What to do with tamarind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to all for the tips. I didn't ask the question, but when I saw a block of it, I bought it and tossed in the freezer. I'd have sworn I'd seen it often in recipes, then suddenly I didn't see it anywhere!

Absolutely, the best thing I have found to use it with is eggplant...

Mind you I use tamari sauce but I would guess that is what you have if you add some water.

Tamari sauce is like a slightly sour version of soy sauce so it should go well with anything that likes slightly sour flavor. I guess this is how I would approach the problem of what do w/ it, think what goes w/ sour.

My eggplant, I stir fry the egg plant, w/ garlic and add a chile sauce. Garnish w/ cilantro and the tamari sauce. The difference between using soy and using tamari in this sauce is positively amazing. (I salt the eggplant for an hour before I fry it, this seems to help stir fry recipes as it lessens the water, but dont do it for italian recipes like breaded eggplant, somehow it makes it too bitter)

jpinmaryland said:
Tamari sauce is like a slightly sour version of soy sauce

Tamari is actually a type of soy sauce. It was originally the byproduct of making miso. It is naturally fermented in wooden casks and has special bacteria added. Other soy sauces can be artificially fermented and have to have color added to make it dark.

It is like shoyu, but without the wheat.

what exactly is miso? They use it a lot on iron chef. is it like a bean paste? If so what flavor?

jpinmaryland said:
what exactly is miso? They use it a lot on iron chef. is it like a bean paste? If so what flavor?

Miso is fermented soybean paste. Soybeans, salt, harmless mold and often a grain like rice are mixed up and allowed to ferment for a long time.

Miso paste is a savory condiment used in Japanese, Korean and other cusines. It does taste quite different than Chinesebean paste, I assume because of the way it's made.

Americans are often familiar with miso soup (miso paste, plus seaweed, plus bonito (fish) made into a broth) and/or miso salad dressing.

There are different varieties which depend on the ingredients and how long they are fermented. White miso, for example, is very mild and savory and makes a great soup or salad dressing base. You can find it in most "natural" or "whole" foods markets. The darker the miso, the stronger the flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom