"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: When beatings eggs do you want them completely blended?
Yes, no white blotches please 13 59.09%
No, I like my blotches 1 4.55%
Who cares, either way is good with me 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

When my sons were still at home they used to break the eggs in the hot pan and mix them up just because they were too lazy to put them in a bowl and beat them properly.
Then they would squeeze catchup all over that yellow and white mess and call it good.

I'm glad they have wives who have to deal with them now.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I use a whisk and a whisking bowl. Beat them until they're pretty well mixed, still a little "spotty.". The bowl I had was an old Norpro with a completely round bottom and a flared rim for a handle. When I found a set of three similar Cuisinart ss bowls with the flared rim handle, I gave away the old Norpro. The Cuis's have a small flat bottom that I don't quite like as much. I wonder if I can get the old bowl back...but when I do shelter breakfast, the eggs get scrambled in a 2 qt. ss water pitcher with an immersion blender. Every second seems to count. 2 dozen plain scrambled and a dozen more scrambled with chorizo. The stick is a 200 watt Braun and does three dozen eggs in about ten seconds.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Arm wrestling I'd say 50/50
Old 04-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I make scrambled eggs, I break the eggs into the pan, add milk & butter and then stir like crazy.

If I'm making what my mother called a "French omelette", I beat the eggs with a fork, but not so much that it's completely liquid. If I'm making something fluffier or breading something, I beat the eggs with a whisk until there is no stringiness left.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I like mine mixed in pretty well. I don't mind if it is a little spotty, but I don't want any glaringly big white lumps.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

For French omelettes, I beat in a bowl with a fork to which I've added 1/2 egg shell of milk or cream for each egg. For scrambled, I melt the butter in a CI, break the eggs directly into the pan, and stir with a fork as the eggs cook. I don't add liquid to my scrambled eggs any more. Welcome to DC, I too have a small flock of hens (16) and an organic garden. Love those fresh eggs! How many hens and what kind are yours (mine are Rhode Island Reds (11), Plymouth Rocks (3), and Buff Orpingtons (2)...thinking of adding a couple of Polish hens, but haven't found those yet).
Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your response. I have 18 hens now. Mix of Buffs, Morans, and Americanas. The Buff's are so friendly that my children walk around with them in their arms and if you kneel down they will try to get on your lap. We got those for the assortment of colors of the eggs. Dark brown, pinkish, blue/green tints. They are beautiful and delicious! I had Polish hens many years ago and loved them!!!! They are friendly and I love their looks! We have a local Agway (store) that sells chicks but you can try murray mcmurray hatchery. They have a wide variety plus the website is fun to look at. Lots of good pics of chicks, poultry and exotic fowl.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I ordered scrambled eggs at a locally own restaurant once and the eggs were cracked on the grill whole, left to set partly then scrambled. YUCK!!!! That experience made sense of the remark I heard once by a elderly lady. She said "he beat up the eggs in a bowl first like they do in fancy restaurants". I grew up eating eggs that were thoroughly beaten before cooking. Any other way is totally unappetizing to me.
Spare the rod and spoil the omelette!

That's how we did it in the Army. KP personnel would crack two eggs to a bowl and line the bowls up all the way to Tennessee if necessary (I was at Fort Knox, KY), then as you came down the chow line you were asked, "up or scrambled?" Thebowl of eggs were then dumped onto the griddle, and if you wanted them scrambled, the cook would mix them up with a spatula as they cooked. I do them the same way at home, only in my Calphalon non-stick Everyday pan rather than on a griddle.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, i've got a weird one.

when my boy was about 5 years old, he wanted to invent his own recipe. since i was making him eggs, i let him decide how to make them.

he cracks 2 eggs, seperating the whites and yolks into 2 bowls. the yolks are just broken and mixed a little while the whites are whisked briskly, adding freshly cracked black pepper to the whites as they become a little fluffy.
the whites and yolks are sort of foldedded together and it is all oured in a hot buttered pan to cook. as soon as it mostly sets, it's flipped to finish the top side for just a few seconds.

the result is a strangely good, spotty white and yellow egg, somewhat between fried and scrambled.

he calls them his spotted eggs.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I make scrambled eggs, I break the eggs into the pan, add milk & butter and then stir like crazy.

If I'm making what my mother called a "French omelette", I beat the eggs with a fork, but not so much that it's completely liquid. If I'm making something fluffier or breading something, I beat the eggs with a whisk until there is no stringiness left.
This is more or less what I do.

In short, I'm not really that worried about yolks and whites being completely integrated, unless a recipe specifically calls for that.

Tags
beating, eggs, mixing, omelet