What to do with chicken feet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acc2020

Assistant Cook
I purchased some chicken feet from a chinese supermarket but realised when i got home i don't have a clue how to prepare them.

Any ideas in what to do with them , i ideally would like them as a starter to blend in with a european menu.

Sorry, but I can't help but giggle over your question. My first reaction is "throw them away". I'm curious what possessed you to purchase them in the first place? :ermm:
i ideally would like them as a starter to blend in with a european menu.
For a company dinner?

At any rate, welcome to DC, I hope someone can help you, but I don't have a clue.

GRANNY’S CHICKEN FOOT SOUP

4 to 5 pair chicken feet
4 to 5 lbs. necks, backs and wings
1 large carrot
1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, including leaves, cut up
1/2 bay leaf 6 peppercorns 8- 10 c. cold water
wash feet and chop off claws
lay feet in shallow pan and pour boiling water over them to cover.
when cool, skin the feet. put all ingredients in a stewing pot. bring to a
boil. reduce heat and simmer until chicken and vegetables are tender.
remove meat. skin the meat or remove from bones and set aside.
strain the soup and, if necessary, boil down for a stronger consistency.
add the meat to the strained soup before serving
this soup will chill to a firm jelly.​
serves 6-8

I got carried away in a chinese supermarket , i purchased almost one item of everything , i felt like a young kid at christmas.

Once i got home i realised i didn't have a clue with what to do with chicken feet.

I got carried away in a chinese supermarket , i purchased almost one item of everything , i felt like a young kid at christmas.

Once i got home i realised i didn't have a clue with what to do with chicken feet.

Thanks for responding, 2020. I understand about getting carried away. ;)
I see Lucky has a recipe for you,
wash feet and chop off claws
That gave me the chivers. :wacko:

Have at it, and have fun.

I know what you mean about getting carried away. Some thing happened to me when they opened a new Korean market near my office.

I have never had chicken feet, but I believe I have heard that braising them is the way to go. Sorry I do not have a recipe for you.

Personally, I would have a hard time getting up the nerve to try them, just because of what they look like, but I have heard they are absolutely delicious so I am sure my stomach and taste buds would overrule my eyes and I would end up trying them. The same thing happened with me with sushi and now that is my favorite food so I would hope I would overcome the ick factor and realize I do not want to miss out on something so potentially awesome.

Good luck and let us know how they turn out.

Think you're out of luck because apart from including chicken feet as an ingredient in 'western' chicken soup, (not usually done) they aren't an item in European cuisine. China by far, the biggest user of chicken feet, and they also used in parts of the West Indies, South Africa and the Philippines.
LOL, they're also an acquired taste!

Chinese-style, they are tasty and fun to eat, in a "trying-to-tie-a-cherry-stem-into-a-knot-with-your-tongue" kinda way.

The ick-factor comes from something entirely different that takes some getting used to. It's common Chinese table manners to spit out chicken feet, and other indigestible food parts, into a totally gross lump onto the table cloth next to your plate. To be polite, you should cover your mouth, as if coughing, so no one can see the food disgorging. Hey, when in Rome...

I would just use them for stock, acc. There's no meat on them, just bone and cartilage.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can also boil to death, then flour and fry, and finish by tossing them in a sauce of your choice, treating them the same as you would for buffalo wings.

This is why I love DC. Whenever someone needs help, everyone is willing to bravely jump in with both feet. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, whatever you do with them, do let us know. Even though I have always shied from them, curiosity is my true downfall. :) I'll try most anything...at least once.

~Kathleen

A friend of mine buys chicken feet in a Portuguese market to use in his chicken soup.

It is a good ingredient to add to chicken soup to get the gelatin in the result. I have a soup recipe that calls for adding them in along with a whole chicken but I never add them in because I am too lazy to go and find them. :)

Hello all,
I joined some time back, but with my old computer problems, and subsequent 'crash', I've been absent a while. Whew...wish I knew more about these things; lol.

Re: the chicken feet; they are excellent for soup. I used them when we raised our own chickens. Of course, that meant an extreme washing first (eew), and then dunking in boiling water a minute or two; peeling, cutting off the claws (even more eeew; lol) and then adding to soup or whatever.

They really do add flavor!! A friend of mine used to cook them and give them to her grandson to nibble on, and he loved them!! I've not done that for my grandkids tho; AS IF they would even consider that!! :LOL:

My Bubby (Jewish Grandma) always used chicken feet when she made soup. And I used to love to eat them.....they're a pain to clean properly...they must have boiling water poured over them, let them soak a bit, then peel them,.....actually, I used to enjoy peeling them for her....ROFL I don't think they can be purchased in a regular butcher shop....

Back
Top Bottom