"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #91
Assistant Cook

Chicken Enchiladas

My 14 year old nephew has been asking for Chicken Enchiladas for his birthday dish for several years now. We also had it for Christmas one year. I found the recipe in the February 1998 issue of Bon Appetit (still my favourite issue). I liked it and moved on from there to Rick Bayless' mole sauce. The mole now takes me most of a day to make (I'm good but very slow) but it is worth it.

Here is the link to the Epicurious recipe:

Chicken and Green Olive Enchiladas Recipe at Epicurious.com

Old 11-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #92
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to loren1daniel
My signature dish is spinach lasagne.
I made it for friends and colleagues of office.
Its a simple dish which requires fresh spinach, red sauce, noodles and finally lots of cheeses.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #93
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I guess one of my signature dishes is French Canadian tourtière. It's a meat pie with three kinds of ground meat and no gravy in the pie. It is served with gravy or home made ketchup. It's a traditional winter dish. It'a getting time to make some. I usually make three at a time and freeze two of them. The stuff is quite yummy.

Your pies look scrumptious...
Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 AM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

sarah!!! how the heck are ya? how's the little one? a little grown up lady by now, i'd bet.

taxy, your pies are truely scrumptious.

sprout, you thicken tomato paste? or did you mean 12 ozs sauce?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #95
Head Chef

OMG Bucky its so good to see ya after such a long time,all is well on my side,my little girl is now a 5 year old little lady and she has 2 bros... dont be too surprised,i dont believe in being patient and wait for things to happen,lol...
how r u and ur lovely family?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #96
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
sarah!!! how the heck are ya? how's the little one? a little grown up lady by now, i'd bet.

taxy, your pies are truely scrumptious.

sprout, you thicken tomato paste? or did you mean 12 ozs sauce?
Tomato paste. That's why it's important to use freshly cooked noodles. Otherwise you end up with globs. I've tried it. It only needs to thicken a little. Just long enough for it to darken and become sticky. The leftovers are interesting. They stick together like glue! A little moisture & gentle heating loosens then up, though.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #97
Assistant Cook

I actually have two.

First is simmered chicken over steamed rice with lightly steamed broccoli. Chicken is normally marinated and cooked in Italian dressing or dusted with a mix of Italian spices and cooked in EVOO. The chicken is cooked slowly, I stress slowly, on low heat to retain as much moisture as possible (and always is the juciest chicken ever). In some cases, to speed up cooking, it is diced beforehand.

Second is seared pork tenderloin over white rice, served with applesauce topped with cinnamon. The tenderloin gets put in the oven at 250* for about 2 hours, with a coating of either a dry spicy rub or having marinated in a lemon pepper mix. After cooking (partially) in the oven, it is allowed to cool and sliced, anglularly, into medallions, then seared over high heat in a pan coated with a thin layer of EVOO.

Been working on a new dish that's a bit more "involved" than these two... Just a bit busy with school to actually make it happen. So, for now. it's a matter of keep it simple.

Life is an incessant series of problems... all difficult, with brutally limited choices - and a time limit. -Chapel the Evergreen (Trigun)
Secundinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #98
Head Chef

It would have to be Chicken and Dumplings - great - now I'm hungry for that!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #99
Assistant Cook

My signature dish is Chocolate Flan. It's pretty much a regular flan, only with cocoa powder added to the base to add some color and a little bit of extra taste. Apparently my friends use it when describing me to other people, so i guess by that default it is my signature dish.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #100
Cook

I would say my shrimp creole, although I don't follow an exact recipe. People always love my soups and chicken taco's as well.