What kind of cooking is the North known for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about chicken N biscuits?
It seems I remember some of our southern members not understanding the term used for shredded chicken and gravy served on biscuits. That might be a northern dish.

Whatever, y'all can keep 'em. I was in Atlanta on business and ordered a nice steak, and it came with a side of grits. The waiter said every meal in the South is served with grits. Go figure...

You were misinformed --- Popular at breakfast? --Yes --- Popular in the dish "Shrimp and Grits" ( N&S Carolina) Yes --- Every meal? --- Not hardly!!

Hmmm...it seems to me Lytle missed a few important things in the prairie provinces. We westerners will forgive him as it seems eastern folks don't pay much attention to us out here. ;)

Winnipeg is justifiably famous for its Rye Bread. Manitoba also has pickerel and smoked goldeye which is such a treat that the Minnesota symphony used to come to town and clean out all the goldeye in Winnipeg.

From Manitoba to Alberta all things Ukrainian and Russian in origin are famous. The kubasa and perohe are incredible and I could wax poetic about it all.

I believe there was some mention of Alberta beef...we all know my feelings about that so I'll just shut up now. LOL.

Theres a ton more, but really when you talk about Northern food you have to look at the ethnic settlements in those areas to give you a clue about what the food will look like.

Jessica, I know you likely meant Northern US, but I couldn't let it go by.

Goodweed, thank goodness you mentioned the maple syrup. Did you also mention the cheddar cheese? I believe Ontario is famous for it.

My first thoughts regarding "Northern" food was Minnesota, which I am most familiar with. It's a melting pot of fabulous food and I couldn't even begin to mention any "one" thing it would be known for. It's ALL good.

Guess it depends on your definition of "northern."

I recently placed a post on this topic where I poked a bit of fun at my Northern neighbors. It was brought to my attention that my comments could be insulting and ill received by some. It was not my intent to be condescending, but rather, humorous. I apologize to any who were offended by those comments. I have many great friends in Sault Ste. Marie, ONT, fishing buddies, fellow church members, cooking buddies, etc. We poke fun at each other all the time, and expect to receive the same. That is all I was doing.

I value the friendships I have here in D.C. and will try not to be insulting to anyone. Again, I apologize for my behavior to my "North of the Border" friends on D.C.

On the lighter side, Alix, the cheddar cheese from Balderson Ontario is some of the finest cheddar I have ever had. The company brand for this incredible cheese is Balderson Heritage Cheddar. It has won numerous awards. Cheese in general is a wonderful thing in Northern Ontario. And the brook trout are legendary.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I can think of a few that I don't think were already mentioned.

Vermont cheddar
Red flannel hash
Maple baked beans
Cranberries
Roasted chestnuts
Fiddlehead ferns
Partridge
Venison
Indian Pudding
Corn chowder

Weed, are you sure you're not part bear?

I have broad shoulder and short legs. And one time, my oldest daughter witnessed me running across a large field to rescue one of her siblings who had fallen out of a tree. She stated that I kind of looked like a bear running across a field. And yes, like a bear, I'm an omnivore, and a scavenger of good foods from the forest. But I smell better and have a kinder disposition.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Okay, speaking from the "Great WET North", better known as the Canadian West Coast, I would agree with Lytle that some of the classier restaurants do tend to serve game meats and they are popular more in the interior, but here on the coast the taste is very eclectic and I would say on the lighter/fresher side

Salmon, of course is very popular
all forms of shellfish (I know Uncle Bob, a real waste on me - and yes, they do usually come from the East Coast)
Actually you can say seafood in general
Salads of all kinds and sizes (entree or side)
Chicken, served broiled, roasted, grilled

Comfort food would include
chowders, chili, stew
pasta with just about any kind of sauce
fresh breads - plain or slathered with garlic and or melted cheese

Yes, Alix, when mentioning Canada, you can't forget the cheese and maple syrup, but how about
Tourtiere
Poutine
Butter Tarts
fries and gravy
and one I grew up on in the winter, hot chocolate with a small scoop of ice cream!
oh, almost forgot....the Saskatoon berry Delish!

DH just mentioned another classic - Nanaimo Bars!

My wife pesters me for these gems (Nanaimo Bars) every time we go over the border. We even have a recipe for them. I have to admit, they are pretty tasty.:)

We have our world famous Mackinaw Island Fudge up here in the U.P. too.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

OMG! Can't believe I forgot poutine and tourtiere!!! And SHHHHHH! about the askatoonsa erryba iepa! We don't want folks to know too much about those! (My husband is addicted by the way)

Fries and gravy are a northern invention? Folks don't do that in the south? Really?

Sorry about the slip up on the unmentionables, Alix.

As for Fries and gravy, I was told when I was there that it was irrefutably started in the town of Trail BC. Not that I am sure I believe it, but they sure do! And that is where I first had it (I was 14 I think).

Well isn't THAT interesting! I knew poutine was ours but the plain old fries and gravy? Go figure!

You know, now I'm jonesing for some Nanaimo bars. Crap. There are enough sweets in this house right now without me adding anything but I'm getting the baking itch.

Y'know, if you don't have graham crumbs to make the base for the nanaimo bars crushed up minty girl guide cookies rock pretty hard in there. LOL.

I have had ketchup on fries, and I have heard of vinegar on them, but it wasn't until the last couple years that I ever even heard of gravy on fries! At first all I could think of was, "YUCK!" But now I think I could try it. :cool:

:)Barbara

Any Phish fan has heard of a bar called Nectars up in Burlington, VT. It is where Pish got started. They are known for their fries and gravy. DW and I shared an order and did not need to eat for two days after. I was in heaven.

Y'know, if you don't have graham crumbs to make the base for the nanaimo bars crushed up minty girl guide cookies rock pretty hard in there. LOL.

Alix, once I was out of graham crumbs and coconut and decided to try a brownie type base for my Nanaimo bars. It was so good I often do it that way.

Brownie base huh? I will have to give that a go.

GB and Barbara, its such a routine staple around here that it never occurred to me that it wasn't more widespread. Cool. GB, you ever tried poutine? Now THAT will stick to your ribs (and artery walls) and fill you up for a while.

Oh it has been a staple of mine for as long as I can remember Alix. Of course I think that gravy is one of the food groups. When I was in college the closest town that had more than just a gas station was a half hour away. I would often drive the hour round trip just to get a pint of gravy from KFC and a loaf of bread and just eat till it was gone.

Now poutine is something I have not yet tried. I only just learned about it a few years ago. As far as things I want to try, poutine is at the top of my list.

Back
Top Bottom