"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I am inundated with rhubarb. My neighbor graciously asked if I would like some and I jumped at the offer - I love rhubarb but now I have a giant box FULL. Anyone have some great ideas outside the usual sauce and pie?

Last night I made sauce and stuck it in the freezer (15 pints) and there's hardly a dent in the box.

HELP!
I have a great idea, either give some to someone else or throw it out.

Frank 2022

Old 08-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
Senior Cook

A lovely, light and delicious recipe for a lot of rhubarb

Apple and rhubarb purée with almond brittle

Serves 4

For the purée:
400g rhubarb
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp orange juice
500g sweet apples, such as Cox's

For the brittle:
50g skinned almonds, or halved pecans if you prefer
75g caster sugar
5 tbsp water

You will also need a non-stick baking sheet.

To make the purée, cut the rhubarb into short pieces, scatter over the sugar and the orange juice and bake for 20-25 minutes at 200C/gas mark 6 till soft enough to crush. (You can cook it over a moderate heat if you prefer.) Mash with a fork. While the rhubarb is cooking, peel the apples, core them and cook with a couple of tablespoons of water, no sugar, over a moderate heat. Crush to a purée with a fork.

To make the brittle, tip the nuts into a shallow pan and toast over a high heat for a minute or 2 till golden. Put the sugar into a small saucepan with the water and bring to the boil. Leave to bubble fiercely, without stirring, until the syrup changes to a rich brown. Tip in the toasted nuts, then pour the mixture carefully on to a lightly oiled non-stick baking sheet and leave to harden.

Smash the brittle into small pieces and set aside. Serve the 2 crushed fruits mixed together and scattered with almond brittle.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
A lovely, light and delicious recipe for a lot of rhubarb

Apple and rhubarb purée with almond brittle

Serves 4

For the purée:
400g rhubarb
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp orange juice
500g sweet apples, such as Cox's

For the brittle:
50g skinned almonds, or halved pecans if you prefer
75g caster sugar
5 tbsp water

You will also need a non-stick baking sheet.

To make the purée, cut the rhubarb into short pieces, scatter over the sugar and the orange juice and bake for 20-25 minutes at 200C/gas mark 6 till soft enough to crush. (You can cook it over a moderate heat if you prefer.) Mash with a fork. While the rhubarb is cooking, peel the apples, core them and cook with a couple of tablespoons of water, no sugar, over a moderate heat. Crush to a purée with a fork.

To make the brittle, tip the nuts into a shallow pan and toast over a high heat for a minute or 2 till golden. Put the sugar into a small saucepan with the water and bring to the boil. Leave to bubble fiercely, without stirring, until the syrup changes to a rich brown. Tip in the toasted nuts, then pour the mixture carefully on to a lightly oiled non-stick baking sheet and leave to harden.

Smash the brittle into small pieces and set aside. Serve the 2 crushed fruits mixed together and scattered with almond brittle.
Linux, That recipe caught my eye too! It sounds fantastic. I think his roasted chicken sounds like a good dish to make some fall evening - or even a wintery dish. For those interested, here is the link!

~Kathleen
Old 08-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
Linux, That recipe caught my eye too! It sounds fantastic. I think his roasted chicken sounds like a good dish to make some fall evening - or even a wintery dish. For those interested, here is the link!

~Kathleen
Oh, super - thank you! We are very fond of Nigel, his recipes we widely source because they adapt so easily for our brasserie's menus. And our customers keep coming back. We would so love to meet him.

This apple and rhubarb purée with its delicate almond brittle is perfect after a big meal, when all one wants is a dessert packed out with delicious flavours, but sits well on an already full tum. That said, the purée when chilled down in the fridge doesn’t hand around for long.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
Oh, super - thank you! We are very fond of Nigel, his recipes we widely source because they adapt so easily for our brasserie's menus. And our customers keep coming back. We would so love to meet him.

This apple and rhubarb purée with its delicate almond brittle is perfect after a big meal, when all one wants is a dessert packed out with delicious flavours, but sits well on an already full tum. That said, the purée when chilled down in the fridge doesn’t hand around for long.

YW! I bet the combination of flavors is amazing! I'll have to make it when the weather cools down for us.

~Kathleen
Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
YW! I bet the combination of flavors is amazing! I'll have to make it when the weather cools down for us.

~Kathleen
I'll give you tip about rhubarb. You know it's a pain to move around, or split the roots? Grow the brute on a compost heap, or one specifically set aside. Similarly, do the same for horseradish. The roots of it are even worse! But placed on a 'dunged-up hill' of about 3ft high, digging out the root is easy-peasy.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Baked Rhubarb (Rhubarb Sauce)

Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds rhubarb, peeled if necessary, and cut in 3 or 4 inch stalks.

1/4 cup water.

1 to 1-1/2 cups sugar.

Dash of salt.

Procedure:
Arrange the rhubarb in a 1-1/2-quart casserole with a cover. Add the water, sugar to taste, and salt. Cover tightly and bake at 350-degrees F. 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Chill and serve. Cooked rhubarb is good served with heavy cream or sour cream, with fresh strawberries if you like.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Rhubarb Julip is nice. Blitz stewed rhubarb with runny honey to taste, spritz it with homemade lemonade 50/50 and garnish with 5 spribngs of fresh mint.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #19
Head Chef

check out my post for rubarb dessert

Rhubarb Dessert TNT
Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Get some little ramicans cups, chop it up, mix it with some brown sugar, butter and dried cherries. Bake at 375 for 40mins. Yummy.