What organic foods do you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I am not, by any means, and organic food fanatic. But, there are some that make a lot of sense to me, and are worth the extra money.

First comes milk. I bought some organic milk for the first time, mainly because the use-by date was over a month out. That's WAY more than the regular milk products. Then, I drank some, and it was an epiphany. "Wow, this stuff is good."

I also find organic eggs to taste better, and keep longer in the fridge.

Another thing I like is Kroger's Simple Truth BS chicken breasts. They are good, and they are individually vacuum sealed, so they freeze very well.

I don't generally buy organic produce, but I probably would buy some if I found something that truly tasted better. A lot of organic produce just doesn't seem to taste any better than the regular stuff.

Please share with us organic products you have found that are worth the extra money.

CD

None, except by accident. Organic foods are not healthier or more nutritious. They are just more expensive because they have good marketing behind them. Taste is subjective and can be influenced by perception of quality, even though there is no evidence of a difference.

Last edited:
None, really. I try to buy most of my produce and eggs from the small local farm stand. I've been buying from the same farmer for 25 years, and trust that everything is fresh and grown with as few pesticides as possible.

I've never tasted organic milk and go through so much anyway that a long expiration date doesn't matter, at least to my grandson and I. Holy cow, that kid drinks a lot of milk after school. :LOL:

I don't bother. Sometimes DH does, but only if they're the same price as their nonorganic compadres.

None, except by accident. Organic foods are not healthier or more nutritious. They are just more expensive because they have good marketing behind them. Taste is subjective and can be influenced by perception of quality, even though there is no evidence of a difference.

The "evidence" for me was pretty clear when I drank organic milk for the first time. It just flat-out tasted better. Marketing had nothing to do with it.

Like I said, I find some organic foods don't taste any better, while others do. I have an open mind.

CD

The "evidence" for me was pretty clear when I drank organic milk for the first time. It just flat-out tasted better. Marketing had nothing to do with it.

Like I said, I find some organic foods don't taste any better, while others do. I have an open mind.

CD

Like I said - taste is subjective. You would be surprised at what influences subjective perceptions. It's subconscious. That's why there's such a thing as the placebo effect.

Last edited:
FYI

PS FYI
Don't be mistaken. Organic farmers often 'supplement' with vitamins and minerals...

they just don't use "pesticides" per se

I don't make a point of buying organic, but some of the stuff I buy happens to be organic. I'll get tubs of fresh arugula or baby spinach because of the convenience when it's on sale, and the two brands available are both organic. So I buy them. But not because they're "organic". The same with any other product - if we like the flavor and the price is right, I'll buy it organic or not. Speaking of price, both Aldi and Trader Joe's seem to have prices that meet or beat most stores in many of their offerings, and most of their stuff is organic. Again, I buy there for the price, not the organic factor. Let's face it, I'm basically cheap frugal.

The "evidence" for me was pretty clear when I drank organic milk for the first time. It just flat-out tasted better....
"Organic" isn't what made it taste better. What the cows eat influences the taste of the milk. Now it may be that those cows that produced that milk get some tasty vittles, but that can happen in non-organic milk, too.

Once upon a time, we bought milk directly from a farm stand that sold their own milk from their own cows. That was some fine tasting milk, but it was not certified organic. The milk was so rich and flavorful I would drink skim and treat Himself to 2%, so we had 2 half-gallon glass bottles in the fridge. Our son came to visit; when he would get some milk he just took from the bottle with more in it. The first time he grabbed the skim he poured it, put the bottle back in the fridge, and took a slug of the milk...and immediately opened the door and pulled the bottle out. "This is really skim?" he asked. He was amazed that it didn't taste like the chalk water from the grocery store.

Sadly, that dairy no longer processes their own raw milk, but sends it out to be blended with milk from another dairy or two. Doesn't taste the same, so I just pick milk up at the grocery store.

Most farmers in Sweden are technically organic according to Eu rules, but it cost too much for the farmers to get the certificate. I buy Swedish and hope that will help.

When it comes to eggs, I buy free range, organic and free range differ so little in Sweden that I only buy organic eggs for Easter ( since we eat them).

Casey, if by "organic" you mean raw milk, then I'll agree with you about taste. When we bought some to make cheese, about 1/3 of the container was cream.

From what I understand, "Organic" is a very loosely applied label, with a vast grey area as to what qualifies.:ohmy: To my knowledge we have never intentionally purchased "organic" products. We rarely go to Whole Paycheck unless we want something the regular groceries don't carry, such as blood oranges.

Casey, if by "organic" you mean raw milk, then I'll agree with you about taste. When we bought some to make cheese, about 1/3 of the container was cream.

From what I understand, "Organic" is a very loosely applied label, with a vast grey area as to what qualifies.:ohmy: To my knowledge we have never intentionally purchased "organic" products. We rarely go to Whole Paycheck unless we want something the regular groceries don't carry, such as blood oranges.
Actually, "organic" is strictly defined: https://www.ams.usda.gov/publications/content/about-national-organic-program

It's more of a marketing term than anything else.

You may be thinking of "natural," which has no legal definition or standards.

Well, not buying organic, I don't check out all the products, but on occasion when I have looked at a label... if it says produced without pesticides then they better not be lying!

Thanks GG for proving my point Per Se.

Organic farmers around here work very hard to get their certification. I believe the common number is somewhere around 5 to 7 years to clean their farms.

Well, not buying organic, I don't check out all the products, but on occasion when I have looked at a label... if it says produced without pesticides then they better not be lying!

Thanks GG for proving my point Per Se.

Organic farmers around here work very hard to get their certification. I believe the common number is somewhere around 5 to 7 years to clean their farms.
I don't know what the rules are in Canada; I'm talking about in the United States.

I don't understand what you mean by "per se" in this context. Farmers either use pesticides or they don't.

Back
Top Bottom