"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Take a look at this list. If you want mild, I wouldn't go much beyond jalapenos for heat level. You can get the fruitiness of the pepper taste without all the heat. Fresh peppers are not in season here, so yes to dried or powdered, plus you can more easily control how much you add to your recipe.

You may even have to order some online if looking for a particular pepper.

Using fresh peppers can be dicey. I have had mild jalapeno's and then there is one in the group that is decidedly hot !

Have fun experimenting too.

Chili Peppers - a list of chili peppers and their heat levels

Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thank you, GotGarlic! It probably is time for me to experiment with chili powder again. I did originally, but then the chili tasted too much like my own recipe that I've been making for years. What I'm trying to come up with tastes nothing like my original recipe, but a small dose of chili powder wouldn't hurt, and it might be enough to stain the grease.

Thanks, Whiskadoodle! I'm positive they use powdered peppers (or maybe liquid). When you look at their chili, you see pinto beans, a few bits of ground beef, and very rarely, a piece of diced onion. It's all swimming in a transparent orange broth that has brown flecks (cumin?) and red flecks (some kind of pepper). That's what you see. No other diced veggies. And this is a greasy spoon kind of place. I'm pretty sure they use cheap ingredients and don't use any gourmet techniques. Powders are easy, and I bet that's what they use.

Thanks again.
Steven.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I would suggest chili powder rather than chili peppers. The powder is easier to work with and the flavor is more consistent. It's not hot and it is the primary flavor I associate with chili.
True.
And unless I'm mistaken, it's main ingredient is paprika. I can't speak for the tumeric though.
Chili powder and a little grease from your burger will give you your little pools of red rising to the top.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

pacanis is right about meat and chili powder being the basics.

Chili powder is a blend of ground chilies, oregano, cumin, garlic. You can use chili powder or use powdered chilies, oregano, cumin and garlic separately to achieve to flavor you want.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The fat in my chili is in red specks after refrigerating, if I didn't completely drain the burger first after browning. I use chili powder.

Can you call the restaurant and ask how they make theirs?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #16
Executive Chef

My chili has both diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and the fat is red. I also get reddish fat on my vegetable soup which I think is from the diced tomatoes and tomato juice.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
Master Chef

Wendy's chili very orange and watery and not very hot.

https://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Wen...li-Recipe.html
Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Wow, thanks, pacanis, Andy, Dawgluver, and CarolPa!

Now I'm very excited about my next batch. I think I'll add a little chili powder to the meat. If that doesn't turn my grease red, I might add some tomato juice in the following batch. I like the idea of tomato juice versus tomato sauce since it should be less opaque and therefore more like what I'm trying to achieve. At the same time, I might leave out the paprika and decrease the tumeric, and if I lose that orange color, I'll put the tumeric back in.

Dawgluver, I would love to ask the restaurant how they make their chili, but it's a big secret. It would be akin to asking Coca-Cola for the Coke recipe, only instead of just being told no, I'd probably be laughed out of the establishment, or maybe yelled at. Either way, it wouldn't be pretty. Besides, after 22 attempts, I'm still really enjoying this! Sometimes I think I'll never match their taste, but it's a great challenge.

Steven.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #19
Executive Chef

NewAtThis, I think you need to make a friend on the "inside." LOL When my DIL worked at a local restaurant she told me that the pies they advertise as homemade come in frozen and they bake them. To me, that's not home made.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Jennyema, Wendy's is another distinct-tasting chili that I love! It has a totally different taste from what I'm trying to get, but still, that "Wendy's" recipe might give me some good ingredient ideas. Like I said earlier, I believe a chili's appearance can give a clue as to its ingredients, and if Wendy's looks anything at all like my target chili, then they might share some ingredients.

Thanks!
Steven.