What is your "Signature Dish?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I did a search here and found a very old thread with the same title started in 2008. It made for some very interesting reading, I must say. I havn't seen many of those folks since I've been here, and there are a ton of new members who I hope will contribute to a new thread with the same question. Besides, some of the oldtimers here might have a new "Signature Dish" by this time!!

So how bout it?? What do you cook that puffs up that cooking ego, like nothing else? Recipe's or links, are encouraged, but not required.
;)

If you ask my brother he'd say my oven fried chicken. :chef: His opinion counts big time. Everyone else loves when I make kahlua pork in the oven with rice. Thats the number one requested dish from me.

My signature dish is a recipe called Pork Menudo... :) I mastered it for a few months of learning how to cook it...

I'm asked for my raviolli and gravy , I don't make to often any more mad cow brought the filling to a crashing halt, simply because we always use part of the cow that brought many a gag from those who didn't grow up eating ravioli. So that recipe is enfolded into an old cook book waiting for fear to subside. Another recipe is loved and safe and is asked for ovten. It's my fried chicken, which is fried of course on the top of the stove, then set on large cookie sheets that have been dotted with chunks of butter, springs of fresh rosemary, sprinkled with salt,garlic powder, as well as onion powder, and then we sprinkle dry white wine over the chicken,Then we finish it off in the oven. I have friends who ask for pasta gavy for lasagna, pasta, even rice. salads just simple things. I love to make focaccia, simple breads...But cakes or pies...Ask Laurie or Alix and you are sure to get the best.
kades

Probably my chocolate cake - I use cocoa for the batter and real chocolate for the topping (half dark, half milk). But by now I can't stand the sight of it! :sick: Hahaha!

Layered potato casserolle with black and green olives, jalapenos, cheese, S & P, garlic and EVOO. Also, oreo mudslide dessert that is absurdly easy to make.

Personally, I wouldn't call it my "signature dish", but the one thing that EVERYONE ALWAYS has to have the recipe for is a Mexican Pasta Salad I make.

I didn't even come up with the recipe. I found it on the internet and made some minor changes. :)

We always do birthday dinners where the birthday boy/girl gets to pick what they want for dinner. By far the most popular is my Chicken Divan. I always make a double batch just to make sure there's enough for everyone. Easy and quick but a real crowd pleaser.

It originally was my pancakes:
Mix together dry:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar or your favorite sweetener
2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
Add:
1 extra-large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
Stir until batter is formed but there are still small lumps. Add 3 tbs. batter for each pancake on a hot griddle. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form on top and begin to burst. Flip and cook for about two more minutes. Serve hot.

Then it was my egg rolls (spring rolls)
Stir fry in hot skillet, using peanut oil and one item at a time, 2 cans bamboo shoots, 2 cans water chestnuts, 1 coarsely chopped onion, 2 stalks sliced celery, 2 stalks sliced bok choy, 8 oz. chopped mushrooms. Combine all cooked ingredients into a large bowl. Season with 1/4 tsp. fresh ginger or 1/8 tsp. powdered ginger, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1 tbs. ground black pepper, two to three dashes Chinese 5-spice powder. Stir and taaste the mixture. Adjust as needed.

Bone 3 chicken breasts with the skin removed. Place the bones and skin into a pan and brown in the chicken fat over medium heat until everthin is deeply browned. Add 2 cups water and cover. Simmer over medium heat to make a great chicken stock. Cut the chicken meat into 1/4 inch cubes and stir-fry until they just begin to brown. Combine with the veggies. Add 3 cups bean sprouts to the wok with 1/4 cup water, cover and cook until the bean sprouts begin to turn translucent. Combine with the other veggies an chicken.

Use the stock as a base for sweet & sour sauce. The veggies and meat fill the egg-roll skins.

And then came the barbecued turkey. Take one twenty pound turkey. Remopve the giblets and rinse inside and out. Dry completely. Heat up a Webber, 22 inch charcoal kettle Barbecue, or whatever you favorite barbecue cooking device happens to be. Seperate the charcoal into two piles opposite each other with a 6 to 8 inch space between the piles. Make a drip pan out of heavy duty aluminum foil and place between the hot charcoal. Rub butter all over the bird and salt it inside and out. Truss the wings and drumsticks so they sit against the bird. place your favorite smoking wood on the charcoal. I like to use apple, cherry, or maple. Place the bird over the drip pan. Place a probe meat thermometer into the thickest breast portion (near the joint where the thigh joins with the body), taking care to not touch the bone. Cover and close all vents half way. Figure about 11 minutes per pound. Check the thermometer. Cook until the thermometer reads 152 degrees F. Remove and let rest for 20 minutes before carving. Cut the entire breasts off of the carcass and then slice against the grain. Place the meat artistically on a serving platter.

Smoked Spare Ribs:
1 rack of meat ribs. Mkae a dry rub of brown sugar, chili powder, ground thyme, ground black pepper, onion and garlic powder, and salt. Taste rub and check for ballance flavor. Adjust the seasonings until you like the flavor. Rub all over the ribs and place into a large plastic freezer bag. Place in the fridge for 24 hours. Preheat oven to 225' F. Place the ribs in heavy-duty foil and put into the oven. Bake for three hours. Fire up the grill. Put maple or mesquite wood on divided beds of hot charcoal so as to protect the meat from direct heat and to produce smoke. Place the ribs between the charcoal piles and cover. Close all vents half way. Cook for twenty minutes in the heavy smoke. Remove, cut and serve.

I won the white chili category of last years chili cookoff in Sault Ste. Marie MI. I can put up the recipe if anyone is interested. It makes about 3 gallons of chili.

And I won't even go into breads, pastries, pies, cakes, and other deserts.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My Beef Ettouffe' that I learned watching Justin Wilson many years ago. At least one of the items he used I can no longer find in the grocery store, so I've had to adapt.

Maybe because I just made it, but ribs marinaded in a kal bi type marinade, then grilled over coals. Maybe I'm just saying that because it is my favorite!

Even though I almost never make desert, I often get a request for "Claire's boozy trifle". Torn up pieces of angel food cake layered with frozen bags of berries (one layer each of different colors), blackberry brandy, a berry liquer of some kind, and whipped cream (and yes, I use the frozen fake stuff -- I have a lot of friends who are lactose intolerant and they can handle the frozen stuff). The frozen berries not only make it easy, the juices that come with the thawing soak into the cake and mingle with the booze. I assemble it the night before, then when it is party time I top with whipped topping and some fresh fruit and a sprig or two of mint if it is the season.

Maybe because I just made it, but ribs marinaded in a kal bi type marinade, then grilled over coals. Maybe I'm just saying that because it is my favorite!

Even though I almost never make desert, I often get a request for "Claire's boozy trifle". Torn up pieces of angel food cake layered with frozen bags of berries (one layer each of different colors), blackberry brandy, a berry liquer of some kind, and whipped cream (and yes, I use the frozen fake stuff -- I have a lot of friends who are lactose intolerant and they can handle the frozen stuff). The frozen berries not only make it easy, the juices that come with the thawing soak into the cake and mingle with the booze. I assemble it the night before, then when it is party time I top with whipped topping and some fresh fruit and a sprig or two of mint if it is the season.

I'm sure going to remember that one Claire!! I hardly ever make desert either but this sounds wonderful, and a use for my "hardly ever used" antique trifle bowl.

Thanks also to everyone who has shared on this thread too. :)
Goodweed......I for one, would love to have your recipe for your prize winning white chili !!

Back
Top Bottom