"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 12-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Executive Chef
I like turkey enough that I was always happy to have it both Thanksgiving Day and Christmas too, plus bought a couple more on sale and cooked them some months later. When purchased on sale turkey is one of the least expensive meats, and when not stuffed is one of the easiest to roast. I've often said that cooking an unstuffed turkey is no more difficult than cooking a TV dinner. (Just wash it off, put it on a rack, insert in properly preheated oven, and your remote reading thermometer tells you when it's done.) On a few occasions I've even cooked a turkey for myself alone, ate the leg and thigh and used the rest for the usual turkey leftovers.

The usual choices are turkey, ham, beef roast (usually PR), lamb roast, pork roast, roast duck or roast goose. I'd go for the prime rib roast if I had enough guests to justify it. I have no guests this Christmas so I'm cooking a couple turkey thighs and a yam. At least it's something traditional. These two days a year (Thanksgiving, Xmas) I always want something traditional.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Executive Chef
My DH is Canadian and all my Canadian rellies (and DH, the first time it happened) are/were aghast when they found out there is no bird for Christmas, they always have/had Turkey. Lol! If they come to my home for Christmas, I serve them turkey and ham.

If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Not me. For Easter I make brandied rabbit in mustard sauce and invite all the neighborhood children for dinner on my patio!
I was only speaking of my own household... but I have to say I absolutely love rabbit in mustard sauce!
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I also can't speak for all Canadians, but we have always had a turkey on Christmas. We also have tourtiere and ham, but the centre is a turkey with all the trimmings!

Only one Christmas did we not have a turkey and I had just had major surgery and was ordered to complete bed rest until Christmas day. DH picked up a ham and was going to do dinner.....until he threw his back out in the morning hauling two 5 gallon pots of stew out to be taken to the homeless. So my sister came over and did everything. It was a very quiet but nice Christmas.
Yes. We have Tourtiere every year also. But as a French Canadian, I guess that goes without saying..My mother usually sends us all home with a frozen one also.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I like venison at Christmas.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I'm not in charge of Christmas dinner. If I were it would be goose or standing rib of beef. Still I'm cooking a turkey between now and new years just for sandwiches!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
Executive Chef
I like to have goose once per year on Christmas. Fresh goose can be expensive and it takes us about a year to use up the fat from one 12 - 14 pound goose.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Yes. We have Tourtiere every year also. But as a French Canadian, I guess that goes without saying..My mother usually sends us all home with a frozen one also.
Funny, I am NOT French Canadian (though I am Canadian and fluent in French) but I can't remember a Christmas without it. Oh, and I gave out five frozen ones this year!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
Head Chef
In USA it goes something like this: Xmas Ham , Xmas Goose , Thanksgiving Turkey , But through the years Prime Rib has been hight on the list for xmax as well as fish ,which has been popular with Cathlics.
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #20
Master Chef
When I was a kid we always had roast beast for Christmas.

My thought is that the beef, pork, venison for Christmas dinner may have been due to the climate of the northeast. A bird could be killed and used up for one meal but you needed prolonged cold to preserve a larger animal. Anyway it was good and we ate it!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote

christmas, dinner, turkey