What to do with leftover parsley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sephora said:
I bought some Wednesday of last week and it was dead by yesterday. Is it because NC is humid as the devil's spa?

How did you have it stored? The higher the humidity the slower things dry out - so I doubt that high humidity was the problem.

buckytom said:
i don't get it.

korean chimichurri (garlic-parsley sauce)?

lynan, i think you thought of kimchi. you could eat the parsley after the kimchee to help stinky breath.

Just catching up with this thread again....

Yes, I did mean kimchi, a wee bit confused I was, and yes also to the stinky breath. Parsley sure does help after my garlic prawns!!:rolleyes:

I dont know if anyone else has mentioned it, but parsley pesto is lovely. Just use flatleaf in place of basil. No stalks though.:)

Also, parsley is a natural diurectic so anyone with fluid retention would benefit from a surplus in their gardens.

Michael in FtW said:
How did you have it stored? The higher the humidity the slower things dry out - so I doubt that high humidity was the problem.
It didn't dry out. It mushed up. I had it in the crisper with the humidity control nob (that is probably just a joke) turned up to 10 for high humidity climates and left the bag it was in open at the top. Went to grab it and it was mush.

SHAMALICIOUS said:
Fish & parsley pie
How about a recipe for this one, Shama????

I chop it with garlic and butter in the Cuisinart, and store it in the fridge or freezer for Persillade..... it's great as a quick topping for broiled fish or grilled chicken breasts, or on top of pasta or stirred into rice! Persillade isn't just for Escargots any more! :LOL:

chimichurri is a great idea as cliveb said!! you can also make a pesto with basil and parsley and store under half inch of olive oil to preserve it refrigerated (i would leave out the parmesan for better preservation, you can add it when serving it)

parsley

What i do with my left over parsley
1. chop up and freeze, in a plastic bag. Good for adding to cooked dishes.
2. Submerge in oil, to be used in salad dressings.
3. Submerge in vinegar, to be used in salad dressings.
Mel

Mel! said:
What i do with my left over parsley

2. Submerge in oil, to be used in salad dressings.

Mel
Please do not keep this for longer than 10 days. You are just playin with fire otherwise.

That is a prime growing ground for botulism. It goes in anaerobic environments (no oxygen). Anything that grows in soil (garlic, peppers, etc.) and is covered in oil should be kept in the fridge and used within 10 days for this reason.

on a similar line as the others that freeze I do that also, wash well, blitz it a little in a blender but then I pack mine into an ice-cube tray and freeze then, when frozen you can pop them all out and bag them up.
take out what you need when you need it, all in nice little measured doses :)

You could make a yummy chutney

1 cup parsley
1/4 cup mint
1/4 cup coconut
1 lemon
salt

mix all the ingredients in a food processor, add water for desired consistency.
if it is being used as a dip then put very little water. you could also use it as a spread on sandwiches. its really simple and we have this when we need to pack a quick snack. this stays for a week in the refigerator. you could omit the mint as it makes it darkens the colour of the chutney after a day.
this is not a fixed proprtion of ingredients. you could alter it to your liking.

Hey up, folks!

I buy my curly parsley in a bunch with stalks about the size of a large grapefruit. I use a few strands for stews or chop up enough for my requirements. For the unused parsley I run it inder the tap, shake off all the surplus water, put it in a plastic bag, twist the opening and put it in the veg basket of my refridgerator. It will keep perfectly fresh for about a week, mayne two.

Make sure the parsley is damp and not wet. If it is too wet it tends to rot, but if only just damp it keeps fresh for a long time. If you forget it for three or more weeks it rends to dry out and not rot, and is still useable. But I use it so often I seldom have problems with it rotting or drying.

You can feed it to your iguana. They love it, and it freshens their breath, too.

Back
Top Bottom