What temp to cook Pork Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvs2Cook

Head Chef
I normally do my pork roast in the crock pot but would like to do this one in the oven. It is 6 lbs., how long should I cook this, what temp and what internal meat temp should it be when done.

thanks

Cook it low and slow. 250 F for as long as it takes. For sliceable roast, shoot for an internal temperature in the 190 F range. For shreddable pork (pulled pork sandwiches) I aim for a temperature around 200 F.

I'm a low and slow kinda gal when it comes to pork roasts ... make sure you have a bit of added moisture. Pork butt shouldn't dry out like shoulder can, and I recommend seasoning well. Do you want it fall-apart done, or slicing for platter type done? I am all about the fall apart done on pork. My grandma cooks with sauerkraut and onions or apples. YUM.

you know, I'm not sure ... I am guilty of loading the stoneware baker and popping in the oven before work or on a lunch hour and serving when I get home. Your roast is much larger than I generally work with, so we'll have to defer to another expert. I would guess at least 30 mins per lb at 325 to start. This isn't for tonight, is it? If it is, I personally might start in a much hotter oven and lower after about 30 minutes.

I'd probably braise it on the stovetop like a pot roast, but the oven will work fine. Place the roast in a covered roasting pan, add a cup of water or other cooking liquid and bake at 350F for 2 hours. Then reduce the heat to 300F, add the sauerkraut and any other ingredients, and cook until tender, probably about another 2 to 2 1/2 hours for the weight you've given. It's really the tenderness, not the temperature, that tells you when it's done but you want it between 170F to 180F.

If you really want it falling apart tender like pulled pork barbecue, bake at 250F instead of 300F and allow double the cooking time (4 to 5 hours). Internal temperature should be around 190F when done. At 250F, it's hard to overcook it so, if you want, put it on before you go to bed and cook it all night.

IMPORTANT: Be careful with seasoning until you taste the kraut. Sometimes it's very salty. Bagged kraut is usually less salty than canned.

low and slow about 200 / 250, 6lb roast, how long would you suggest

You last post went up while I was still writing mine. Since you're cooking with liquid, you don't need to go any lower than 250F. If you cook at a constant 250F for the entire cooking time, allow 6 to 7 hours. All ingredients can be added at the beginning instead of in two stages as I suggested above, in which case you may reduce the added water since the kraut will be juicy.

You last post went up while I was still writing mine. Since you're cooking with liquid, you don't need to go any lower than 250F. If you cook at a constant 250F for the entire cooking time, allow 6 to 7 hours. All ingredients can be added at the beginning instead of in two stages as I suggested above, in which case you may reduce the added water since the kraut will be juicy.

wow, 6 - 7 hours in the oven, I thought by sidestepping the crock pot method this would be a lesser time. OYE. I think I'll just do the crock pot,
its much simpler.
thanks for all the advice. you guys/gals are terrific! :rolleyes:

I love making pork butt but I do it in my Dutch Oven in the oven. Takes way too long for the crockpot I think. By the time that hunk of meat comes to temperature, you've already used up nearly 2 hrs. cooking time.
This is one of the cheapest yet most flavorful parts of the pig and requires long, slow cooking. I brown well first, then put into a DO with 1/2 cup water or chicken broth. Cook covered for 50 minutes per lb. at 300. It will be "melt in your mouth like butter" tender and the juices make the most incredible gravy. Browning is the secret here.

Back
Top Bottom