"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I used some to replace part of the butter in a hash brown casserole I make fairly often and got rave reviews from the family.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #32
Senior Cook

I greased the bottom of my crock pot with it before tossing in the pork, which turned out to be pointless cause I then dumped the bbq sauce in. ;) I also fried my tomatoes for breakfast in it (the bacon grease). I pretty much greased everything this weekend with it. :)

Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #33
Cook

My mom used to put a little bit of bacon grease in her pie dough. I used to love it. I'm going to have to start saving it again. I used to save it, but I'm like Silversage. Would put it in the fridge and every so often find it and say 'gee I have to remember to use this'

Carol
Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #34
Head Chef

I love bacon grease. Sometimes, I'll render a package and throw away the charred meat. I'm not in the habit of jennifer's Aussie style of fried tomatoes for breakfast, but I think I may start with the increasing abundance of heirlooms at today's markets.

Try adding a few drops of bacon fat into your salad dressing emulsions. Big Diff!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I love bacon grease. Sometimes, I'll render a package and throw away the charred meat. I'm not in the habit of jennifer's Aussie style of fried tomatoes for breakfast, but I think I may start with the increasing abundance of heirlooms at today's markets.

Try adding a few drops of bacon fat into your salad dressing emulsions. Big Diff!
After reading Angelas Ashes I developed an obsession with frying tomatoes. Go figure. I've also been buying/cooking/eating a lot more potatoes these days, also. ;)

*which reminds me, I made the BEST mashed pot's the other day. I thought I'd ruined the batch by adding too much milk, looked soupy...but after letting it sit a few minutes, FANTASTIC. Fluffy and deelish.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #36
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer75 View Post
I developed an obsession with frying tomatoes.
I like to cook up the little grape tomatoes. Especially in one of those pans for the grill. I usually put some olive oil on them, but will have to try some bacon grease.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

yeahh I bet grape tomatoes in bacon grease anddd olive oil would be even better :)
Old 11-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Bacon fat certainly isn't the healthiest fat, but it doesn't take much to make a big difference in many foods listed before. I don't think anything can flavor a pot of green beans better. Also just a bit of bacon fat flavors peppers and onions a lot. I don't use it in anything sweet, but almost anything else is made much better by the use of it. But we like bacon too, and that is probably the unhealthy part so we don't have it often.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #39
Senior Cook

I use it for cooking eggs and potatoes. It is also good to add into refried beans and some gravy's.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

I knew someone who used to fry their eggs in it, splashing the hot oil over the top. I always questioned the health aspects of it. It was sorta tasty... In a greasy kinda way.