What to do with Black Truffles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cc2003btw

Cook
Evening, (morning americans)

I've been given some black truffles for my birthday, so has anyone got some good recipes that use them. I can't think of much apart from grating it on top of pasta in olive oil.

You can also slice them very thinly into salads.

But as of yet my recipe collection does not contain a recipe that uses this fairly exclusive ingredient.

Wow. I'd love to have your problem!

No recipes but you can improvise with finely chopped truffles (use thin truffle slices for garnish) -- Truffle Omelette. Truffle mashed potato. Truffle and mushroom saute. Truffle (& mushroom) risotto. Truffle sauce on steak.

Though I've never had the opportunity to work with hte truffle itself, I have often worked with trufle oil, both black and white.

The flavor of truffle has a mild "bite" to it, especially compared to the common mushrooms found in our supermarkets. It lends itself very well to a mixture of onions, portabellos (or cremini), All saute'd together in a good EVOO, then added to a good buttery roux. Add cream or milk and a touch of finely ground black pepper, a little salt, and you have a truly wonderful mushroom soup.

Use the truffle sparingly as it is a very powerful flavor and can overwhelm the other ingredients.

Another great flavor combination is to use them with EVOO and sun-dried tomatoes to make a pasta sauce. Use with a good cheese, like Fontina.

In the same way, use truffles as a flavoring for beef and poultry gravies and sauces, or insert truffle slivers as you would lardoons in a good beef roast.

One other thing to remember is that the truffle is very aromatic, carrying its flavor through volatile oils. If you smell it heavily in the air, that flavor is lost to the food. So take care to preserve the flavor by adding at the end of cooking time, or by coating the food, as in the case of the roast, with a coating to seal the outer skin. Use a complimentary glaze, such as a meat sauce, cooked onto the outer skin.

Another possibility is to toast loaves of itallian bread, that have been liberally spread with a combination of truffle blended with olive oil, and split llengthwise, over a wood fire. Then rub with raw-peeled garlic to make a variation on the Bruschetta theme.

Hope this gives you ideas.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Aren't these things sniffed out of the ground by good Labs or pigs in France and then gathered/dug by hand? Only to wait how long before there's enough to ship?
I would question how "fresh" they could really be and ask for a taste sample on a toothpick :ROFLMAO:

A truffle is a very rare variety of mushroom that is highly prized for its unique and powerful flavor. Wikipedia page for Black Truffles

They grow best in France in Italy, in clay-based soil. They are sniffed out by pigs traditionally, though I imagine a dog could be trained to search for the same smell.

To the OP- as for how to use them I would recommend risotto. If you would rather do pasta do a filled pasta. Make ravioli or agnolotti and fill them with truffle butter. I believe Thomas Keller does an agnolotti filled with truffles and white corn. You could also shave them and serve a shaved slice of truffle on top of blini, or you could top a seared scallop with a slice of shaved truffle.

All I have is clay soil... I think some of the landscapers I met with called it 'gumbo' soil. Think maybe I can grow some truffles in Texas???

In all honesty, I would love to experience the flavor, but I have never had the pleasure. Maybe I will spend some of my savings just to try a truffle. I guess if I spend that much to buy one, might as well higer a chef to do it justice!

Evening, (morning americans)

I've been given some black truffles for my birthday, so has anyone got some good recipes that use them. I can't think of much apart from grating it on top of pasta in olive oil.

my beef wellington recipe called for truffles... but i substituted by using white mushrooms with truffle oil... im sure beef wellington made with your truffles would be outstanding...

I mean if you are going to eat a 400$ mushroom you cant have it with a .99 cent box of pasta!!! Go to the butcher and get a nice cut of meat and really treat yourself!

Last edited:
On one of Colameco's shows there was a dish that made my mouth water. I can't remember all the ingredients but it consisted of lobster tail topped with a fried egg and shaved truffles. I think there was some sort of sauce there too.

On one of Colameco's shows there was a dish that made my mouth water. I can't remember all the ingredients but it consisted of lobster tail topped with a fried egg and shaved truffles. I think there was some sort of sauce there too.

ummmmmmmm.....

YUM! :)

they grow underground usually under oak trees..I think they use dogs mostly now to hunt them, because pigs will eat them.

Yes, I was watching the Animal Planet Eukanuba Dog Show one day and there was a brief skit on one of the dog breeds that does it for a living in Europe. They were showing how the breed can be trained to sniff and point them out. :chef:

slide slivers under the skin of a whole chicken and poach it in stock. Classic dish known as Poulet Demi-Deuil (half-mourning). :chef:

You can put a truffle or two in a bottle of olive oil and make your own truffle oil.
Did you all know that the "truffle oil" we all buy is made with chemical flavors, and not with truffles at all?????

I wouldn't spend my truffles on making truffle oil! way too costly. :ermm:

I really want to figure out how to make the grilled cheese with truffles. They had it on Gossip Girl and she oohed and ahhed. Do you think that would work as well as they claim?

Back
Top Bottom