"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Yeah, problem is, it's 17.31 here and I'm cooking tonight! Maybe next time though! Thanks for your help, I'm off home!

Old 09-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #12
Everymom

Oops. Ok, didn't realize you were across the ocean from me! Enjoy your dinner!

Old 09-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Your dinner will be perfect!!!! Enjoy and let us know how everything turned out. Do that rice in chicken broth!!!!! Alix and I said so, that's why

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I endorse the rice idea, but would like to add something I like to serve to company. It's called green bean bundles. Buy about 1/2 pound of green beans. Try to pick out the smallest beans or, if you can, buy haricot verts, which are tiny green beans. Also get one yellow squash about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Divide the green beans into four stacks, about 12 beans per stack should do it. Cut the squash into -inch slices. Hollow out each slice to within inch of peel. Thread the bean stacks through the squash rings. Put the green bean bundles in a vegetable steamer and steam them, with a lid on, for about 4 minutes or until the beans turn a bright green and are tender.

While the beans are steaming, heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add some minced garlic, chopped shallots and about 1/4 teaspoon of dried tarragon and mix well. Cook until the garlic is tender but not brown, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.

Lift the green bean bundles out of the steamer and either put them on dinner plate or on a serving platter and drizzle with the olive oil mixture. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve while warm.

If you want to go the "extra mile" for presentation, you might want to nestle some sprigs of fresh tarragon and some grape tomatoes with the green beans.

Your girlfriend sounds like a lucky girl. Women like men who cook.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Since you have lots of flavors in the main dish, I would keep the sides simple, and lean toward Italian sides for chicken with mozzarella and basil.

Angel hair pasta with garlic and evoo (aglio olio), buttered parsley noodles w a spritz of lemon juice & S&P, linguine with pesto sauce (toss in some halved cherry tomatoes for flavor and color). In a pinch, you can buy the pesto ready made. A basil pesto will carry over the flavor of the basil in the chicken, to the noodle. Or an uncooked tomato sauce for the pasta - garlic, basil, evoo and diced fresh tomatoes.

On the veggie side, steamed broc, asparagus or Italian green beans - saute the green beans in Italian dressing. Roasted asparagus (veggies) are the best. You can find many veggie dishes/recipes on this site in a search.

Serve with wine and a light dessert -- i.e. fruit or chocolate dipped strawberries.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
...you might want to get some zucchini and dice it up and then just lightly fry it in some butter and sprinkle it with some seasoned salt
Hi Alix,

A twist I do to this is instead of dicing the zucchini, I use a Y-type vegetable peeler and shave off thin ribbons of the whole zuc. Saute and season. Pile ribbons in a mound when serving. Makes for an elegant side dish!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #17
Everymom

Hey Chopstix, thats a great idea! Its one of those ones where you smack your forehead and say, why didn't I think of that sooner! I'm trying that one soon. I have a giant zucchini on my counter and its going to be part of tomorrows dinner.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #18
Head Chef

You're very welcome Alix! :-D

Oh, and I don't peel the zuc, to give the ribbons a nicer appearance.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Probably too late - but still...
Lots of protein and fats on that chicken, so I'd go for rice too. Add a 1/2 cup peas, a handful of cashew nuts and golden raisins, fried in butter, and a tablespoon of coriander leaf ( cilantro) or parsley.
Slice up some fresh carrots into julienne. Boil in salted water until barely cooked; remove, drain; return to a buttered pan with 1/2 cup dry white wine and 1/2 cup orange juice, plus a pinch of cinnamon. Add a tbsp of honey just before serving.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:52 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Hello Amateur.

I think since that recipe is so full of protein and so rich in fat, what u need is something light and fresh, to go with it.
I would make a salad, served with a fresh tangy and sweet dressing. And also, some light and airy bread. eg chiabata(hope i spelled that right)

Mel