What to do with Worchestershire sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know a lady who pan fries her chicken, puts in a roaster pan then shakes a little worchestershire sauce over it, and bakes it in the oven at about 325 for about 35 minutes covered in foil. I like my fried chicken crispy, but I have to admit, her chicken does taste pretty good.

a good seasoning addition to stews of many types, especially beef and lamb. A great marinade for beef. Used in cheese sauces like a cheddar Welsh Rarebit, or a mac n cheese. Good for bloody maries or virgin maries too.

Sprinkle over a roast or add to the gravy of a pot roast.

I make a Long Island clam pie and it is essential to that and a good clam chowder too!

I throw WS into just about anything!! ... Probably my most used condiment after salt, pepper and garlic.

That's true for me as well. I add a drop or two to the eggs for an omelet, to most vinaigrettes, to quiche, spaghetti sauce and most soups.

I bought a big one and I know it's gonna sit in the fridge; any suggestions as to what it's good for? I bought it for a fish salad.

Hi MostlyWater,

Worcestershire sauce is a preserved bottled product which will last for ages - nay - years! Add a bit to beef stew and it will "pep" it up. Leave it in the cupboard for a year and it will come to no harm. Indeed a bottled "Worcestershire" sauce does not need to be stored in a fridge. Add a dash when making a Partan Pie (Crab) (Scottish and classical dish using crab) and it will be divine.

Unless the climate demands specific storage, a Worcestershire sauce should and could be stored in a cupboard!

Add a bit (couple of drops) when making a prawn cocktail (to "pep" up the sauce in the absence of Tabasco to season a Marie Rose sauce) or a Shepherd`s or Cottage Pie to give flavour!

Hope this helps.
Archiduc

Worcestshire sauce uses

I have a 15 oz. bottle of French's Worcestshire Sauce in my refrigerator that I've hardly used. I'm glad to see that I can add it to many of my recipes. :chef:

my grandmother was a country girl and back when I was growing up all condiments were kept on the table in the kitchen.....that included W. sauce, tabasco, black strap molasses, sugar, salt, pepper, etc., and covered with a cloth ........grandma made everything on that table.......cookies, pies, bread, etc..........we ate in the dining room on another old table..........

Max------15 oz is a lot!!!!! but at least it has a long shelf life..........I use mine mostly in meat loafs and grilling hamburgers......welcome to DC! :)

I go through the Worchestershire sauce in my house so fast it just sits on the counter 24/7/365. I use it in almost anything with beef, hamburgers, hamburger pie, stuffed mushrooms, as one ingredient in my steak marinade, my bread bowl with cream cheese, add to ketchup for a different flavored topping for hamburgers. Many, many things. I can never have too much of the stuff.

Oh, and I cannot stand Lea and Perrins. I don't know what it is about their brand but Wally World's is better than theirs to me. I grew up on French's and I still love there. I'd but it by the vat if I could find it.

I go through the Worchestershire sauce in my house so fast it just sits on the counter 24/7/365. I use it in almost anything with beef, hamburgers, hamburger pie, stuffed mushrooms, as one ingredient in my steak marinade, my bread bowl with cream cheese, add to ketchup for a different flavored topping for hamburgers. Many, many things. I can never have too much of the stuff.

Oh, and I cannot stand Lea and Perrins. I don't know what it is about their brand but Wally World's is better than theirs to me. I grew up on French's and I still love there. I'd but it by the vat if I could find it.

L & P would be my choice but it just goes to show - chacun a la goute or as others would say - each to their own (taste)!

All the best,
Archiduc

Ohhh steak or these i have made these for parties and I am not really a fan of mushrooms, SOO GOOD

Mushroom Rolls
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 lb chopped mushrooms
1/4 C butter or margarine
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 loaf - white sandwhich bread (square style loaf is better)
melted butter or margarine for brushing
Saute the mushrooms, onions and butter in frying pan until soft and onions are clear
Add cream cheese in chunks. Add next 4 ingredients. stir until cream cheese is melted. Let cool.
Remove crusts from bread and roll each piece with a roliing pin. spread mushroom mixture on each slice and roll up like a jelly roll. brush with melted butter. (you can freeze them at this point if you wish) Cut each roll in three pieces and arrange on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 F for 10 to 1

Worcestershire sauce is awesome with any beef dish!
Never really tried it with anything else though...

Dear All,

Partan Pie - one of the best uses for Worcestershire sauce known to wo/man!

OK, so what is Partan Pie?

Well, it is crab with a few spices which need to be used judiciously. It is a classic Scottish way of serving crab,hot and as a main dish. Follow it or precede by a salad or serve with a salad and plain boiled new potatoes.

You want a recipe - sorry but that is impossible as it depends on the weight and size of the crab and your ability to season the crab to your taste and that of your guests. I can give you a method for this classic, Scottish dish - but not EXACT quantities.

Now there are two predominant flavours in the dish - the first is that of the crab - sweet and fishy, and the second is that of the combined spices - hot and rounded due to the Worc.sauce which is an aged product. The crab flavour should remain predominant and the spices plead on the first bite to be more - by the last bite they will be happy to secondary. Sorry folks, but this is the only way I can use to describe the dish using crab, mustard (smooth French Dijon Mustard), cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce and a touch of breadcrumbs and dots of butter!

The crabs should be boiled and cooled. All the meat - white and brown should be removed and set aside until ready to make the dish. Refrigerate the crab meat if necessary. The shell(s) should be prepared as for a dressed crab, washed and set aside.

When you are ready to make the dish, rub the crab shell with a piece of kitchen paper dipped in flavourless oil. Place on a baking tray and place in a low oven to heat through.

Have ready breadcrumbs and very small cubes of butter (could do these in the morning).

Place beside your cooker a pot of smooth French mustard, jar of cayenne pepper, bottle of Worcesterchire sauce, salt and pepper. Melt butter - maybe about 30 to 50 gms per whole crab and gently sauté the crab meat - and lots of teaspoons for tasting. Add mustard, pinches of cayenne and dashes or Worc. by degrees to the sautéed (in butter) crab to flavour the dish without over powering the flavour of the crab. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning. As I`ve said it is impossible to give exact quantities of the seasoning. If making a Partan pie with a 2 lb crab (prior to boiling) one might add 1/2 level teaspoon mustard (smooth French) before adding Worc. sauce (4-6 drops) and then see if it needs cayenne pepper.

Place the seasoned, hot crab meat in the shell or divide the meat between the heated shells. Top with breadcrumbs and dots of butter. Flash under a grill until the breadcrumbs are browned and serve.

All the best,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom