What type of pork chops for sweet mashed potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jared_mizanin

Assistant Cook
Hello all,
I'm new here and admittedly a terrible cook. I work for my dad at his bar and have to cook specials, which is extremely difficult for me. Anyhoo, I've decided to make pork chops for Monday's special with sweet mashed potatoes. I have a recipe for the latter (which uses sweet potatoes, milk, butter, honey, and brown sugar) but I don't know what type of pork chop would go best with this.

What I have to work with is a boneless pork tenderloin. Normally, I dip each chop into flour, then an egg mixture, then into bread crumbs seasoned with oregano, salt, and pepper. I then brown them in a buttered pan, and finish in the oven (our oven is awful by the way). I then top with gravy. I'm just not sure if this type of pork chop will work with sweet mashed potatoes or if there is something else I could try. I don't mind trying new things, but when I wander into unfamiliar territory I'm more likely to screw up, culminating in me feeling like crap!

Any suggestions?? As well, what's the difference between Red yams and Golden yams? Yams are sweet potatoes, right? Which should I get for my recipe? I checked out the local supermarket and that's what I could find...

Thanks all!

For boneless pork tenderloin, you could just grill it and serve it sliced with the mashed sweet potatoes on the side.

You could also slice the tenderloin, pound it out to a cutlet, then bread it and fry it. If the patrons require gravy, you can do that too.

Try some cinnamon in the potato. Also, both honey and brown sugar may be too much.

The pork should be kept very simple when serving with sweet potatoes to provide the needed contrast of flavors. Roasted with pan sauce or gravy is a great way to bring out the flavors of both.

I would brown the tenderloins (perhaps with garlic confit and bacon tied between them), then roast them until just barely done, make the drippings in the pan into a delicious pan sauce.

Are you using a boneless pork loin or a pork tenderloin? Big difference in moisture when cooked.

Back
Top Bottom