What kind of cooking is the North known for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wisconsin is famous for them.
Get the beer battered (not breaded) ones for the best flavor,
but the breaded ones are pretty good too.

I'm not sure what the North is, but Wisconsin is in the Upper Midwest,
and is also famous for:

Cheese
Beer
Brats
Corn
Friday fish frys, especially haddock and walleye.

RobsanX is correct, the beer battered cheese fries are "the best". Besides the cheese, beer, brats, corn and fish fries, we're also known for Beer Cheese Soup, and for me personally, being a Wisconsinite, I enjoy cooking hot dishes, casseroles, soups, stews, chili's, and chowders.
Also, hot pork sandwiches, pulled pork sandwiches, barbecues, coleslaws & potato salads too.
I also like to cook and bake with rhubarb. I make a variety of desserts and jams with rhubarb.
My fave rhubarb jams are made with a variety of canned pie fillings and boxed gelatins.

One thing I did want to point out, that while many Wisconsinites fish frys are made with haddock and walleye's.
I mainly use pollock fillets when deep frying fish.

Fries with gravy aka. Cheese Fries with Gravy. A regular side dish at many diners. Steak cut french fries topped with gooey American cheese and a dollop of chicken gravy.

Wisconsinites! I assumed North as in New England, where my parents were born. I have friends who spend part of the year here (I live w/i spitting distance of WI) and they just discovered brats (I lived in Germany as a child, so fit right in here). Brats and kraut! Yay! Also German potato salad. But you'll have to forgive me, I also like accordion music, and will polka!

Oooooooooh! Me too! I could eat mushrooms all day long. In fact, I love adding mushrooms to my gravy sometimes!

:)Barbara
P.S. Sorry to go off topic, but to bring it back, if I lived in the north I would definitely eat mushrooms and gravy! LOL

When I was in Seattle, visiting my first and new granddaughter, I had the opportunity to explore the Pike Street Market with my youngest daughter (who I married off last spring). We entered this shop that sold gourmet wines, vinegars, salts and such high-end fair. We purchased fresh seafood, cool veggies that I can't get around my neck of the woods, and mushrooms. However, the highlight of the exploration was at that shop with the fourmet stuff. They had us lick the back of our hands and placed a light sprinkle of truffle-infused salt on the wet skin. We licked it off and it was amazing. The wonderful flavor stayed with us for a good ten to fifteen minutes. It was the best finishing salt I have ever tasted. If you ever get the chance to purchase some, and you like shrooms, then do it. You won't be disappointed.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh Jeeks you got the Pork Roll but what about the SCRAPPLE?

We got desserts too

(Italian) Water Ice. NY Cheesecake! Funnel Cake

oh and the good Jewish Deli food not really northern per se but I dare say we have the best of it

Knishes... BAGELS... Corned Beef, Pastrami

Sandwiches in general are very nuanced... There is a difference between a Hoagie, A Grinder and a Wedge

and you mentioned pizza I will add the CALZONE & Stromboli

Fries with gravy aka. Cheese Fries with Gravy. A regular side dish at many diners. Steak cut french fries topped with gooey American cheese and a dollop of chicken gravy.

That MUST be the American version of our Poutine, which is made with cheese curds as mentioned earlier. I love Poutine, but when I say fries and gravy, that's exactly what it is. A mess of fries covered in a pool of wonderful gravy....comfort on a plate (not to mention the cholesterol).

Can someone tell me the difference between American cheese and chedder please? Just call me a dumb Canuck! :huh::LOL:

Of Course, There is This!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• thanksgiving-dinner-05Nov2007121649579750.jpg
    thanksgiving-dinner-05Nov2007121649579750.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 259
Wisconsinites! Brats and kraut! Yay! Also German potato salad.
But you'll have to forgive me, I also like accordion music, and will polka!

Claire, I love brats & kraut; especially simmered together on low heat
in a skillet for about an hour. I also love to eat kraut with either kielbasa
or smoked sausage. Also, this Wisconsinite sure can polka too.
By the way Claire, here's 2 really good kraut and sausage recipes
I'd like to share....

Kielbasa & Kraut

1 (16 oz.) pkg. Polska Kielbasa (or) Smoked Sausage
1 qt. (32 oz.) or (2 lbs.) bagged Sauerkraut

Cut meat up; cover with sauerkraut (including juices) in crockpot.
Cover, cook on high for 2-3 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Note: Since there is plenty of sauerkraut in this recipe,
I would add 2 lbs. of kielbasa or smoked sausage.

Smoked Sausage and Sauerkraut

2 onions, sliced very thin
1-1/2 tablespoons margarine
2 lbs. cold pack sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1 cup apple juice
1 cup water
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste (I omitted this)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 lbs. smoked sausage, cut into 3-inch pieces

In a large pot, (over medium heat) heat the margarine.

Add onions, and saute until they are tender.

Add sauerkraut, apple juice, water, caraway seed, salt, pepper,
and brown sugar; mixing all ingredients thoroughly.

Bring pot mixture to a boil; then reduce heat, (cover) and simmer
for 30 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Add smoked sausage pieces to pot, and cook for 30-45 minutes more;
simmering, and stirring occasionally, until sauerkraut is tender.

Serves 4-6.

Note: The 1st time I prepared this recipe, I followed the instructions exactly.
The 2nd time I made it, I cooked the onions in 2 Tbsp. of butter,
'cause I used rather large sized onions. I didn't rinse or drain the sauerkraut,
'cause our family loves that salty, sour taste sauerkraut has.
The juice from the 2 lb. package of sauerkraut equaled exactly 1-1/2 cups,
so I also added 1-1/2 cups of the apple juice, as well as,
2 Tbsp. of brown sugar; to help give it that sweet'n sour kind of taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom