What vanilla to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thymeless said:
In cooked foods, Cook's Illustrated blind tasting panel found no difference between artificial and the real thing. Except cost of course.

In uncooked foods, they could tell the difference and preferred the real thing.

I don't bake a lot of sweets so I don't sweat it too much.

thymeless

And I say that is just unbelievable--but they printed it. Vanillin has a very definite taste that is not pleasant.

Ishbel said:
Seriously, I've had quite a few friends/acquaintances fall for the 'amazing value saffron' scam. I was caught by my greed. I even questioned the stallholder, who'd lived in London, and who categorically assured me it was 'genuine saffron, powdered as is the custom here'.... YEAH, right!

It's happened to friends on Cyprus, Paxon, Rhodes, Crete (me and two others with me at the market in Chania!) and Corful.

As they sell it on market stalls, I suspect the authorities are either turning a blind eye, or are unaware of the scam!! :)

The "powdered as is the custom here" is a red flag right off. I'm well enough acquainted with the Greek stuff sold in supermarkets ... and it ain't powdered!

Was kidding about taking it up with the authorities :blush:, so please don't hold your breath for results. I wouldn't know where to get a "saffron authority" if I tried. Wonder what the package's small print in Greek said, though?

scott123 said:
Your bil is incorrect. Some commercial vanillas contain sugar/corn syrup but many do not and are still dark colored. The reason why your homemade extract wasn't as dark as the commercial stuff was because you weren't using enough beans. For 750ml of vodka (I'd, personally, use grain alcohol for a cleaner taste) you'd want to use at least 12 beans, definitely not 4.

Yup--many many many beans at a cost of how much for a homemade bottle of "vanilla"!!! I have tried--just not for me in the least.

I went on:

www.penzeys.com and ordered their free catalog and then went on their

search-vanilla-and got their prices and some great recipes. I see they have a store in Madison, Wi., the next time I am there to visit one of my sons I will have to stop in. I love those kinds of stores.:wub:

I'm not really sure what the brand-name of the vanilla I use it, but I know that it's pure vanilla. One of my friends only uses artificial vanilla extract, and I can always tell. The first time, she had made brownies, and I was eating some, and couldn't really tell what that flavor in the background was... Then she told me about how she always uses imitation vanilla, lo and behold, the taste I was thinking about a split second earlier was the similiar-to-maple flavor of artificial vanilla. If I didn't have good vanilla, I would definitely use an alternate, not inferior, flavoring.

-Tim

JoAnn L. said:
I went on:

www.penzeys.com and ordered their free catalog and then went on their

search-vanilla-and got their prices and some great recipes.

For herbs/spices Penzeys is phenomenal, but when it comes to vanilla, I'm going to repeat what I said before- Penzeys vanilla is a huge ripoff.

college_cook said:
I don't bake much, so I normally use the imitation stuff if I'm just experiemnting or making something on the fly. When I do some serious baking then I pull out my botle of pure vanilla extract.

An interesting sidenote about flavor differences, I love the flavor imparted by vanilla beans a gazillion times better than any extracts or imitations I have tried. The restaurant I work for actually makes their own vanilla extract, and I'm curious s to how the process is done. I do know that Absolut vodka is involved in some way. (For those who don't know, "pure vanilla extract" labaled vanilla products contain around 32-35% alcohol)
Actually ethyl alcohol (the brand Im familiar with is called Everclear) is better to use than vodka as it imparts less of it's own flavor to the extract. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you just have to put several pods in a bottle of alcohol and leave it to soak for a couple of months to extract the flavor from the vanilla beans.:chef:

RPCookin said:
Actually ethyl alcohol (the brand Im familiar with is called Everclear) is better to use than vodka as it imparts less of it's own flavor to the extract. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you just have to put several pods in a bottle of alcohol and leave it to soak for a couple of months to extract the flavor from the vanilla beans.:chef:

Where does one buy Everclear?

I use Tahitian vanilla! Wonderful stuff, but I dont think it makes its way out of the South Pacific.:) :) :cool:

bevkile said:
Where does one buy Everclear?
Everclear is a brand name of grain alcohol. It is illegal in some states. In know that it is illegal in MA so we need to go to NH to buy it. Usually it is not in plain sight. You would have to ask an employee for it. They would go in the back room and get it for you. It can be very dangerous stuff if used carelessly.

I agree with RP that if you are going to make your own vanilla, Everclear is better, as it will simulate real vanilla extract much more closely.

I can always taste the vodka in home made vanilla, and I don't care for it too much.

Anyone remember Everclear and Hawaiian Punch parties in college?? :sick:

GB said:
Everclear is a brand name of grain alcohol. It is illegal in some states. In know that it is illegal in MA so we need to go to NH to buy it. Usually it is not in plain sight. You would have to ask an employee for it. They would go in the back room and get it for you. It can be very dangerous stuff if used carelessly.

...and you use it to make your own vanilla extract???

GB said:

I still don't know what kind of a store to go to. Pharmacy or liquor, hardware or gas station?:rolleyes: Maybe I should just stick to vodka. My taste buds are jaded anyway. Besides, I like vodka.

JoAnn L. said:
Do you have a favorite brand of vanilla? I was at WalMart this morning and found that they carry the Watkins Brand. They had 3 different types, Imitation, Pure and Double Flavor. There are so many different brands in the stores and so many different prices. Are they all pretty much the same? What do you recommend?

I usually go with McCormick's, as it's readily available in my area, and have never been disappointed.

Last edited:
bevkile said:
I still don't know what kind of a store to go to. Pharmacy or liquor, hardware or gas station?:rolleyes: Maybe I should just stick to vodka. My taste buds are jaded anyway. Besides, I like vodka.
Sorry bevkile! I got so caught up in answering your question that I never actually answered it :-p

A liquor store is where you would find it.

Andy M. said:
...and you use it to make your own vanilla extract???
I have never made my own, but my wives bridesmaids maid it as favors for her shower. They used vodka. If I were to make it and grain alcohol was available then that is what I would use. I would not make a special trip to NH for it though. I would just use vodka if grain was not easily accessible.

They sell Everclear in Illinois so I put a bottle in my luggage, which come to think of it probably wasn't a very good idea:ohmy: . The vanilla I made was pretty good, but it does really depend on the amount and quality of the vanilla beans you are using.

Besides making vanilla (or other extracts, I suppose), there isn't a whole lot to use Everclear for if you are over the age of 25.

jennyema said:
They sell Everclear in Illinois so I put a bottle in my luggage, which come to think of it probably wasn't a very good idea:ohmy: . The vanilla I made was pretty good, but it does really depend on the amount and quality of the vanilla beans you are using.

Besides making vanilla (or other extracts, I suppose), there isn't a whole lot to use Everclear for if you are over the age of 25.

It's also used for making such delights as limoncello, an Italian dessert liqueur. You put strips of lemon zest in a bottle of grain alcohol, leave it to soak for a couple of months, then strain out the peels and cut it with sugar water to taste. Like vodka, you store it in the freezer and serve it very cold. Done right, it's like liquid lemon drops, but with a kick... :LOL:

Vanilla

I buy fresh vanilla, in the pods. I think the fresh real ones taste better, and are healthier. I dont know any particular brand name. But fresh is fresh. Any brand would be good.
Mel

Actually, Everclear is over-kill ... at 95% Ethanol (grain alcohol) = 190 Proof. It is illegal in Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Washington, California, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, Virginia and West Virginia (and that might not be a complete list) ... although some of those states may allow the sale of the "low octane" 151 -Proof (75.5%).

Pure vanilla extract is generally made from 35% ethanol (70-proof) alcohol ... check the labels. Most "homemade" vanilla extract is made from grinding up vanilla beans and soaking them in Bourbon.

Double-Flavor vanilla flavorings are actually lower in alcohol (around 8.5%) - but contain "impurities" - added sugars and artificial vanillan flavorings.

Arificial vanialla is "usually" alcohol free and composed of synthetic "stuff" but doesn't really taste like real vanilla - usually based on the fundamental vanallian andsome sugars but lacks the true depth of flavor which is composed of over 200 different "flavoids".

I buy Watkins "Pure V. Extract" because that's what I grew up with - I've tried store brands and they were really crap.

Now, to be honest - I've never tried the stuff from Neilsen-Massey. But, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and giving it a try this Christmas to see if it is any better than Watkins (which is also made from the same beans).

Mel! said:
I buy fresh vanilla, in the pods. I think the fresh real ones taste better, and are healthier. I dont know any particular brand name. But fresh is fresh. Any brand would be good.

Actually, Mel - if you ever got a "fresh" vanilla bean it would be green and you wouldn't like the taste! As far as being "healthier" - I sincerly doubt you can show where one bean is "healthier" than another - or that one extraction method is better than another. Vanilla beans are not fresh produce ...

Back
Top Bottom