves back with me when I visit San Francisco and freeze it.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #27
Senior Cook

We have an incredible bakery a few metres from our apartment in Barcelona, and we pick up a French style Baguette or a rustic Galician bread called a "Barra" which is slightly twisted at each end and is whole meal or whole wheat or a Chapata freshly baked and hot, when we are both home and not travelling ..

When we are not working, we like to go to the Central Market called La Mercat de La Boqueria and pick up a couple of "olive breads " ..
Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
We have an incredible bakery a few metres from our apartment in Barcelona, and we pick up a French style Baguette or a rustic Galician bread called a "Barra" which is slightly twisted at each end and is whole meal or whole wheat or a Chapata freshly baked and hot ..

When we are not working, we like to go to the Central Market called La Mercat de La Boqueria and pick up a couple of "olive breads " ..
I'm actually drooling just thinking about the fantastic Baguettes in Barcelona. Nothing in SA comes close. Miss the food most :(
Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #29
Master Chef

I use a granary loaf for my daily. Sasko low GI . South African brand I'm sure no one here will know. My family like dark bread. Either granary, pumpernickel or rye.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #30
Head Chef

I have problems with fiber so I cant have rye, which is my big sorrow, I love a good mortal combat loaf, dense Swedish rye bread that can be used as weapon because the weight.

So here I mostly make Farmers loaf or Swiss farmers loaf or Greek farmers loaf, which are all just white wheat bread. For Christmas I make Wort bread, which contain rye but just a little. IF I get store bought bread is French bread or Toast bread of Tunnbröd ( flattbread).

Oh and from the Arabic baker we get pita and seamy bread, it divine.

Tags
bread