"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I don't think it's the fact that your mixing or combining stocks, I think it's the other flavoring agents that you and your wife are using or NOT using is what's off, and not giving the two of you the desired flavors that you are seeking.

If you can post the recipes and proportions that you use, it would be more helpful.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #12
Master Chef

I make a "pure" chicken stock, but also make what I call a "junk" stock, which is a bag that sits in the freezer, and any other kinds of bones, veggies and anything else goes into it. It winds up being a never-the-same soup, but always delish. Please don't come to my house to eat!! For my husband's French onion soup, I have the pure chicken stock (about 1/4 by volume) and actually pay the big bucks to make pure beef stock (to make beef stock it costs as much as a great steak in a good restaurant). But I still maintain that if you don't like the way your spouse does anything, it is time to pony up to the bar. If you've got a better way, then do it, don't ***** about how someone else does it.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:16 PM   #13
Sous Chef

You know, if I wanted marital advice I would have gone to the DiscussMarriage.com site.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #14
Certified Executive Chef

I use chicken stock exclusively for chicken (duh), pork and beef, and it works wonderfully well. I have made ham stock for when I want to make split pea soup or ham and lima beans. I have used beef stock, only with beef, as it does not seem to be as interchangeable with meats. I have not made or used a fish stock, so when I make fish I have used chicken stock, but usually water and/or white vermouth work very well.

As far as what to saute in, depends on the cooks tastes. I feel that when it comes to the 'home chef' there is no right or wrong, only doing what the household members and the chef prefer for their personal tastes.