"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacarr View Post
I hear tons about 'southern cooking', because I am a southerner, but what about northern cooking? Southern cooking is known for many things. To name a few: frying, baking and pies. But I don't hear anything about northern cooking. What kind of cooking is the North known for?
Anything that is not served with Sweet Tea.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I'd probably be able to answer this even better once I do my Canadian Cuisine and International Cuisine theory classes next year in school but I'll try help ya know the Canadian regions a little better right now.

Maritimes: Known for all fish and seafood really. Atlantic salmon comes from all maritime provinces pretty much but mostly New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Scallops as well, though a town called Digby is especially popular, even menus on the west coast will say specifically 'Digby Scallops'. Lobster can be found on the docks for pretty cheap in most towns anywhere on the shoreline. Mussels come from all over as well but Prince Edward Island is most known for them (PEI mussels even got a mention in an episode of The Sopranos). PEI is obviously also known for their potatoes. Halibut is another atlantic province thing. Pretty much all fish and shellfish you would find most places in Canada can be found in the maritimes.

Ontario doesn't have much but we got freshwater bass which isn't found much outside of Ontario. A few other freshwater fish as well but the bass is the most culinary profound fish out of the province. Peameal bacon is also a complete Ontario creation, don't think it's very popular outside of Ontario.

The prairies got their wheat fields that's about it. TONS of semolina flour is grown in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Semolina is also grown in some parts of Ontario.

The west coast is all about the game meats. Caribou, elk, buffalo, venison, moose, all the mountain living animals. They're found in a lot of restaurants out there. Beef as well, "AAA Alberta Beef" is often seen on menus throughout Canada. Pretty much all red meat is good out west. Pacific salmon is also popular, coming off the BC coast around the Vancouver Islands.

As you can see Canada doesn't really go by specific recipies or styles of doing something like your "NY style" or whatever, but are more known for the food found in the region. These foods are usually extremely popular among locals, especially those maritimers and their fish and seafood.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytle View Post

... Ontario doesn't have much but we got freshwater bass which isn't found much outside of Ontario. A few other freshwater fish as well but the bass is the most culinary profound fish out of the province. Peameal bacon is also a complete Ontario creation, don't think it's very popular outside of Ontario...
Are you kidding me? Ontario is the home of St. Joseph Island Corn and Maple Syrup. Ontario is a great place for Pickerel (Walley South of the border), Perch, Northern Pike, and best of all, Phenomenal fishery for Atlantic, Coho, Pink, and King Salmon, as well as Rainbow and lake Trout, and best of all, Eastern Speckled Trout (brook trout). Moose is just one of a host of popular game animals which include snowshoe rabbit, White Tail Deer, Ruffed Grouse, Canadian Geese (and several other species of geese), several species of duck, wookcock, and most fruit trees that can be grown in the Upper Peninsula of michigan. The blueberries, huckleberries, raspberries, thimbleberries, choke cherries, and others are as plentiful and good as they get, even as good (gasp! I can't believe I'm saying this!) Upper Peninsula Michigan blueberries.

But the point of all of this chatter is that Ontario is rich with natural foods, everything from wild wintergreen to moose, not to mention the wild nuts and seeds available.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #14
Master Chef

Weed, are you sure you're not part bear?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Good one, Constance!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #16
Master Chef

when I think of northern cuisine I think clam chowders first. then Pennsylvania Dutch type foods (based on German cuisine using American ingredients). I also think pot roasts.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #17
Head Chef

The North is a melting pot of foods from all over the world. Up here you can expect to find anything and everything...except grits! Y'all started makin' 'em, and y'all can keep 'em.

Now, time to prepare my Hungarian Hurka sausage with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
Executive Chef

" except grits! Y'all started makin' 'em, and y'all can keep 'em."

Yup! Someone can have my share too.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
" except grits! Y'all started makin' 'em, and y'all can keep 'em."

Yup! Someone can have my share too.
Humm ... is that hominy grits or corn grits?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Humm ... is that hominy grits or corn grits?
Whatever, y'all can keep 'em. I was in Atlanta on business and ordered a nice steak, and it came with a side of grits. The waiter said every meal in the South is served with grits. Go figure...