What to cook for Dom Perignon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There used to be a wine show on TV with Spencer Christian. He said that you shouldn't save good wine for a special occasion, but to use wine to make any occasion special.

Hi again :)

Thanks for all the replies, and sorry I haven't had time to participate in the discussion myself. But please, keep 'em coming :)

I mean small as in appetizer sized portions, as ChefJune put it.

My first thoughts have been to make maybe around six or seven different dishes - some seafood, some veggies and one meat.

Asparagus would be very nice, but they aren't in season where I live (Denmark), and as a principle I try to use the things that are in season.

This is a dish that can be served as a "tapa" / small plate, or a regular main course. It goes FABULOUSLY with Champagne.

Shrimp de Jonghe

Shrimp de Jonghe was created by a Belgian chef/restaurateur in Chicago many years ago – probably in the ‘20’s. It’s been one of my favorite things to eat since I was about six and my “Fairy Godmother” took our family to a restaurant where this was a specialty. I figured out how to make it when I was a teenager, and the rest is history. I didn’t know until recently, tho, that it was unknown to most of the rest of the USA. If you like shrimp, you definitely should have this recipe!

4 to 6 servings

3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 to 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped (or to taste)
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup very finely chopped parsley
½ cup Fino sherry
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of paprika
2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined

1. Cream together butter, salt and garlic. Mix the bread crumbs, parsley, sherry, pepper and paprika with the butter mixture.
2. Put the shrimp into boiling water. Cover and remove from heat to remain only until they turn pink. Rinse with cold water and drain.

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter 4 to 6 individual ovenproof dishes, or one large casserole dish.

4. Divide shrimp among casserole dishes. Mound crumb mixture on top. Bake 20 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown and sizzling.

Teacher’sTip: Because this is so unbelievably rich, Shrimp de Jonghe doesn’t want much in the way of accompaniment. A simple salad with a vinaigrette or a plain-but-perfect green vegetable along with enough crusty bread to sop up ALL the sauce ­ will be PERFECT!

Back
Top Bottom