What to do with pork hocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cook it for a long time. Then take all the meat of the bone, grind, put in a shellow dish. Poor the liquid over the meat. Put in refrigerator over night. Serve cold. It will be kind of like meat jello. If you are interested, I'll give you details.

Cook it for a long time. Then take all the meat of the bone, grind, put in a shellow dish. Poor the liquid over the meat. Put in refrigerator over night. Serve cold. It will be kind of like meat jello. If you are interested, I'll give you details.

What do you serve with it?

Most of the answers to my pork hock question were about ham hocks. What I was asking was about pork hocks { not ham cured]
Grandma Rose

Most of the answers to my pork hock question were about ham hocks. What I was asking was about pork hocks { not ham cured]
Grandma Rose

Though the suggestions I gave would work equally well with ham hocks, I was concentrating on the flavor and texture of the pork hocks, and what they would go well with. But I did forget another flavor combination, pork hocks would be great cooked with black-eyed peas, or with lentils. The natural pork flavor lends itself to rice dishes, and of course any of the legume family. Add onion, and make it sweet or savory.

The jelled liquid from the cooled broth of boiled pork hocks would have to be seasoned as a broth with salt, and perhaps a little pepper. The meat should be removed from the bones and shredded, then added back to the broth, and the whole thing chilled in a gelatin mold, or shallow bowl with sloping sides. The final gelatin is called an aspic and is often served with crackers or toast points.

Or, should you prefer, the pork hocks can be grilled over charcoal and wood, seasoned, and then the meat can be removed and served as a side dish. The bones, cartilage, and connecting tissue should be saved to make a broth, or aspic.

An interesting way to use the broth would be to serve it very hot, with veggies and noodles, that could be added to it, like at a pho restaurant.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom