"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-15-2006, 01:59 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't get it.

korean chimichurri (garlic-parsley sauce)?

lynan, i think you thought of kimchi. you could eat the parsley after the kimchee to help stinky breath.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:18 AM   #12
Cook

Parsley pesto works well with a lot of things just make it like basil pesto. I am not sure how long it will last or how to preserve it though.

Pressure canning?????

Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

If you want to keep it for about a week:

(1) Stick it in a glass of water (like you would for flowers) and keep it on the counter for about a week.

(2) Take about 4-5 sheets of lightly dampened paper towels (don't seperate them) and lay the parsley out on them ... then loosely roll them up and place in a plastic bag that is NOT sealed (sealing it will promote the growth of mold) and store in the vegetable bin in your refrigerator.

For longer storage:

(3) Freeze - lay out on a sheet pan in the freezer until frozen and then bag.

(4) Dry - spread out on something like a cooling rack - NOT directly on a counter top (the surface on the counter top will not get air circulation and it will prolong the drying time) - or use a food dehydrator - or use string to tie the stems together and then hang from a location that will get good air circulation.

Amount to use - dry VS fresh: The general rule is 1/2 the amount of dry for the quantity of fresh called for in a recipe (for example: 1 Tsp dry to 2 tsp fresh) - drying concentrates flavor (you lose the volume from the water in drying). BUT - different herbs loose their flavor at different rates when dried - so start with 1/2 the amount and then TASTE and adjust as needed. The older - the less flavor.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Michael, I didnt see your post until today. I was going to mention that I was watching a show on foodnetwork and happened to notice when they opened the refrigerator, there was a bunch of parsley in a vase of water. I tried that idea, and here it is, two weeks later and the parsley is nearly as fresh as the day I bought it. I know it's just parsley, but why waste food right? I've used it many times since I bought it. I also trimmed bottom of the stems so it keeps drinking water, same as you would do with a vase of cut flowers.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

The vase method is great. I do that with asparagus as well as herbs.
Right now, I have a "bouquet" of cinnamon basil in a dark spot on my kitchen counter. Basil seems to prefer not to be in the fridge. My whole kitchen and living area smell great.

If I have an extra amount of parsley or basil, as I do when I have it growing in my vegetable garden, I put it in the food processor and give it a spin. I then put the pureed herbs in a ziplock, mash it out real thin, seal and freeze. You can then break little pieces off when you need it, and the aroma and taste is as fresh as if you just picked it!

I haven't had a decent parsley crop for two years. Last year, it got washed out, and this year, I couldn't find any plants. It's easy to start from seed, but that must be done earlier, so I'm doing without except when Kim buys me a bunch.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Constance, thanks for the tip about basil in a vase. I have alot of basil in my garden. I still have some basil in the freezer from last years crop!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I got a big surprise today when I pulled the basil I picked up last weekend out of the glass of water, Roots!!!! So, I took part of it and transplanted in the shade in a large pot and this evening gave it a drink and sprinkle and it's doing fine...In the morning I'll put it in the morning sun and then set it back in the shade in the hot afternoon, til it gets use to being outside,I'm curious to see how long I can keep it going

kadesma
Old 08-27-2006, 10:12 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Are you talking about basil that was cut off above the root that you put in water and it then rooted?
Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Are you talking about basil that was cut off above the root that you put in water and it then rooted?
Yes Amber I am..I've started many plants from cuttings, but, didn't even think about it when I stuck the basil in the water, so I was surprised when I pulled it out to use some today.

kadesma
Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I bought some Wednesday of last week and it was dead by yesterday. Is it because NC is humid as the devil's spa?