What stock goes with what food...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
Well my wife did it again! SHe's making veal Marsala and she starts off by braising the veal in....Bacon Grease!

What the heck?? It's like I have this conversation with her every week but know that I think about maybe I am not sure how to explain it, or maybe I am a little confused.

When you use stock (chicken stock, pork stock, etc.) with another food what rules do you follow?

Now chicken stock w/ beef stock or any beef is just utter garbage, I know that one.

But I have seen them use like veal stock in clam chowder was it? So I guess you can use certain meat stocks with fish.

Bacon or ham w/ fish I have no problem.

Can you mix chicken stock w/ pork? My wife did this the other day too and I think it messed the dish up.

Helpful suggestions? Is the rule more like avoid strong tastes mixing with strong taste e..g beef and bacon? Or is the rule more like you can mix weak taste with strong foods, e.g. chicken stock w/ beef.

I know there is some rule to this...

You've got a couple of problems here .... :shock:

The traditional way to saute the veal for Veal Marsala would be in either butter (preferably califfied to increase it's smoke point) or a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil. Since veal has a delicate flavor, yeah, bacon drippin's probably would be a little intense. But, in her defense, I'm sure some "chef" on TV once sauted a little pancheta in some olive oil and said, "If you can't find panchetta you can use bacon."

I think the general "rule" for which stock to use with what would probably be - use a stock from the same critter you're cooking. Beef for beef, chicken for chicken, etc. are fairly obvious. For veal, if you don't have veal stock, you could substitute 1/2 beef and 1/2 chicken stock - comes out close, or 1/3 beef, 1/3 chicken, 1/3 vegetable.

For seafood - best to stick with a "seafood" stock. These are so quick and easy compared with anything else. For fish stock, heads and bones - for lobster or shrimp the shells - crab really needs shells and meat. Just put them in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes. A substitute would be bottled clam juice.

For pork stock - it depends on the flavor you're after - fat back, salt pork (blanched first to get rid of some of the salt), ham hocks, or a ham bone.

Of course - you can "thin out" the intensity of any stock by adding water, or vegetable broth.

I'm not a big fan of using bullion cubes in place of stock/broth because of the salt - but Knorr makes some pretty good ones - especially good for a quick fish broth.

Bacon isn't a stock - it's a fat. It depends on how you use it, and the flavor you want to achive, as to whether it is the appropriate fat to use or not. I can think of LOTS of recipes that use bacon ... with beef, chicken, and shellfish.

Yes I know bacon isnt a stock but the entire subject of mixing meats w/ different meats, etc. brought up the subject. THe issue of mixing bacon flavor with veal brought up the issue of stock w/ meats chicken etc.

Well I guess thats obvious.

ANyhow, the rest of the post is helpful...But they will use chicken stock with lots of things won they?

Well, a simple rule of thumb is that if you don't approve of the way your spouse does something, they you should be doing it yourself. Period. End of story.

I happen to love using bacon grease as an oil, and yes, it does change the way things taste. I probably wouldn't have thought of using it to cook veal, but I'll bet I'd love it, sometimes. I do use it to pop corn (well, perhaps some would say you should only use vegetable oil), and in my masa harina. You either like the taste or don't, it isn't a question of "right" and "wrong".

When I got married, I sat down with my future husband and we came to the agreement that whoever is doing the work is doing it correctly.

Amazing that my husband "lost" his opinion on laundry, scrubbing floors, dusting ..... All things he thought there was a "Right Way" to do until he realized that if he wanted to do it "Right" he'd have to do it himself!!!

Don't want bacon fat in your veal ... cook it !!!!!

Michael gave you some good information. I usually don't use bacon fat for frying or sauteeing, but I love it when I fry eggs. I add a Knorr's cube of whatever flavor I am using to my stock, It seems to round out the flavor somehow.
:)

The bacon/Veal really wasnt the problem it was just a little different. It was the other day when she was doing the pork tenderloin and she mixed chicken stock w/ a pork stock. The taste was decidely off.

Hey Claire; of course I told her it was good, but I just want to know for the future whether there is some rule about this or not.

French Onion soup traditionally calls for beef stock - I like to use a combination beef and chicken - it is a much smoother flavor and doesn't mess up anything at all.

I agree with the Veal Marsala cooked in a combination of ghee and olive oil - that's how I do the Chicken Lombardi (posted here). Clam chowder with veal stock? It might be interesting - but I normally don't have veal stock around. Now you've got me curious!!!! dangit - I'm gonna have to try that!!!!

jpinmaryland said:
Now chicken stock w/ beef stock or any beef is just utter garbage, I know that one.

Can you mix chicken stock w/ pork? My wife did this the other day too and I think it messed the dish up.

Helpful suggestions? Is the rule more like avoid strong tastes mixing with strong taste e..g beef and bacon? Or is the rule more like you can mix weak taste with strong foods, e.g. chicken stock w/ beef.

I know there is some rule to this...

I don't think there is any "rule".

I habitually mix chicken stock in my beef stew, in which I sauteed the beef in bacon grease! My beef stew is said to be the best one my family and friends have ever eaten.

If you know what you are doing, then you can create wonderful dishes by not following rules

I am impressed you were able to mix chicken/beef stock. I tried that once and the result tasted like cardboard if it had any taste at all.

I don't think it's the fact that your mixing or combining stocks, I think it's the other flavoring agents that you and your wife are using or NOT using is what's off, and not giving the two of you the desired flavors that you are seeking.

If you can post the recipes and proportions that you use, it would be more helpful.

I make a "pure" chicken stock, but also make what I call a "junk" stock, which is a bag that sits in the freezer, and any other kinds of bones, veggies and anything else goes into it. It winds up being a never-the-same soup, but always delish. Please don't come to my house to eat!! For my husband's French onion soup, I have the pure chicken stock (about 1/4 by volume) and actually pay the big bucks to make pure beef stock (to make beef stock it costs as much as a great steak in a good restaurant). But I still maintain that if you don't like the way your spouse does anything, it is time to pony up to the bar. If you've got a better way, then do it, don't ***** about how someone else does it.

I use chicken stock exclusively for chicken (duh), pork and beef, and it works wonderfully well. I have made ham stock for when I want to make split pea soup or ham and lima beans. I have used beef stock, only with beef, as it does not seem to be as interchangeable with meats. I have not made or used a fish stock, so when I make fish I have used chicken stock, but usually water and/or white vermouth work very well.

As far as what to saute in, depends on the cooks tastes. I feel that when it comes to the 'home chef' there is no right or wrong, only doing what the household members and the chef prefer for their personal tastes.

Back
Top Bottom