What sauce to make for buffalo chicken ravioli?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebLynn

Senior Cook
My local Italian deli sells homemade buffalo chicken ravioli. I bought some to make this weekend, but what kind of sauce would work best? I'd like something different than marinara, which I'm not really good at making (although I have a jar of Rao's arrabiata if I need it).
Thanks!

Good idea, Joy.

I make a simple but effective bleu cheese sauce by adding bleu cheese to ranch dressing.

I was going to suggest a Frank's hot sauce based sauce for the ravs until I read Joy's idea. So I suggest you combine the two ideas and make a blue cheese/hot sauce topping for the ravs.

Thanks for these. I'm not sure how spicy they are 'cause we haven't tried them yet, but the ingredients dint list blue cheese, they told me they make them with shredded chicken and buffalo sauce. I like the idea of a simple cream sauce. My husband would like the blue cheese mixed in, can you eat blue cheese sauce hot? Does the cheese melt when you cook it? I only ever had it cold in dressing. Or should I sprinkle it on top?

I like the idea of breeding and frying them too I can serve them with a salad if we have leftovers.

Would I cook them before I bread and deep fry them or just defrost them and then egg and bread them?

Thanks!

Imo, I would just make the sauce blue cheese, then if I didn't find the ravioli spicy enough, you could add some hot sauce in. They could be really hot to begin with and the extra heat might make them inedible. :sick:

I have had blue cheese hot before crumbled over a steak, they were pretty large pieces, but they did melt down quite a bit. I would be sure to cut up some celery to serve with the ravioli and blue cheese sauce just to make it authentic and tasty.

I'm not sure about blue cheese dressing, but the blue cheese sauce I listed should be served hot. Yes, the cheese will melt in, but you'll still taste it. If you're thinking about appearance you can always add extra as a garnish, or reserve some from the recipe and sprinkle it on after instead of melting it all in.

Read this thread on Friday and had to make it on Saturday. I had a family pack of thighs from Sam's in the freezer. I thawed them, rubbed with my favorite spices and put them on the grill. While I was doing that, my wife was making pasta dough. Once the chicken cooled, we shredded it, and then mixed it in with some butter, Frank's and ranch dressing for the filling. (I also use this same mix for Buffalo Chicken Pizza) Once that all came together, I ran the pasta thru the machine and my wife filled and sealed the ravioli. (We're getting a ravioli form shortly) We put them in the freezer until we were ready to start cooking dinner. I got out my 14" SS saute pan and started the gorganzola cream sauce. I don't have the recipe committed to memory, but it was butter, milk, gorganzola, heavy cream, salt and I added Frank's to keep with the dish's theme. Just kept the heat at medium and kept whisking until all the gorganzola melted and the sauce thickened. Once it was done and the ravioli were done, we tossed the ravioli in the pan and let them cook for another few minutes. Put on some fresh shredded parmigian cheese and served. They were fantastic. Thanks to the OP for putting this up, the entire family agreed it was a keeper. :chef:

70chevelle, Wow I'm impressed you did the ravioli from scratch! Thanks for the process on making the sauce too. When DH returns from his trip later this week, I'll make these for him. He's the buffalo afficionado in the house.

Read this thread on Friday and had to make it on Saturday. I had a family pack of thighs from Sam's in the freezer. I thawed them, rubbed with my favorite spices and put them on the grill. While I was doing that, my wife was making pasta dough. Once the chicken cooled, we shredded it, and then mixed it in with some butter, Frank's and ranch dressing for the filling. (I also use this same mix for Buffalo Chicken Pizza) Once that all came together, I ran the pasta thru the machine and my wife filled and sealed the ravioli. (We're getting a ravioli form shortly) We put them in the freezer until we were ready to start cooking dinner. I got out my 14" SS saute pan and started the gorganzola cream sauce. I don't have the recipe committed to memory, but it was butter, milk, gorganzola, heavy cream, salt and I added Frank's to keep with the dish's theme. Just kept the heat at medium and kept whisking until all the gorganzola melted and the sauce thickened. Once it was done and the ravioli were done, we tossed the ravioli in the pan and let them cook for another few minutes. Put on some fresh shredded parmigian cheese and served. They were fantastic. Thanks to the OP for putting this up, the entire family agreed it was a keeper. :chef:

Copied and pasted!!!!! Yum!

Back
Top Bottom