What other dishes can I make with my leftover Miso?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i have some miso i cooked into a soup. what other dishes is miso for?
thanks!:)

Recipe courtesy of Roy Yamaguchi. If you cannot find butterfish, substitute black cod. This also goes well with pork tenderloin or chops, but you would want to bake those in the oven as opposed to sauteeing them because of the cooking time.

Misoyaki Butterfish

Ingredients:

1 cup Sake
1 cup Mirin
1/2 lb Sugar
1/2 lb Miso

Method:

Combine marinade ingredients in small saucepan and simmer until it becomes a dark, caramel color. After marinade has cooled, submerse fish completely and refrigerate for 24 hours. Take the marinated fish and place it into a sauté pan on medium heat with a small amount of oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.

You can use this as a salad dressing, or as a sauce with seafood, chicken, or pork.

Sesame-Miso Vinaigrette

Yield: Approx. 2 cups

Ingredients:

1/3 c. White Miso Paste
1/3 c. Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Yuzu or Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp. Dark Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp. Ginger, minced
1/4 c. White Granulated Sugar
2 tsp. Sesame Oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. Smooth Peanut Butter
2 tsp. White Sesame seeds, lightly toasted
2 tsp. Black Sesame seeds, lightly toasted
3/4 c. Canola Oil
Kosher Salt to taste

Method:

Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine first eight ingredients in the vinaigrette. Slowly add in the canola oil until the dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with the kosher salt. Stir in the sesame seeds and reserve. This can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for at least 1 week.

Miso-Ginger-Lime Butter Sauce

Yield: Approx. 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:

3 Shallots, minced
2 Tbsp. Ginger, finely chopped
3/4 c. Dry White Wine
2-3 Tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp. White Miso Paste
1 c. Heavy Cream
1 c. Unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1" cubes
Kosher Salt to taste

Method:

In a medium saucepan, combine the shallots, ginger, lime juice, and white wine. Bring to a boil, then simmer and reduce until au sec, or approximately 2 Tbsp. of liquid remains. Add the cream and gently reduce by half. Whisk in the miso and soy sauce and transfer to a blender. Blend the sauce (use the lowest setting) while slowly adding the butter, a few cubes at a time until it is all incorporated. Season to taste with salt and keep warm.

Last edited:
Spicy Miso-Peanut-Lime Vinaigrette

Yield: Approx 3 cups

Ingredients:

1/2 c. Unsalted, preferrably organic, creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 c. Miso Paste
Juice of 2 limes + the zest
1/4 c. Rice Wine Vinegar
1/2 c. Mirin or Simple Syrup
2 Thai or Serrano Chilis, seeds removed
1 Tbsp. Fresh Ginger, minced
2 tsp. Fresh Garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. Dark Soy Sauce
3-4 Tbsp. Cold Water
2 tsp. Fish Sauce
1/2 c. Chinese Peanut Oil
2 Tbsp. Fresh Mint, chopped
1 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. Unsalted Roasted Peanuts, chopped
Kosher Salt to taste

Method:

In a blender or food processor, combine the first eleven ingredients and pulse until incorporated. Slowly drizzle in the peanut oil, and blend until emulsified. Add the mint and cilantro, and pulse for a few seconds until the herbs are incorporated. Season to taste with salt, and stir in the roasted peanuts. Thin with more cold water if needed. Refrigerate until service

If you like Miso (I LOVE it - all the different types), do yourself a favor & pick yourself up a nice Japanese cookbook or two. You'll find enough great recipes using Miso to keep you busy for months & months & months - lol!!

Back
Top Bottom