"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-31-2007, 05:30 AM   #11
Master Chef
Back when I had a coffee grinder (and drank coffee) the coffee tasted pretty weird after a spice session (OK if it was cinnamon or clove, not so good after some kinds of pepper or other spices). The fact is that I don't drink coffee too much any more, so I probably won't buy whole beans any time soon. So any coffee grinder will be just for grinding spices.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
Sous Chef
I have three coffee grinders. 1 for coffee, 1 for spices and seasonings, 1 for hot peppers as I grow them, dry 'em then grind 'em for seasoning blends.

PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
Senior Cook
I have a coffee grinder that I use for spices and flaxseed. I clean mine using a piece of old bread, just break it up and then crank it up it will remove every thing.

Run_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Miss Clair...

Who says you can't use it for coffee once you use it for spices. . . .
Of course you can!
But grinding coffee beans is the second thing I do every morning and since I'm only half awake it needs to be as quick and easy as possible. I think my burr grinder does a better job on coffee beans than the type of grinder I assume we are all referring to and it is preset for the quantity and coarseness that I want. Pour in the beans, push a button, and the coffee is ground before a filter can be separated from the pile and put into the machine. I don't think grinding the beans adds five seconds to making the coffee.

Alix summed up the prevailing attitude in a coffee roasting thread a year ago.
Originally Posted by Alix
At 6AM I don't care whether its Folgers, Starbucks or home roasted...all I care about is getting into me. Intravenously if necessary. And trust me...everyone else in my house is as interested in that as I am!
If more people ground their own beans, a few of those might decide to try roasting them as well, a topic dear to my heart.

Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote