What type of Peppers are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I'm growing lots of container veggies, etc this year. I planted (or so I thought) 3 little tiny jalepeno plants. Well, two are looking and acting like jalepenos, with small, dark green peppers. Then there's this one! This particular photo was taken about 2 weeks ago, and currently the peppers are about 6" in length, but the same color. I'm thinking someone at the nursery switched the name stakes!
Can anyone tell me what kind of peppers I have?
(I bet kleenex will know!)
Thanks, all!

I only grow red and yellow bells and mild Italian long green. But these remind me of the yellow banana peppers I've seen at the market..

kadesma

Last edited:
Great pepper site, jennyema! I now know that I want some peruvian purples!
The tabasco peppers seem to be growing upwardly in singles, but mine are clumped together.

I just checked my Dave DeWitt Chili Pepper Encyc. (duh). There's a black and white picture in there that looks like yours. It's labeled "Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot chile." His leaf description looks like yours, too. Says they're prolific with long growing season.

Kleenex, the photo is small, but I enlarged it a bit and it does look very much like my peppers! Thanks!

And, as a lovely parting gift, here you go:

candywarehouse_1855_44054694
habanero lollipops.

Oh, dear. One thing no one has mentioned, that I've seen, is that peppers cross-polinate VERY EASILY. I'm not kidding, super easily. You can very well wind up with a variety that is un-named, no matter what the nursery thought they were selling you. My husband had seeds for peppers he just loved. One year he harvested the seeds and we got really oddball peppers that looked nothing like the peppers he harvested them from. I mean, these were up-growing peppers, yellow in color. The peppers the second year were totally different. If you want to play Darwin, grow peppers, because you can really finagle with evolution.

I'm with kadesma - sure look like banana peppers to me, too. But, I have forwarded the pic to my daughter-in-law and I'll let you know what she thinks when I hear back from her ... and she knows her peppers!

Looks like Hungarian Hot Wax to me...that's a great pepper. I used to sell lots of them out of the greenhouse.
Try slicing them into rings and canning them...they are great on sandwiches.
As for someone switching the tags...probably wasn't nursery employees. People used to pick plants up, pull the tag out to read, then stick it back wherever. They'd also pick containers of plants up, then set them back in the wrong trays.
What I finally did was to display the hot peppers on one side of the greenhouse, and sweet ones on the other. I also displayed one variety of peppers, one variety of tomatoes, peppers, tomatoes, etc. in order to try to keep things straight.
We still ended up with strays, though. If I didn't know what they were, I gave them away to some of my gardeners who had some extra room.

Right now we are experimenting in new colors for peppers. This year at one of the grocery stores I go to I found white, chocolate,and purple bell peppers for sale.

I saw for sale in an ad for lilac colored bell peppers. I have also seen Chocolate Habanero seeds for sale.

I just love new varities!!!!

Constance, you may be onto something.I went outside and noticed a tiny blush on the tip of the largest pepper this morning. And, I just googled the hungarian hot wax pepper and it said it's maturity color is red. ....hmmmmmmmmm!

My guess is Hungarian Wax too. We grew some of them a few years ago, and that is what they looked like. They do get red, but it takes good sun and patience sometimes for them to turn. They are still perfectly edible when yellow.

Not terribly hot, but good flavor. As I recall, they were good sauted with sliced zuchini and yellow squash.

First of all .....Kleenex, the photo is small, but I enlarged it a bit and it does look very much like my peppers! Thanks!

And, as a lovely parting gift, here you go:

candywarehouse_1855_44054694
GROSS!!!

Sorry to anyone that relly likes thoughs...are the for real?

Second of all.....

So maybe these peppers are jkatheneros then...or jkathapenos?

PRICELESS!!!

always for a good giggle!!!

I'm going to vote for Hungarian Hot as wll, since they look just like the ones we have in our garden.

We like to pick them just when the tip starts to turn, and the rest of the pepper is bright yellow. They're really good mixed in with refridgerator dills, and also if pickled with the brine for bread & butter pickles...

John

Back
Top Bottom