"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb "What To Cook Today?" - The Everyday Wonder

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

Another day goes by and I'm sitting in front of the laptop, wonder what to cook again. And as I was watching what have left in the fridge I came up with an idea for something cool. I though I would share it with you and see what you think about it.

So, as I said as I was watching the half-empty (half-full) fridge I saw potatoes, olives, onion, tomatoes, sausages, eggs, milk and some cheese. Usually in this kind of a situation I just let my imagination come up with something or improvise and see what happens (not going to lie, sometimes I come up with awesome stuff - pretty much "dinner from almost thin air" but other times I had to throw away whatever BS i have tried to make - not proud at all but it happens )

And I dont know about you but those kind of situations are pretty often in my kitchen! And it makes me wonder - isnt there a better way to solve this "what to cook" every day situation. The idea just hit me!

I want something, probably a website or an app (let's face it, we all use our iphones or smartphones in general every where, everyday) that would let me enter the ingredients I have and come up with already tested recipes or ideas for eventual meat. I'm so NOT a coder (oh, boy, I know nothing about it) but I believe that will help me (and every single woman and man who cooks) decide what to make for breakfast, lunch or dinner on a daily basis.

What do you think?

Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joansmith View Post
...So, as I said as I was watching the half-empty (half-full) fridge I saw potatoes, olives, onion, tomatoes, sausages, eggs, milk and some cheese....
Welcome to DC, joan.

You could grill the sausage. Make scalloped potatoes with the milk, cheese, potato and onion. Add a tomato and olive salad. The dressing is up to you.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Andy that's a good idea. Actually cooking right now, but how about my suggestion at the end? What do you think about that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Welcome to DC, joan.

You could grill the sausage. Make scalloped potatoes with the milk, cheese, potato and onion. Add a tomato and olive salad. The dressing is up to you.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I'm in the process of downloading an app right now that might be good. I will let you know.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Awesome, let us know :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I'm in the process of downloading an app right now that might be good. I will let you know.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Executive Chef

The app is called "love your leftovers". It actually looks pretty good. You can put your leftovers in and get different recipes to choose from, or you can just browse their recipes. It may be what you are looking for. I think I will keep it and give it a try. It is for apple products.

Or, you could just start a thread when you are not sure what to make and several cooks will help you out.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

By the way, I would have probably made some sort of breakfast casserole or something with the things in your fridge today, but that's me.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Wine Guy

Fortunately, this idea has already been done... a few times.

Check these out:

Supercook: recipe search by ingredients you have at home
Recipes by Ingredients - Recipe Matcher
Allrecipes - Search
Old 06-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Fortunately, this idea has already been done... a few times.

Check these out:

Supercook: recipe search by ingredients you have at home
Recipes by Ingredients - Recipe Matcher
Allrecipes - Search
The allrecipes one is great. I like that better than the app I found. I often times use recipes from that website anyway. Perhaps the op will like that one?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joansmith View Post
Andy that's a good idea. Actually cooking right now, but how about my suggestion at the end? What do you think about that ?

That could be a big help to lots of beginner cooks or just people who are looking for something new. It doesn't have to be limited to a smartphone app.

Tags
cook