What to serve as a side dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
So its my night to cook for my mom dad and sista. Im doing chicken cordon blue. its flattened chicken with ham and swiss cheese rolled up in side and then dipped in egg batter and cornflakes. Ill be serving a salad with it but i need a carb with it. so what are some good side dishes that are carbs that i can make besides rice. we had rice last night. that that goes great with chicken and is easy to make.

thanx in advance

When I was growing up, our carb of choice was always buttered noodles. That was my dad's fave, and I still like it and use it often with chicken. You can toss the noodles with some of the pan juices instead of butter, for a very coordinated flavor, if you like.

I know you said starch, but how about asparagus? Works nice with the sauce too.
I was thinkin of that. somethin like bacon wrapped asparagus, but momma said no. even though im cookin it, gotta make momma happy.

The bacon might tend to fight with the chicken. I would keep the asparagus as fresh as possible. Sautee or roast with EVOO salt & pepper. Maybe a squirt of lemon.

Tell Mama shee needs to eat healthier.:LOL::chef:

I would like tiny new potatoes braised in butter and chicken broth with this dish. When they are cooked through, garnish with freshly chopped Italian parsley.

So its my night to cook for my mom dad and sista. Im doing chicken cordon blue. its flattened chicken with ham and swiss cheese rolled up in side and then dipped in egg batter and cornflakes. Ill be serving a salad with it but i need a carb with it. so what are some good side dishes that are carbs that i can make besides rice. we had rice last night. that that goes great with chicken and is easy to make.

thanx in advance

Since you have ham in the main dish & serving a salad...

Capellini or angel hair with oil/garlic (aglio olio), and sprinkle w fresh parlsey. You could add some sauteed shrooms.

Pasta & pesto (basil or sun-dried tomato)

Fetucinne alfredo

Pasta w fresh tomato sauce - diced tomatoes, fresh basil & garlic(a light sprinkle of fresh grated parm, if desired)

Couscous

Orzo

Tortellini

Parslied/buttered egg noodles w S&P

Lemon Parsley roasted (or boiled) red potatoes

Penne and zuchinni (as a side, I would use a thin spaghetti/pasta) - try a search here for vyapti's recipe.

Last edited:
Brown rice with a handful of shredded carrot (adds a bit of sweetness), cooked in chicken broth.

Or, if you have some leftover rice in the fridge, chicken fried rice.

Or, better yet, Louisiana style dirty rice, made with chicken livers and gizzards.

Add a vegetable medley to balance out the meal.

I would go with a light pasta dish as well...maybe the buttered noodles with some fresh parsley and garlic.

If it were me, I'd serve something to compliment the chicken and not over power it. The chicken is the star. Roasted potatoes or mashed.

If it were me, I'd serve something to compliment the chicken and not over power it. The chicken is the star. Roasted potatoes or mashed.
Yep, you can't go wrong with either of these. Try mashing your potatoes with sour cream and chives, then baking them about 20 minutes--so good!

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom