What style is my cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I know what ingredients I like to use, but don't know what style it is or what cookbook I could get for more recipes.

Here's what I like to use:

Roasted Red Peppers, Artichokes, Olives, Onions, Asparagus, Zuchini & Squash, Tomatoes, Thyme/Rosemary, pretty much all cheeses & meats.

I make a bowtie pasta dish with red peppers, chokes, olives and chicken in a parm cream sauce. And I braise chicken thighs in a tomato base sauce with kalamatta olives, onions and garlic served over rice or linguini.

I can't seem to expand on these flavors. Any ideas?

A lot of those ingredients fall into Greek cooking. That would be a good place to start.

I know what ingredients I like to use, but don't know what style it is or what cookbook I could get for more recipes.

Roasted Red Peppers, Artichokes, Olives, Onions, Asparagus, Zuchini & Squash, Tomatoes, Thyme/Rosemary, pretty much all cheeses & meats.

I make a bowtie pasta dish with red peppers, chokes, olives and chicken in a parm cream sauce. And I braise chicken thighs in a tomato base sauce with kalamatta olives, onions and garlic served over rice or linguini.

I'd call it the Mediterranean diet, which is not just Italian. This would include Greek (their classic flavor combination is lemon, garlic and oregano); Turkish, Lebanese, etc., would be other options.

Sounds like Italian to me...focussing on quality of ingredients rather than quantity.

I'd say more generally Mediterranean. Those ingrediants are used with immense versitilyaround the med, and using them well gives you a lot of scope to venture into lots of geographically similar cuisines. So, as well as exploring Greek and Italian food, I'd flick through some cook books o other med countries.

How about also looking for cook books focusing on those ingrediants....there are many books focus around a single ingrediant: knowing you love the ingrediant might help you explore other uses for it.

I am a style-less cook too ;)

I'd call it the Mediterranean diet, which is not just Italian. This would include Greek (their classic flavor combination is lemon, garlic and oregano); Turkish, Lebanese, etc., would be other options.

D'uh, cross posted with you...great minds and all that....;)

The Mediterranean sounds good, I'll check some of those recipes out.

I can cook, I think ?Southern Italian?, mainly red sauce dishes all day. I have about 50 variations on tomato sauce - lol.

The Mediterranean sounds good, I'll check some of those recipes out.

I went on a trip to Turkey in 2001; the tour guide in Istanbul told us that because the Ottoman Empire controlled much of the territory around the Med (except Italy, France and Spain), and even up into the Balkans, for almost 400 years, that the army cooks used recipes similar to those in the Sultan's kitchens, with some regional variations because of local food supplies. For example, stuffed cabbage is the southern Europe equivalent of stuffed grape leaves (leaves stuffed with spiced meat and rice).

Can I have dinner at your house? Sounds like dinner at my Italian friend's house when I was a kid in NY.

Mediterranean cuisine/diet includes the food from all of the countries that border the Mediterranean Sea ... that includes the islands in the Mediterranean, as well as the southern coast of Europe, the western coast of the Middle-East, and the northern coast of Africa. All of these areas share some things in common (a warm dry climate and diets high in olive oil, fruits, vegetables and fish/seafood, chicken, lamb and goat for red meat) - and yet subtle to vast regional and cultural differences using the same ingredients with a few changes (starches, herbs/spices, pork and beef in Southern Europe).

Wikipedia actually has a good discussion on this (saves having to reinvent the wheel) Cuisine of the Mediterranean that allows you to examine and compare/contrast the cuisines of the region.

I was going to say Mediterranean too. These ingredients feature heavily in a lot of Perth's meals that aren't Asian based. You have the makings of a great antipasto platter there.

based on what you mentioned the first thing that comes to mind is italian cooking. in my own opinion i think you are inclined to that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom