What to do with Bacon Grease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Save it and use it for cooking eggs and other foods that would benefit from a smoky bacon flavor (just about everything, in other words).

Or toss it.

Covering the bacon tightly and refrigerating it will be adequate to keep it almost indefinitely. I usually put mine in the freezer and then use a knife or spoon to scrape what I need. I've had the same container in my freezer for years.

I love to add bacon drippings to the pan I cook cornbread in and also add it to green beans when I want a nice smoky bacony flavor.

Mushrooms fried in bacon fat are truly marvellous. Especially if the bacon is smoked. They really take on the flavour. Unhealthy, yes. A little of what you fancy though.........

Keep it in the freezer as Katie E says. and cut out a chunk when you need it

I save mine in a jar to use when making a roux for gravy, and I've been known to just barely melt it in the mircowave, and drizzle a little in with my ground chuck when making hamburgers. I also use it 50/50 with butter to grease the skillet for frying eggs.

fry potatoes and onions in it for homefries.
saute the onions and carrots for split pea soup.

great for fried potato, adding to saute veggies for soup, love, love brussels saute in the bacon fat after they have been steamed. you don't need alot of the fat in using to saute etc. adds so much flavor. I have even added some in making biscuits. add a whole new flavor to them.

great for fried potato, adding to saute veggies for soup, love, love brussels saute in the bacon fat after they have been steamed. you don't need alot of the fat in using to saute etc. adds so much flavor. I have even added some in making biscuits. add a whole new flavor to them.
i never added it to biscuits. do you melt it or add it cold with the shortening/butter? or brush it on top?

Cooking bacon? pour off most of the bacon grease drop your eggs in the pan, let them start to set and then spoon some of the hot bacon grease you've saved over the tops of the eggs.No need to turn them..if you add some brown sugar and pepper to the pan before putting in your bacon, put it in turn it over then put in the oven..get a slab of bacon and cut it yourself in nice thick slices..heaven on a plate.
kadesma

Last edited:
As mentioned, bacon fat is great for everything :)

If you are looking for a recipe, try searching for German Bratkartoffeln (fried potatoes). Someone mentioned home fries above, which are similar.

I save it and save it and save it and save it until I have enought to deepfry fried chicken. Then I go to the hospital and hook myself up to machines.

msmofet
I add it as a solid mixed in with the shortening.

Chef Munky
I also use it when making doggie treats they love them. Who doesn't love bacon.

Back
Top Bottom