What to do with Bacon Grease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lxndr said:
I knew someone who used to fry their eggs in it, splashing the hot oil over the top.

Wow! That brings back memories...I used to do that!...Splash the drippings over the yolk, and never turn it..May try it again just for fun!!!

Also....In a pinch it (bacon dripping) works well for axle grease on the Chuck Wagon..:ermm:

Wow! That brings back memories...I used to do that!...Splash the drippings over the yolk, and never turn it..May try it again just for fun!!!

Also....In a pinch it (bacon dripping) works well for axle grease on the Chuck Wagon..:ermm:
:LOL::LOL: i didn't know you worked the chuck wagon on cattle drives!! :ermm:

:LOL::LOL: i didn't know you worked the chuck wagon on cattle drives!! :ermm:

Yep....made many a cattle drive out of South Texas up to the rail head in Kansas City driving the Chuck Wagon...I guess the longest was from Lonesome Dove all the way up to the Powder River in Montana ....All the hands called me "Cookie" ...:ermm:

My WV Granma never had trouble storing it, she kept a strainer can by the stove and used it before it had a chance to go bad. There is also a "Home Cookin" restaurant in WV that serves bacon grease as a side. Go figure.

You do not have to keep it refrigerated I have an antique crock that says grease right on it...I keep it in the cuppord with my other oils.

You can use it for seasoning Green beans, Potatos, Pinto beans, lots of things....good to use if you just want a smokey bacon taste added to any bean soup. Bacon grease is a "Southern cooking" staple and I agree it is no less healthy for you than butter or margarine !!

Happy Cooking !!!

All these suggestions sound GREAT!
Since my wife does not care for the bacon fat to us as seasoning I have no reason to keep it.

Can't pour it down the sink drain -- Plumbers are EXPENSIVE!
Can't pour it in the trash bag-- Runs over every thing!
Can't dump it in the back yard -- dog tracks it in to the house!
My soulation is to soak it up with paper towels, then toss the towels in the trash.

Enjoy!
Charlie

Bacon Fat:

If you value your heart and arteries, you will put that bacon fat in a tin can and put it in the garbage. I have sometimes, mixed wild birdseed with it, frozen it and then put it out for the wild birds. They can use the fat to keep warm.

Geraldine Duncann

The Questing Feast

I'm surprised anyone cooks with bacon fat anymore. I love bacon and eat a slice or two every few months. I soak the fat with paper towels and then toss the soaked paper towels in the garbage.

After reading this thread, I am tempted to try to cook with it. Most of my grandparents cooked with bacon fat everyday and lived well into their 70's and 80's. My husband's grandpa used to soak his toast in bacon fat and he lived almost to 90!

I cook with bacon fat, every once in awhile. I am a firm believer in eating everything in moderation.

I cook my bacon in the oven - 400 degrees for 20 minutes. It comes out crispy and you don't get the smoke alarm going off. I drain off the fat into a container and use it sparingly to cook potatoes or to make Spaghetti Carbonara.

You pour it into a empty glass container, cover it, and put it in the fridge. It will harden and you can use it for cooking later or just throw it in the trash. Don't pour it down the sink!

Bacon grease is a food group to some of us country girls! You can fry nearly anything in it for extra flavor. I converted my city boy husband to popcorn popped in bacon grease very early in our marriage. Bacon grease can be used instead of oil in salad dressings. Wilted lettuce w/bacon grease is yummy! Corn bread made w/bacon grease is so tasty! As with any food, moderation is the key to eating healthy, but don't throw out that bacon grease unless your Dr forbids you to use it!

You’re all aboard the Cardiac express!

Just because someone enjoys bacon fat from time to time does not mean they will have any issues. All things in moderation. Drink enough water and it can kill you. Does that mean water is bad for you? Of course not. You would die without water. Many of us would die (or want to) without bacon fat :LOL:

Healthy

The reason for grease of a cooked meat, like bakon, to be unhealthy it's the fact that it was cooked once already.
The cholesterol is there, but the cooking process on a fat creates free radicals and breaks fat into smaller parts.
So bakon grease is not like butter assomeone said, it is much worse than butter.
Never utilise any fat, including oil, twice. If you fry. Don't use it twice.
If you use it twice, all protective parts of a fat were gone of first cook and second would create many unhealthy compounds. We are not talking of cholesterole, but mutagens.

Last edited:
To each his own,I save and use it now and again. It's used as a special treat maybe once a month. Eggs fried in bacon fat.hash browns,
a nice piece of buttered toast every ones happy .Emmmm. ;)
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom