What kind of cooking is the North known for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
I hear tons about 'southern cooking', because I am a southerner, but what about northern cooking? Southern cooking is known for many things. To name a few: frying, baking and pies. But I don't hear anything about northern cooking. What kind of cooking is the North known for?

IN answer to your question here are but a few of the amazing variety of foods we make up here on the Canada border:
Soups, Stew, Chowders

Meat & Potatoes

Pasta dishes

pasties (Yooper creation)

pizza pasties (another Yooper creation)

Cheese and other dairy products (Northern and Midwestern Cheeses are the best you can get)

All kinds of fresh water fish recipes from pan fried perch to smoked salmon, and blue trout, trout almondine, beer-battered whitefish/perch/bullheads/bass, etc.

New England Boiled Dinner
Fabulous thanksgiving spread to include roasted or barbecued turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (made in any number of creative ways), rutabeggas, green beans, cranberry sauce, bread or rice dressing/stuffing, pumpkin pie, apple pie, cheesecake, turkey gravy, seabreeze salad, freshly baked bread. AFter Thanksgiving is over, there are a host of recipes to be created from the leftovers.

Our own style of chili which contains ground beef, lots of chili powder, Cummin, Coriander, tomatoes, tomato sauce, celery, kidney beans, red &/or pinto beans, sliced onion, and sometimes rice (depending on the cook)

Wild game such as ruffed grouse, woodcock, snowshoe rabbit, cottontail rabbit, venison (white tail deer), bear, elk, beaver, a host of fresh water fish.

Cudighi Sandwiches

Giant hamburgers (going from 1/2 lb to 3/4 lb. patties, topped with lots of American cheese and all the things you can put on a burger, with a matching bun)

A unique cold-cut submarine sandwich that people visit our little town for

Baked Beans made with maple syrup

Maple Syrup

Goodweed's Pancakes & Waffles

Hearty breads

Fruit pies

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. We have many dishes based on Native American traditions, as well as a melting pot of dishes originating from mostly Northern Europe. The fare is usually hearty, warm you body & sould kind of food. We also love our cherries, apples, raspberreis, wild mushrooms (many different kinds around here) and blueberries, and all things made from them.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, ty for your response. The chili sounds good. I am sure y'all have some good chili varieties, being that the North is so cold.

Chicago style pizza, as apposed to NY style pizza.
Hot dogs originated in Coney Island
Soft pretzels
New England Clam Chowder
Manhattan Clam Chowder
Boston Baked Beans

I guess I would say Boston baked beans, boiled NE lobster, steamers, chowda, pot roast, fried Ipswich clams, Wellfleet Oysters.

Wild rice, cranberries, walnuts - and things made with them; some quickbreads, Boston brown bread, Philly Cheese Steak, bagels.

I hear tons about 'southern cooking', because I am a southerner, but what about northern cooking? Southern cooking is known for many things. To name a few: frying, baking and pies. But I don't hear anything about northern cooking. What kind of cooking is the North known for?

Anything that is not served with Sweet Tea. :LOL:

I'd probably be able to answer this even better once I do my Canadian Cuisine and International Cuisine theory classes next year in school but I'll try help ya know the Canadian regions a little better right now.

Maritimes: Known for all fish and seafood really. Atlantic salmon comes from all maritime provinces pretty much but mostly New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Scallops as well, though a town called Digby is especially popular, even menus on the west coast will say specifically 'Digby Scallops'. Lobster can be found on the docks for pretty cheap in most towns anywhere on the shoreline. Mussels come from all over as well but Prince Edward Island is most known for them (PEI mussels even got a mention in an episode of The Sopranos). PEI is obviously also known for their potatoes. Halibut is another atlantic province thing. Pretty much all fish and shellfish you would find most places in Canada can be found in the maritimes.

Ontario doesn't have much but we got freshwater bass which isn't found much outside of Ontario. A few other freshwater fish as well but the bass is the most culinary profound fish out of the province. Peameal bacon is also a complete Ontario creation, don't think it's very popular outside of Ontario.

The prairies got their wheat fields that's about it. TONS of semolina flour is grown in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Semolina is also grown in some parts of Ontario.

The west coast is all about the game meats. Caribou, elk, buffalo, venison, moose, all the mountain living animals. They're found in a lot of restaurants out there. Beef as well, "AAA Alberta Beef" is often seen on menus throughout Canada. Pretty much all red meat is good out west. Pacific salmon is also popular, coming off the BC coast around the Vancouver Islands.

As you can see Canada doesn't really go by specific recipies or styles of doing something like your "NY style" or whatever, but are more known for the food found in the region. These foods are usually extremely popular among locals, especially those maritimers and their fish and seafood.

... Ontario doesn't have much but we got freshwater bass which isn't found much outside of Ontario. A few other freshwater fish as well but the bass is the most culinary profound fish out of the province. Peameal bacon is also a complete Ontario creation, don't think it's very popular outside of Ontario...

Are you kidding me? Ontario is the home of St. Joseph Island Corn and Maple Syrup. Ontario is a great place for Pickerel (Walley South of the border), Perch, Northern Pike, and best of all, Phenomenal fishery for Atlantic, Coho, Pink, and King Salmon, as well as Rainbow and lake Trout, and best of all, Eastern Speckled Trout (brook trout). Moose is just one of a host of popular game animals which include snowshoe rabbit, White Tail Deer, Ruffed Grouse, Canadian Geese (and several other species of geese), several species of duck, wookcock, and most fruit trees that can be grown in the Upper Peninsula of michigan. The blueberries, huckleberries, raspberries, thimbleberries, choke cherries, and others are as plentiful and good as they get, even as good (gasp! I can't believe I'm saying this!) Upper Peninsula Michigan blueberries.

But the point of all of this chatter is that Ontario is rich with natural foods, everything from wild wintergreen to moose, not to mention the wild nuts and seeds available.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
when I think of northern cuisine I think clam chowders first. then Pennsylvania Dutch type foods (based on German cuisine using American ingredients). I also think pot roasts.

The North is a melting pot of foods from all over the world. Up here you can expect to find anything and everything...except grits! Y'all started makin' 'em, and y'all can keep 'em.

Now, time to prepare my Hungarian Hurka sausage with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.

Humm ... is that hominy grits or corn grits?

Whatever, y'all can keep 'em. I was in Atlanta on business and ordered a nice steak, and it came with a side of grits. The waiter said every meal in the South is served with grits. Go figure...

Back
Top Bottom