"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Menu's are also helpful for trying to adjust to new eating habits. When my husband was diagnosed with diabetes we used a pretty strict menu at first with a lot of research to adjust to his new diet restrictions. As we got used to them we were able to ease up and be more spontaneous with what we ate. We'll probably go back to that format for a while after I'm done with school to help get us back into healthier eating habits.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Cook

I used to go to the store, buy a bunch of stuff that looked good, and then make meals from that. We shopped biweekly/monthly. We wouldn't eat at home as much as we thought and ended up throwing away a lot of food that didn't get eaten. Now, I have to get dinner on the table as quickly, cheaply, and as healthy as possible, so we do a weekly menu and buy the ingredients needed for those foods. I try to base my meals off what we have in the pantry, what I'm craving, and try to have them share ingredients if possible to save money.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I wouldn't say I make a menu either, just plan what meats etc. and I make sure my pantry is welled stocked. I think if you've been doing it long enough it becomes second nature :) For beginners it's good idea to plan a rough menu just to get you started
That's a good point. It probably became second nature to me without realizing it.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
Master Chef

I'm a weekly planner. It's just the two of us, but planning weekly enables me to spend my food dollars wisely & eat very very well. I can roast or poach a whole chicken & get 2-3 meals out of it. Same goes for a roast duck - which, while the original purchase price may seem high - after 3 meals from that same duck, the per meal price ends up coming to around $4-$5 (where are you going to get a duck dinner for $4-$5??). When lobster is on sale, I buy more than enough & save the extra meat to go into Lobster Rolls, Lobster Bisque, seafood stirfries, seafood pasta sauce. Planning ahead re: leftovers for pricey ingredients - or even inexpensive ones - enables you to eat extremely well - especially if you're just cooking for one or two.

Really - planning your menus ahead of time will be your best friend both dining wise & money wise.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's a good point. It probably became second nature to me without realizing it.
That's just the thing..lol! It's the same with when people ask you for a recipe and you can't give them exact quantities, just a dash of this a sprinkle of that..lol! Like brushing teeth, we no longer have to think about it :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
That's just the thing..lol! It's the same with when people ask you for a recipe and you can't give them exact quantities, just a dash of this a sprinkle of that..lol! Like brushing teeth, we no longer have to think about it :)
Dash of this, sprinkle of that, three shakes plus one tap, about that much (as I demonstrate the length of poring time), two glugs worth... That's actually how I started and I'm having to learn to measure things for other people's benefit. Same with menu planning. It was brand new to me and suggested by the hubby's nutritionist. I do have to say though, I'd be lost without a grocery list. Half the time I can't remember what we need by the time I make it to the computer from the kitchen and have to travel back and forth over and over again. There's no way I could make it to the store without forgetting everything.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I'm a weekly planner. It's just the two of us, but planning weekly enables me to spend my food dollars wisely & eat very very well. I can roast or poach a whole chicken & get 2-3 meals out of it. Same goes for a roast duck - which, while the original purchase price may seem high - after 3 meals from that same duck, the per meal price ends up coming to around $4-$5 (where are you going to get a duck dinner for $4-$5??). When lobster is on sale, I buy more than enough & save the extra meat to go into Lobster Rolls, Lobster Bisque, seafood stirfries, seafood pasta sauce. Planning ahead re: leftovers for pricey ingredients - or even inexpensive ones - enables you to eat extremely well - especially if you're just cooking for one or two.

Really - planning your menus ahead of time will be your best friend both dining wise & money wise.
I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand...What exactly is extra lobster? I've never heard of that.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Dash of this, sprinkle of that, three shakes plus one tap, about that much (as I demonstrate the length of poring time), two glugs worth... That's actually how I started and I'm having to learn to measure things for other people's benefit. Same with menu planning. It was brand new to me and suggested by the hubby's nutritionist. I do have to say though, I'd be lost without a grocery list. Half the time I can't remember what we need by the time I make it to the computer from the kitchen and have to travel back and forth over and over again. There's no way I could make it to the store without forgetting everything.
I write recipes down now since people keep asking me for them!
I make my list each month but once I'm in the grocery store I seem to follow the same route and load most of what I need in without even knowing how I did it. I usually just add a few special things that change from time to time. Guess I'm a creature of habbit or programmed to function without thinking :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote