"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #41
Certified Cake Maniac

GB. you will love it. However REAL poutine, made with Quebec cheese curd, is often hard to find as they don't sell the curds much outside of the province; however, some of the replacement cheeses aren't bad and give you the idea (and the cholesterol).

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #42
Everymom

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....poutine! GB, it really is better with cheese curds, but if you are trying it at home then pizza cheese makes an acceptable substitute. LOL.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #43
Certified Cake Maniac

Alix did you ever try Burger King's attempt at Poutine. I use the term attempt pretty loosely!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #44
Everymom

They don't even make it around here anymore! LOL, we're poutine snobs I guess.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #45
Certified Cake Maniac

Yeah, they don't serve it in the BK's here either. When I want poutine I WANT CHEESE CURDS!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #46
Chief Eating Officer

i do not think I have every tried cheese curds, but from the second I first learned of poutine I have been dying to try them.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

I didn't need an apology, I just didnt like the obvious sarcasm just because I didnt think of or left out some things out cause I didnt wanna type for 10 minutes on 1 reply. Thanks LPBrier for being the first person to mention my name and just add to what I said, not point out the things I missed and make comments about me, thats how its done. Im not Joe Cooklipedia or trying to be, Ive been learning to cook for 2 years and before that my reply to foods Canada is known for wouldve been Tim Hortons and Kraft Dinner (which by the way, Canadians consume more of every day than any other country in the world- put that in your Canadian Cooklipedia). I even said I would be able to answer it better next year after my classes on it. Nobody elses posts got any replies like mine did or even mention of things people left out so when I did get that reply even tho I said straight up I wasnt giving a full answer for it I guess I reacted wrong and my reply I got deleted, whatever. I just dont like being singled out.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #48
Everymom

Lytle, no one was trying to smack you down. GW was trying to be friendly and funny. Its difficult to read between the lines if you don't know someone's "style" here. Try to relax, this place is laid back and mellow and whatever you say is not being analyzed or assessed for worthiness. (Sounds like you must be a GREAT student to be so conscientious) We're all here to have some fun and we love cooking. Welcome. Slide right in and be cool. If you think someone is being snotty or mean try either asking what they meant or hit the report post button. There's usually a mod online who would be more than happy to mediate if needed. Hang loose my friend and lets go get some Timmys. Cheers!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytle View Post
I didn't need an apology, I just didnt like the obvious sarcasm just because I didnt think of or left out some things out cause I didnt wanna type for 10 minutes on 1 reply. Thanks LPBrier for being the first person to mention my name and just add to what I said, not point out the things I missed and make comments about me, thats how its done. Im not Joe Cooklipedia or trying to be, Ive been learning to cook for 2 years and before that my reply to foods Canada is known for wouldve been Tim Hortons and Kraft Dinner (which by the way, Canadians consume more of every day than any other country in the world- put that in your Canadian Cooklipedia). I even said I would be able to answer it better next year after my classes on it. Nobody elses posts got any replies like mine did or even mention of things people left out so when I did get that reply even tho I said straight up I wasnt giving a full answer for it I guess I reacted wrong and my reply I got deleted, whatever. I just dont like being singled out.
Lytle; my apology was given because I didn't intend to step on anyone's toes. I wasn't even aware whose toes I stepped on. I just thought I'd offended someone, which truly wasn't my intent. I have a good number of freinds in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and we poke friendly jabs at each other all the time, expecting to get poked back. I was really just playing. I truly respect my Northern neighbors. The mispronunciations I mentioned are real, but are just as much a part of the people on my side of the river as on the Ontario side. And to be sure, I do have trouble pronouncing some of the French terms I here from my friends. My apology was/is genuine and I hope you accept it, and that we can become friends here. I love sharing what I know, and learning new things from others. I've been cooking, and leaning about cooking for better than 30 years now. It's a great hobby. Almost as mych fun as catching fifteen lb. salmon on 6 lb. test line.

So, happy to see you here.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

I didnt post that to keep this going, but to explain why I reacted badly. I was just posting my first thoughts and it seemed like I was being singled out for no reason instead of just my comment being added to, so I replied badly. Felt like it again when my post was deleted and not the initial, thats why I asked why he could post stuff like that and I couldnt reply in the PMs. Like you say, I dont know how you guys act, and you guys dont know me either. I like to explain myself, dont take it wrong. I got a taste of that when I posted my reply when I got like 5 people replying to my one sentence comment in the mise en place thread about 15 people working on a cooking show. I replied to explain why I said that one sentence before and it seemed like that person took offence to my reply. I just stopped posting in that thread and it got even more heated! So Ive seen both sides of being taken wrong and taking things wrong already.