What to do with Worchestershire sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I don't think she said it HAS to stay in the fridge. She just said that is where it will be. Doesn't mean it has to.

Because some people just refrigerate thier condiments.
Nothing wrong with it, she did not ask us to pass judgement on where she keeps her Worcestershire sauce, she isn't hurting anyone by keeping it there.

Oh for heavens sake - I just thought I was missing something or incorrect in keeping it in the pantry all these years. Whatever!!! :rolleyes:

Same here beginner, but after finally using up a bottle of vintage soy sauce, dating back to the mid-eighties, I've decided to start keeping my new bottle in the fridge with my Lea & Perrins. I just feel better doing that. Trying to extend it's shelf life....
The teriyaki I just bought said to refrigerate after opening. I would have thought they were all pretty much the same. Guess not.

Not to worry Breezy, you are safe leaving your stuff in the cupboard.

Breezy was just asking a question, not passing judgement. Clarity is important here.

Mostly Water, why don't you try using our search function for some of these questions. Use Advanced and type in the correct spelling of your ingredient and look for it in all posts and you will get what you need much more easily than posting a new thread for each ingredient.

Not to worry Breezy, you are safe leaving your stuff in the cupboard.

Breezy was just asking a question, not passing judgement. Clarity is important here.

Mostly Water, why don't you try using our search function for some of these questions. Use Advanced and type in the correct spelling of your ingredient and look for it in all posts and you will get what you need much more easily than posting a new thread for each ingredient.

I've seen three different spellings of worcestershire sauce in this thread, not to mention my latest referral as Lea & Perrins.....
I'd type in any spelling and name closely resembling what I was looking for, but that's just me. ;)

Actually, all the bottled Teriyaki (& similar sauces) I've ever bought DO say to refrigerate after opening, which is what I definitely do with them.

Unlike plain soy, they have other ingredients - including sugar - that can spoil/mold unless in the fridge.

wow I never even thought of that!! interesting;)

You really ARE young! :LOL: It's GREAT in a bloody mary.

Click here

Once there type Worcestershire in the upper line of your choice (this is one word you can misspell and come up with more ideas too :LOL:).

Then once you type that in go to "Search within a site or domain:" - type in www.discusscooking.com

Then click on Advanced Search in the lower right-hand corner. It then takes you to this page. Voila!!! More ideas than you can shake a stick at!

You can then do that with dried pineapple and condensed milk or anything you may be searching. MW, this isn't meant as a way to NOT help - it's meant as a way to help you do these searches for yourself and gather the information from the posts that are useful to you, personally, rather than people posting things that don't suit you, or you can't use.

I use Lea & Perrine's in my cheese soup when ever I make beans of any kind all ways on burgers. It is almost a universal sauce to be used where ever you want a burst of flavor

:rolleyes:I will take that as a compliment:ermm::LOL:

Ok so I was curious.....just checked my bottles, which are in the fridge...the worcestershire does not say to refrigerate, however both soy & teriyaki sauce say to keep in fridge after opening.

Absolutely a compliment - but certainly an observation as to the many mysterious uses of Worcestershire :LOL: I've used it in my Bloody Mary's since I was in my 20's.

And yes to cocktail sauce - it's a must!

I use the stuff for many things. BBQ sauces, in coney sauce, on steaks, burgers, many savory items benefit from the flavor. I go through 3 or 4 big bottles a year.

I throw WS into just about anything!! Obviously anything with beef (spag bog, savoury mince, steak, etc) but also, fish cakes, meat and veg soups, Hot Dragons' Toasts (which is a bit like Welsh Rarebit but much more basic), seafood dressing (mayo based), roast chicken, sauted mushrooms, mashed potato, curried eggs, even omelettes, pates, kidneys, some dishes with bacon, etc. Probably my most used condiment after salt, pepper and garlic.

Give your basic "Mary" a twist or two:

Bloody Bull: replace 1/4-1/2 of the tomato juice in a Bloody Mary with beef broth + the other regular ingredients of WS, celery salt, black pepper, etc. If you replace the vodka with tequila - I think they call it an El Toro Rojo.

Of course for those who don't drink alcohol ... a Virgin Mary and a Virgin Bloody Bull taste just as good - just without the buzz.

Poor Man's Bloody Mary (red beer): Use 3/4 beer (flat leftovers work just fine for college students - just strain out the cigarette butts from the cans/bottles/glasses you scavenge from around the apartment) and 1/4 tomato juice (use V-8 juice for the Health Nuts) + the other regular ingredients of WS, celery salt, black pepper, etc.

I think everyone else has just about covered all the other bases on the unlimited uses for WS. Maybe not every recipe - but a significant representation of how it can be used to get someone started.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom