"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I know what ingredients I like to use, but don't know what style it is or what cookbook I could get for more recipes.

Here's what I like to use:

Roasted Red Peppers, Artichokes, Olives, Onions, Asparagus, Zuchini & Squash, Tomatoes, Thyme/Rosemary, pretty much all cheeses & meats.

I make a bowtie pasta dish with red peppers, chokes, olives and chicken in a parm cream sauce. And I braise chicken thighs in a tomato base sauce with kalamatta olives, onions and garlic served over rice or linguini.

I can't seem to expand on these flavors. Any ideas?
Can I have dinner at your house? Sounds like dinner at my Italian friend's house when I was a kid in NY.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bulander View Post
Jeekinz,

Check out "The Splendid Table" and "Italian Country Cooking" both by Lynn Rosetto Kasper.

She also has a radio show on public radiol Recipe Box: The Splendid Table
OMG...I'm making the rosemary steaks with eggplant relish.

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
Master Chef

Mediterranean cuisine/diet includes the food from all of the countries that border the Mediterranean Sea ... that includes the islands in the Mediterranean, as well as the southern coast of Europe, the western coast of the Middle-East, and the northern coast of Africa. All of these areas share some things in common (a warm dry climate and diets high in olive oil, fruits, vegetables and fish/seafood, chicken, lamb and goat for red meat) - and yet subtle to vast regional and cultural differences using the same ingredients with a few changes (starches, herbs/spices, pork and beef in Southern Europe).

Wikipedia actually has a good discussion on this (saves having to reinvent the wheel) Cuisine of the Mediterranean that allows you to examine and compare/contrast the cuisines of the region.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I was going to say Mediterranean too. These ingredients feature heavily in a lot of Perth's meals that aren't Asian based. You have the makings of a great antipasto platter there.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

based on what you mentioned the first thing that comes to mind is italian cooking. in my own opinion i think you are inclined to that.