What To Do With Old Grease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher's Mom

Executive Chef
I have a question - what do ya'll do with the used cooking oil and grease? I know you're not supposed to put it down the drain because it's bad for pipes but what do you do with it? I've been putting it in cans and plastic orange juice containers so far. My friend said you can re-use the oil used to deep-fry but it looks gross to me.

Terry

I would not reuse it to deep fry, use the freshest oil possible for that. But I do the same as you do. I pour grease off into a can or disposable container. If there is a better way to discard of it, I would love to know!

Depending on how much I have, I pour it into old coffee cans (I always save them - they're so handy for so many things around here) or empty dog food cans & put into the trash.

I routinely use Peanut oil twice for frying. Strained, placed in a coffee can, and in the fridge it works fine. I have used it three times, but it's a stretch.

I routinely use Peanut oil twice for frying. Strained, placed in a coffee can, and in the fridge it works fine. I have used it three times, but it's a stretch.
Uncle Bob, that's what my friend said and I always use peanut oil for frying. She also said to fry a potato before you strain and store the oil. She said it absorbs flavors picked up from whatever you were frying - especially seafood. Have you heard of this?
Terry

If you have used bacon grease, you can freeze it in small margarine containers and put it out for the birds in the winter. If you mix it with birdseed, so much the better.
The wild birds need that fat to keep warm in cold weather.

Uncle Bob, that's what my friend said and I always use peanut oil for frying. She also said to fry a potato before you strain and store the oil. She said it absorbs flavors picked up from whatever you were frying - especially seafood. Have you heard of this?
Terry

Miss Terry, I'm not certain of any "science" behind the potato trick. I do know this however, after I fry fish, the last thing I fry is a handful of french fries, and they sure are good!!!!:LOL:

Enjoy!!

If youre inventive, I read somewhere used oil can be used as a fuel source...dont ask me how.

I save mine and put it over the food for my outside kitties, especially in the wintertime to give them calories and fat for warmth.

I always have a container of bacon grease in the freezer because I have to have it for my cornbread.

If you have used bacon grease, you can freeze it in small margarine containers and put it out for the birds in the winter. If you mix it with birdseed, so much the better.
The wild birds need that fat to keep warm in cold weather.

Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest. That's basically what those "suet" balls are that you can get at garden/nature stores. Birds love and need that fat/protein mix.

I used to make little bird feeders by collecting some giant pinecones (you know the big ones that are like the size of a fist) and covering it with a thick layer of bacon grease (or all natural, no additive) peanut butter and then rolling it in bird seed. You then hang a strong string from the top and hang from branches for the birds. :)

Back
Top Bottom