"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-06-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
Sous Chef

What stock goes with what food...?

Well my wife did it again! SHe's making veal Marsala and she starts off by braising the veal in....Bacon Grease!

What the heck?? It's like I have this conversation with her every week but know that I think about maybe I am not sure how to explain it, or maybe I am a little confused.

When you use stock (chicken stock, pork stock, etc.) with another food what rules do you follow?

Now chicken stock w/ beef stock or any beef is just utter garbage, I know that one.

But I have seen them use like veal stock in clam chowder was it? So I guess you can use certain meat stocks with fish.

Bacon or ham w/ fish I have no problem.

Can you mix chicken stock w/ pork? My wife did this the other day too and I think it messed the dish up.

Helpful suggestions? Is the rule more like avoid strong tastes mixing with strong taste e..g beef and bacon? Or is the rule more like you can mix weak taste with strong foods, e.g. chicken stock w/ beef.

I know there is some rule to this...

Old 02-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
Master Chef

You've got a couple of problems here ....

The traditional way to saute the veal for Veal Marsala would be in either butter (preferably califfied to increase it's smoke point) or a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil. Since veal has a delicate flavor, yeah, bacon drippin's probably would be a little intense. But, in her defense, I'm sure some "chef" on TV once sauted a little pancheta in some olive oil and said, "If you can't find panchetta you can use bacon."

I think the general "rule" for which stock to use with what would probably be - use a stock from the same critter you're cooking. Beef for beef, chicken for chicken, etc. are fairly obvious. For veal, if you don't have veal stock, you could substitute 1/2 beef and 1/2 chicken stock - comes out close, or 1/3 beef, 1/3 chicken, 1/3 vegetable.

For seafood - best to stick with a "seafood" stock. These are so quick and easy compared with anything else. For fish stock, heads and bones - for lobster or shrimp the shells - crab really needs shells and meat. Just put them in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes. A substitute would be bottled clam juice.

For pork stock - it depends on the flavor you're after - fat back, salt pork (blanched first to get rid of some of the salt), ham hocks, or a ham bone.

Of course - you can "thin out" the intensity of any stock by adding water, or vegetable broth.

I'm not a big fan of using bullion cubes in place of stock/broth because of the salt - but Knorr makes some pretty good ones - especially good for a quick fish broth.

Bacon isn't a stock - it's a fat. It depends on how you use it, and the flavor you want to achive, as to whether it is the appropriate fat to use or not. I can think of LOTS of recipes that use bacon ... with beef, chicken, and shellfish.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:25 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Yes I know bacon isnt a stock but the entire subject of mixing meats w/ different meats, etc. brought up the subject. THe issue of mixing bacon flavor with veal brought up the issue of stock w/ meats chicken etc.

Well I guess thats obvious.

ANyhow, the rest of the post is helpful...But they will use chicken stock with lots of things won they?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:00 AM   #4
Master Chef

Well, a simple rule of thumb is that if you don't approve of the way your spouse does something, they you should be doing it yourself. Period. End of story.

I happen to love using bacon grease as an oil, and yes, it does change the way things taste. I probably wouldn't have thought of using it to cook veal, but I'll bet I'd love it, sometimes. I do use it to pop corn (well, perhaps some would say you should only use vegetable oil), and in my masa harina. You either like the taste or don't, it isn't a question of "right" and "wrong".

When I got married, I sat down with my future husband and we came to the agreement that whoever is doing the work is doing it correctly.

Amazing that my husband "lost" his opinion on laundry, scrubbing floors, dusting ..... All things he thought there was a "Right Way" to do until he realized that if he wanted to do it "Right" he'd have to do it himself!!!

Don't want bacon fat in your veal ... cook it !!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:41 AM   #5
Head Chef

Michael gave you some good information. I usually don't use bacon fat for frying or sauteeing, but I love it when I fry eggs. I add a Knorr's cube of whatever flavor I am using to my stock, It seems to round out the flavor somehow.
:)
Old 02-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
Sous Chef

The bacon/Veal really wasnt the problem it was just a little different. It was the other day when she was doing the pork tenderloin and she mixed chicken stock w/ a pork stock. The taste was decidely off.

Hey Claire; of course I told her it was good, but I just want to know for the future whether there is some rule about this or not.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
French Onion soup traditionally calls for beef stock - I like to use a combination beef and chicken - it is a much smoother flavor and doesn't mess up anything at all.

I agree with the Veal Marsala cooked in a combination of ghee and olive oil - that's how I do the Chicken Lombardi (posted here). Clam chowder with veal stock? It might be interesting - but I normally don't have veal stock around. Now you've got me curious!!!! dangit - I'm gonna have to try that!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Sous Chef

It was either manhattan clam chowder or some sort of fish soup, I forget.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #9

Re: What stock goes with what food...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland
Now chicken stock w/ beef stock or any beef is just utter garbage, I know that one.

Can you mix chicken stock w/ pork? My wife did this the other day too and I think it messed the dish up.

Helpful suggestions? Is the rule more like avoid strong tastes mixing with strong taste e..g beef and bacon? Or is the rule more like you can mix weak taste with strong foods, e.g. chicken stock w/ beef.

I know there is some rule to this...
I don't think there is any "rule".

I habitually mix chicken stock in my beef stew, in which I sauteed the beef in bacon grease! My beef stew is said to be the best one my family and friends have ever eaten.

If you know what you are doing, then you can create wonderful dishes by not following rules
Old 02-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I am impressed you were able to mix chicken/beef stock. I tried that once and the result tasted like cardboard if it had any taste at all.