what to make with leftover heavy cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i used it in mushroom soup, and i'm gonna use some in curried carrot soup, but it's a bigger-than usual container, (maybe a pint?), and i don't know what to use it for. i don't want to make whipped cream since i hate most sweet foods. i would shake up a jar of butter, but we have a surplus of butter going in the fridge as it is. i plan on baking a pan of macaroni and cheese, but i only add 1 cup of cream to that. any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks. btw, nothing sweet, okay? i'll probably have about 1/3 cup left once i make my other foods with cream in them.

Do you drink coffee? You could use it in that, or tea. If it's too rich for you to use it "straight" add a little milk to it.
Or make some hot chocolate with it and milk.

How about a bolognese sauce for pasta?

Just Google and you will find a number of recipes.

It is a nice meat/tomato sauce and the cream takes a bit off the acidity of the tomatoes, as well as adding flavor.

Just an idea. I hope it helps.

This is my 13 yr. old's all-time favortie meal that we learned from Emeril:

Pasta with Peas and Bacon Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

1 pound cheese filled tortellini
3 ounces fresh bacon, julienned (about 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons chopped onions
6 ounces heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh peas (blanched), or 4 ounces frozen peas
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and black pepper
Chopped parsley

Place tortellini in the pot of boiling water.
In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, place on a paper towel to drain. Pour out all the bacon grease except for 1 tablespoon. In the same skillet place the onion and cook for 2 minutes, or until golden. Pour in the cream, and reduce until lightly thickened.

Remove the pasta from the water when it is al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and add the pasta to the cream mixture. Add bacon back to the pan along with the peas and cheese. Reduce for 1 minute. Toss and adjust the seasonings. Spoon into a large pasta bowl and serve. Garnish with additional grated Parmesan and chopped parsley, if desired.

I make penne alla vodka with it. Basically, just a nice tomato sauce and toss in your leftover cream and a shot of vodka. Serve over penne.

Alix said:
I make penne alla vodka with it. Basically, just a nice tomato sauce and toss in your leftover cream and a shot of vodka. Serve over penne.

I will make the salad with tomatoe basil dressing. We will have chocolate for dessert....

all great ideas! i can't use it in coffe or make chocolate dishes/drinks with it since i don't consume caffeine, but i have plenty of great ideas now; thanks! :D

pdswife1 said:
I'd use it on oatmeal. Yummy!

is there anything better? i LOVE cream or half-and half on oatmeal. i even have hazelnuts and dried cranberries to have with the oats. mmm... great idea! :)

luvs_food said:
pdswife1 said:
I'd use it on oatmeal. Yummy!

is there anything better? i LOVE cream or half-and half on oatmeal. i even have hazelnuts and dried cranberries to have with the oats. mmm... great idea! :)

Nope.. nothing better than I can think of... the cranberries would make it even better. Enjoy!

you could make pink vodka sauce for pasta, or sausages and broccoli rabe in a pink sauce. like auntdot said, it cuts the acidity and adds flavor.

Back
Top Bottom