What Italian dishes would you like to learn how to cook??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gnocchi are a great idea, scaloppini, milanese anything (steak, chicken or risotto), risotto for sure, and Sunday sauce or bolognese are a must, arancini, almond cookies (so easy to make yet so tasty), and some fish dish like baccala a la vesuviana.

I see a theme here. Everyone is leading you away from pasta/cheese/tomato sauce.

We all (think) we know how to do that stuff. It's the 'other' stuff that folks would like to learn.

I see a theme here. Everyone is leading you away from pasta/cheese/tomato sauce.

We all (think) we know how to do that stuff. It's the 'other' stuff that folks would like to learn.

My thought was too many people think tomato sauce over pasta, pizza, or alfredo as being "italian". There are a lot of other options.

Arancini

Attachments

• arancini 021.jpg
    arancini 021.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 232
  • arancini 024.jpg
    arancini 024.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 185
i would go with a couple of classics, like how to make pasta from scratch, then how to use it in a simple but critical dish like carbonara.

if you really want to teach italian, you need to teach the concept of it first: few ingredients, fresh ingredients, simple execution.

then you can do a regional dessert. there's so many to choose from. bomboloni aren't a bad idea.

i would go with a couple of classics, like how to make pasta from scratch, then how to use it in a simple but critical dish like carbonara.

if you really want to teach italian, you need to teach the concept of it first: few ingredients, fresh ingredients, simple execution.

then you can do a regional dessert. there's so many to choose from. bomboloni aren't a bad idea.

the italians have simple desserts. that are simply, utterly, delicious....:)

Wow! Great discussion, everybody. I have been given a bit more info on the format. It is an informal evening which will consist of drinks and a demonstration, kind of like a cooking show, then have enough to serve for the whole group, which will be around 25. He only really wants me to do one a la carte main. So, that's good, actually. He mentioned pasta, something not so common that everybody makes at home on a regular basis. I am leaning towards Lunguine w/ Clam Sauce. The demonstration will be enough to serve 4, now I have to come up with a method to have sauce ready for twenty more so I can serve them all at the same time. This pan technique isn't really good for a larger group, so I may have to do some planning. Or possibly, change the menu item. I have three weeks.

Wow! Great discussion, everybody. I have been given a bit more info on the format. It is an informal evening which will consist of drinks and a demonstration, kind of like a cooking show, then have enough to serve for the whole group, which will be around 25. He only really wants me to do one a la carte main. So, that's good, actually. He mentioned pasta, something not so common that everybody makes at home on a regular basis. I am leaning towards Lunguine w/ Clam Sauce. The demonstration will be enough to serve 4, now I have to come up with a method to have sauce ready for twenty more so I can serve them all at the same time. This pan technique isn't really good for a larger group, so I may have to do some planning. Or possibly, change the menu item. I have three weeks.

Just something to think about. Some people have a shellfish allergy. I do.

Just something to think about. Some people have a shellfish allergy. I do.
Yes. We have talked about that. I was thinkiing of two dishes but, then things get a bit more complicated. I would rather do something else, but one of his regular customers used to eat at my former place and loved my Linguine clam sauce so he mentioned that. I can do it with my eyes closed so it would be easy for me, but you are right. And that may necessitate another dish entirely. Hmmmm, maybe some kind of combo platter???

Have a sage butter sauce for ready for those with a shellfish allergy and a printed out recipe for them. Your demo will be good for technique and the folks with allergies will still get a taste for the night.

fine suggestion. only 3-4 % of people have a true food allergy of any kind. that would be one out of your 25 people. and their allergy might be for strawberries, cheese or peanut butter, not seafood...god, i feel awful for those folks.... :)

Italian: Margi Cintrano

Of course, being 50% Italian, and considering I am a pretty good behind the stoves in Italian Regional, it would have to be something I find a bit difficult to create at home ... A wood burning pizza for example.

On the sweet tooth side of things, traditional Sicilian Cannoli pastry shell and filling.

Your agenda sounds very fascinating.

Best of luck. M.C.

I second the tiramisu, but would heartily endorse gelato for dessert. You could start your demo with making the slurry and pop it in the freezer for later.

I think buckytom had the best suggestion so far. Fresh ingredients, few ingredients and fast. You can make pasta anything...but honestly, things like carbonara are not done well here and they are SOOOOO amazing when done right.

IMO, you could start the cooking class backward. Making dessert first (freezing it), then making the pasta dish (perhaps something that needs to be done in the oven?), then put together a classic antipasto tray. Serve the antipasto, and while folks are nibbling that, pull out the entrée, and finally the dessert.

Have fun Rocklobster, it sounds like a great night. Think you could have someone taking pics to post later?

i just wish i was going to the class.

that way i could chuck stuff at rock to see if he could waffle board it away, or make a kick save, then resume cooking... :D

On the sweet tooth side of things, traditional Sicilian Cannoli pastry shell and filling.

If you are doing dessert as well then I second this idea

For main Braciole would be nice except I'm not sure about time.

Last edited:
hmm... pasta is not that typical main dish... it's more Primi Piatti... secondi piatti, the main dish, is more meaty, scallopini or osso bucco or something like that..

i just wish i was going to the class.

that way i could chuck stuff at rock to see if he could waffle board it away, or make a kick save, then resume cooking... :D
Sure, we should work that into the act. I could use all of the help I can get.

After talking with the owner, I have decided to go with three different dishes. Serving them in smaller individual portions. He is going to feature a few different wines from some wine rep, and have anti pasti and bread out on the tables. Then we are going to start with a pasta. I will do the Linguine w/Clam Sauce. Then after that I will do up a veal piccatta and serve it along side an Eggplant Parmesan, which will already be made and ready to go. He doesn't want to do dessert because he wants to bring some in and sell them dessert for an additional price.
The kitchen line is small so he can only fit a few people back there, so I will have to explain my procedures and techniques to them as they are being served and eating the dish. I also have to have a bit of an introduction speech. He had 27 people for each of the first two and they all booked for my night. He has had a few phone calls and may have to do two Italian nights. I'll keep you posted.
And, thanks again for all of your ideas and comments...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom